MSC Virtuosa Cruise Diary October/November

SonofTertius

23 October 2022 - Day 1 - Southampton Embarkation Day

What on earth?! Felt as if I was attending a football match today. The amount of people getting on this ship is just ridiculous. I cruised twice during Covid and dare I say; I enjoyed the empty ships.
the checking process from start to finish took about an hour and a half and we arrived on the ship just before 14:00 after starting the process at around 12:30. It wasn’t disorganised but it was BUSY. Have I mentioned how busy it was? 
The ship itself is humongous and give some of the RCL ships a run for their money in terms of the sheer size. The passengers however, well, we can compare them to a Carnival crowd.  

The emergency drill at 14:00 was an utter mess. It was so confusing and they had all 5000 guest-people that are onboard cram into the staircases and muster points. I know it’s a legal requirement but why can we go back to the Covid style drills where people didn’t have to all be crammed into small muster points spaces - this is surely the perfect opportunity for a virus to spread. Talk about virus, MSC - your hand sanitiser stations are all empty. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

Have they changed the muster drills?   Up to when I was last on board at the end of May, you watched the drill in the cabin, phoned, then made way to the muster station to have the card scanned.

That was the process last week as well.

• Like 1

We were on last week, and believe me, this is just the start of the nightmare - the line for shuttle buses in the first port was 1hr to town and 2.5hrs back. Getting a seat in most bars was nearly impossible, and even if you did, a drink took between 20 and 30mins to arrive once you found someone to order it from. Disembarkation this morning was just crazy - over an hour, taking your own bags off. 

Oh, it is so nice to be home.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nigelc said:

We were on last week, and believe me, this is just the start of the nightmare - the line for shuttle buses in the first port was 1hr to town and 2.5hrs back. Getting a seat in most bars was nearly impossible, and even if you did, a drink took between 20 and 30mins to arrive once you found someone to order it from. Disembarkation this morning was just crazy - over an hour, taking your own bags off. 

This time of year in the UK is always busy for cruises .. people wanting to catch some sun before winter .. and last week was half term in Scotland for a lot of schools, and it's this week in England.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nigelc said:

We were on last week as well and there were far too many people onboard. I didn’t have an issue with the shuttle to La Rochelle as we went in on the first one so no queue but I did see the line of people waiting on my return.

We had a great holiday as we could use the YC facilities where there were always seats and attentive service. I do however think the cruise lines are getting too greedy and it will come back to bite them. People will not tolerate those queues and lack of space / service.

I hope the OP has a great holiday and makes the most of it. Day 1 is always a little fraught.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Have they changed the muster drills?   Up to when I was last on board at the end of May, you watched the drill in the cabin, phoned, then made way to the muster station to have the card scanned.

This is exactly how we did it just last week (16th Oct).

• Like 1

Oh Dear God. We booked our first MSC, departing Hamburg on the 8th.. Got a good deal, just to get away knowing the time of year and itineray IMO is horrible.

So there are that many people willing to sail western/northern europe in late fall????

I hope I dont regret booking this. We were covid spoiled with half empty ships..

• Like 2

Sorry you are having such a terrible time on Virtuosa - and I hope the medivac'ed passenger is in the best place for help.   Your experience of the ship doesn't echo either my two cruises on board her at much quieter times.

Although personally not a fan of children in any setting - you have managed to find yourself slap bang in the middle of English mid-term holidays this week, last week was the Scottish ones, and next week the Welsh ones - it would have sent me running.   That said, I will concede that Virtuosa was clearly built with families in mind.  You only have to look at the two top decks.  

On the plus side, I'm glad you enjoyed Hola!.  The food is lovely, and my favourite venue.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 1:11 PM, mousefan73 said:

Oh Dear God. We booked our first MSC, departing Hamburg on the 8th.. Got a good deal, just to get away knowing the time of year and itineray IMO is horrible.

So there are that many people willing to sail western/northern europe in late fall????

I hope I dont regret booking this. We were covid spoiled with half empty ships..

Well, look at the price of your cruise (I am on board as well) and you know why it is popular 😉 But no school holidays, so I am not too pessimistic. Maybe not half empty as the Virtuosa was in February, but that times are probably gone. 

And if you are frightened about the long lines at embarkation, just go late. The ship leaves Hamburg at 9 pm, I am sure late afternoon the waiting time will be zero. 

• Like 2

Thanks to the review.

This is not the MSC I know. Surely school breaks coupled with understaffed ships pave the way for bad service elsewhere (not only but including MSC). How can I understand you on whether the cruise lines will to "receive it" in return: Less bookings one day.

The industry is changing as a whole, MSC also. Not for the better most of the times lately, despite some wonderful new designs popping up here and there.

