Which cruise - HAL Koningsdam, Celebrity Eclipse, Majestic Princess or Celebrity Millennium?

Sigyn

I'm trying to decide between four cruises for our first Alaskan cruise. Two are Vancouver roundtrips, the other two are Vancouver northbound one-ways. I checked airfare from our home to Alaska, and it's actually about the same whether we fly roundtrip to Vancouver ($741) or one way to Vancouver and then one way home from Anchorage ($607), so the one-way isn't a big deal. We will spend 2-3 days in Seattle before we depart (or after, if we return to Vancouver, perhaps) because we enjoy that city, too. So we might fly in or out of Seattle, but that isn't relevant to our cruise decision. We do not want to cruise out of Seattle and miss the Inside Passage. Those cruises don't appeal to us. Besides, Vancouver is only a scenic 4-hour train ride from Seattle, so easy enough to get to. 

Here are the four cruises. I'd very much like to get input from experienced cruisers to Alaska. I chose these itineraries based on the port time and the ports and my research. I have seen College Fjord before, 23 years ago, and I think my husband would like it, too.

Holland America

Koningsdam - 7-day

Roundtrip from Vancouver

Itinerary:

Vancouver departs 4:30 pm

Inside Passage, cruising

Tracy Arm Inlet, 9 am - 9:30 pm

Juneau, 1 pm - 10 pm

Skagway, 7 am - 8 pm

Glacier Bay, cruising 7 am - 4 pm

Ketchikan - 11 am - 7 pm

Inside passage - cruising

Vancouver - arrives 7 am

Celebrity 

Eclipse - 7-day

Roundtrip from Vancouver

Itinerary:

Vancouver depart 4:30 pm

Inside Passage cruising

Icy Strait Point, 1:30 - 10 pm

Hubbard Glacier, cruising

Juneau, 7:30 am - 8 pm

Ketchikan, 2 pm - 8:30 pm

Inside Passage cruising

Vancouver 6 am

Princess

Majestic Princess - 7-day

Vancouver to Whittier

Itinerary:

Vancouver depart 4:30 pm

Inside Passage, cruising

Ketchikan 6:30 to 3 pm

Juneau 8 am to 9 pm

Skagway 7 am to 8:30 pm

Glacier Bay National Park (Scenic Cruising) 6 am to 3 pm

College Fjord (Scenic Cruising) 6 pm to 8:30 pm

Anchorage (Whittier) 12:30 am

Celebrity

Millennium 7-day

Vancouver to Seward

Itinerary:

Vancouver, 5 pm

Inside Passage cruising

Ketchikan 7-3,

Icy Strait Point, 9 am - 7 pm

Juneau, 7 am -9:30 pm

Skagway, 7 am -4 pm

Hubbard Glacier cruising

Seward (arrive 5 am)

Edited by njsmom

2 hours ago, pickle11 said:

You may also want to look at NCL Jewel northbound.  Good port times and goes to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

Thanks for the suggestion. It does look like a great cruise. I had it ranked as 5th on my list, after the four I listed. It's just a day or so later in July than I really preferred because we're trying to do this while my son is at camp and he leaves on July 2. This cruise is July 10-17:

• Vancouver, 5 pm departure
  • Inside Passage
  • Ketchikan (Ward Cove) 7 am - 5 pm
  • Juneau,Alaska 11 am - 9 pm
  • Skagway,Alaska - 8 am - 8 pm
  • Glacier Bay cruising
  • Hubbard Glacier cruising
  • Seward,Alaska 5 am disembark
Edited by njsmom

17 hours ago, njsmom said:

I just realized the Princess won't do the real Inside Passage, it does the sea route. So scratch that one. 

Affirmative, the "Royal" Class ships do not transit Seymour Narrows, so they must exit via Juan de Fuca and sail up the West Coast of Vancouver Island, similar to the route used by Seattle ships.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, njsmom said:

Thanks for the suggestion. It does look like a great cruise. I had it ranked as 5th on my list, after the four I listed. It's just a day or so later in July than I really preferred because we're trying to do this while my son is at camp and he leaves on July 2. This cruise is July 10-17:

• Vancouver, 5 pm departure
  • Inside Passage
  • Ketchikan (Ward Cove) 7 am - 5 pm
  • Juneau,Alaska 11 am - 9 pm
  • Skagway,Alaska - 8 am - 8 pm
  • Glacier Bay cruising
  • Hubbard Glacier cruising
  • Seward,Alaska 5 am disembark

One thing to be aware of is that in Ketchikan Ward Cove is not right in town --- you have to take a bus from Ward Cove to get into downtown Ketchikan.  That is definitely not a plus in my book.  I have seen as well as heard a lot of grumbling from NCL passengers that have to use Ward Cove.  If considering NCL, I would definitely go to their board and ask around about your itinerary and get their comments. 

Edited by Italy52
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

One thing to be aware of is that in Ketchikan Ward Cove is not right in town --- you have to take a bus from Ward Cove to get into downtown Ketchikan.  That is definitely not a plus in my book.  I have seen as well as heard a lot of grumbling from NCL passengers that have to use Ward Cove.  If considering NCL, I would definitely go to their board and ask around about your itinerary and get their comments. 