Either way; there are just a few options now:

1) Pay above the premium to go on a mainstream flagship, and endure the early bird bugs.

2) Pay premium to go on 2000-3500 guests per ship oriented company.

3) Pay discount to travel like cargo on a gigantic barge.

There are sadly little alternatives, unless one travels less times to go once in a long time on a small vessel oriented luxury line. Wonderful if you can find a mainstream older/smaller ship doing a nice itinerary near you. Forget: They're doing the Premium Lite more "exotic" itineraries.

I'd like to be optimistic, but I need to be realistic. Cruise lines are desperate to make "easy" money to recover from the last 2 years break. We had one of the MSC Fantasia class vessels linked to the airbridge here on Lisbon's main terminal for most of 2020. That will be paid elsewhere from anyone...

Meanwhile, for the ones flexible enough on their planning: Try to avoid school break weeks. At least with less kids, there'll to be an at least a far better environment!...

Have a nice day and at least try to have the best of it. The seas are calling! I'd to be on that "mess" in a second if I could, instead of sitting right now on this not so pleasant cloudy rainy Lisbon's day!

• Thanks 1

Day 6 - continue…

Have Indochine booked tonight. MDR last night wasn’t too bad. Mediterranean Night with calamari starter and Turkish lamb chops were really nice and flavoursome. Service was good too. We skipped breakfast this morning to get off the ship early. Funchal is amazing. Love it here. We’re back on the ship now and will set off in about 15 minutes time. I’m at the back-back of the Marketplace in our Sanctuary. Grabbed some scones off the buffet for afternoon tea - beat scones I’ve ever had. Maybe the ship ain’t so bad after all, or am I just getting use to mediocre? 

I feel your pain, some years ago we had a fabulous cruise on Divina and booked another, from Miami. Unfortunately, we didn't check that the USA had the same school holidays as the Uk. The first week was lovely. The second was hell. Butlins at sea was exactly my description. We were fortunate to be in YC and rarely left. Many places have a similar transformation during the holidays. We called at a restaurant for lunch last week (half term in our area last week) but decided against after entering. 

I hope with the few quiet spaces you've now discovered, you have a more enjoyable time. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Well, if you start to PAY for a wonderful Cappuccino you maybe really start to enjoy 😄 

You should really go to Jean Philippe, get a quiet booth at the window, order some nice coffee and watch the world go by whilst you read your book. The areas were you have to pay a little more are the areas where it is quietest.

I'd also recommend getting a crepe from crepes and gelato, as this is part of the Jean Philippe chain you are able to take your crepe to the seating area in the coffee bar.

During the morning when the shops are shut that whole area is quiet. Go to the Virtuosa bar (outside the theatre).

Have lunch in the speciality restaurants, a. it's cheaper b. It's quieter!

Finally and most importantly if you have only a couple of days left onboard you could ask for a room upgrade to a balcony if any are available, the cost would be significantly less than if you had asked at the beginning of your trip, you'd have that quiet space to read and relax, and most importantly you could order room service, sit at your little canvas table and have breakfast on your balcony.

Ps. Fish and chips from masters of the sea is money well spent!

Edited by 77red96
  • Like 1

Day 7 - another Port stop YAY! Las Palmas, Gran Canaria

So exited to be getting off the ship again. Breakfast this morning was a nightmare again. Now even the back back of the marketplace gets packed within minutes. There was an actual cue to get into that area this morning. This ship is not designed for the amount of people they are squeezing in to it. It’s is not normal to feel claustrophobic on a cruise ship, Eben a Butlins style one - no offence meant to the regulars of MSC… if you like the brand, good for you. Each to their own. 

9 hours ago, SonofTertius said:

Day 7 - another Port stop YAY! Las Palmas, Gran Canaria

So exited to be getting off the ship again. Breakfast this morning was a nightmare again. Now even the back back of the marketplace gets packed within minutes. There was an actual cue to get into that area this morning. This ship is not designed for the amount of people they are squeezing in to it. It’s is not normal to feel claustrophobic on a cruise ship, Eben a Butlins style one - no offence meant to the regulars of MSC… if you like the brand, good for you. Each to their own. 

Continue…

At the marketplace again tonight. Couldn’t be bothered with the MDR or Speciality restaurants. Had a nice day off the ship exploring Las Palmas. Just realised the only queues this deep into the cruise at the buffet are for chips, sticky toffee pudding, and boiling water (for tea of course) LOL Oh dear, why bother leaving your front rooms LOL. 

P&O are equally as inept in that respect. On Iona in June, kids were "swimming" in the jacuzzis, totally unopposed by staff. 

To give MSC their due, when we were on at the start of this month, there was always a lifeguard on duty by both the outdoor pools and the indoor tropical pool. And that was not the case with P&O. 

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing
  • Like 1