I will take Hubbard and Glacier Bay with Ward Cove over any cruise that has only one glacier (unless Icy Strait is a port stop).  And now with a full season at Ward Cove I hope NCL will work out most of the kinks.  I think covid made it worse because of restrictions and finding people to work.   And Ketchikan is just another Alaskan cruise stop.  Nothing really special to do there that you can do at any another port Alaskan port.  Unless you go to the Aslyum bar eat next door at the Burger Queen.  Great food and cheapest draft beers in Alaska.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pickle11 said:

I will take Hubbard and Glacier Bay with Ward Cove over any cruise that has only one glacier (unless Icy Strait is a port stop).  And now with a full season at Ward Cove I hope NCL will work out most of the kinks.  I think covid made it worse because of restrictions and finding people to work.   And Ketchikan is just another Alaskan cruise stop.  Nothing really special to do there that you can do at any another port Alaskan port.  Unless you go to the Aslyum bar eat next door at the Burger Queen.  Great food and cheapest draft beers in Alaska.

My comment was intended to just inform the OP about Ward Cove.  What they do with the information is up to them.  Some people like Ketchikan and some don't.  The same holds true with other port stops.  Each cruiser has different needs and wants and it is up to them to decide what works best for them.  I have gone to Alaska 30 times and some of the places that people rave about are not places that I care to visit as I have different "favorites" for my trips.  Alaska has something for everyone and that's why all aspects should be considered.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

My comment was intended to just inform the OP about Ward Cove.  What they do with the information is up to them.  Some people like Ketchikan and some don't.  The same holds true with other port stops.  Each cruiser has different needs and wants and it is up to them to decide what works best for them.  I have gone to Alaska 30 times and some of the places that people rave about are not places that I care to visit as I have different "favorites" for my trips.  Alaska has something for everyone and that's why all aspects should be considered.

Where is a good place to learn specifics about each port? I've read about each one, but it seems that everyone glosses over the details. It's very hard to find out what's real about the ports, at least, enough to say, yes, I want to go to Skagway but not Ketchikan, or I must see Hubbard Glacier but I don't think Tracy Arm is worth the bother. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, njsmom said:

Where is a good place to learn specifics about each port? I've read about each one, but it seems that everyone glosses over the details. It's very hard to find out what's real about the ports, at least, enough to say, yes, I want to go to Skagway but not Ketchikan, or I must see Hubbard Glacier but I don't think Tracy Arm is worth the bother. 

A great place for info is here on CC.  Are you a shoot from the hip port walker or are you interested in particular tour activities.  Skagway is about a hour walk.  It is one street.  The main attraction is the train.  First time Alaska cruises are more about tours because the walking tourist areas are relatively small and all the same.  Jewelry shop, restaurant, t-shirt store, salmon and nice views.

46 minutes ago, njsmom said:

I have a book called "The Alaska Cruise Companion" by Rachel Cartwright that I like.  Rachel was the ship's Naturalists for Princess cruises from 1998-2006.  The book has lots of great information for someone who has never been to Alaska.  Lots of specifics about various places.

With regard to excursions, you might want to check out YouTube and see what other cruisers have experienced on their excursions.  Can be helpful if trying to narrow down activities.  We are big whale watching, bear watching and glacier fans so we have a tendency to gravitate towards itineraries that will give us opportunities to see what we want. 

If this will be your only trip to Alaska, make sure to research as much as you can, ask questions as needed and then decide what YOU want out of your trip.  Alaska is beautiful, enjoy the journey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njsmom said:

Where is a good place to learn specifics about each port?

Tom’s Port Guides is very detailed port guide although only mentions a few in Alaska.

https://www.tomsportguides.com/port-guides.html

Trip Advisor has info although isn’t cruise specific but has some good info from locals many times.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html\

Cruise Critic remains one of the best sites although it can get very subjective. Other than a great whale watch tour stop, Icy Strait Point is a waste of time in my opinion although many love it, as an example of subjective.

• Like 2

Agree with Glaciers, Cruise Critic is a very good site for information.  And, I also agree that the site can be very subjective. My likes might not be your likes when it comes to ports or excursions.  Ask yourself what do I want to see in Alaska and then see which itinerary closely match what you are looking for in your trip.  Don't be afraid to ask questions of this board, there are plenty of people who are willing to share their experiences.

12 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Tom’s Port Guides is very detailed port guide although only mentions a few in Alaska.

https://www.tomsportguides.com/port-guides.html

Trip Advisor has info although isn’t cruise specific but has some good info from locals many times.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html\

Cruise Critic remains one of the best sites although it can get very subjective. Other than a great whale watch tour stop, Icy Strait Point is a waste of time in my opinion although many love it, as an example of subjective.

Thanks for the information on Tom's Port Guides.

• Like 1

This past summer, I was on the Koningsdam RT from Vancouver, the Royal Northbound to Whittier and the NCL Jewel Southbound ( and two other cruise itineraries that aren’t on your list).

Our favorite was the Koningsdam —love the ship, the Alaskan enrichment programs and the food.  There were Alaska specialties in the MDR and bars, a naturalist who was onboard throughout the cruise and as well as an indigenous woman gave some very good talks.  And, getting a cup of pea soup on glacier viewing days is fun!  We’ve cruised enough to Alaska that we’ve been on most excursions/trips so we tend to enjoy the cruise aspect of a trip (still go DIY or rebook with independent vendors).

Our least favorite was the NCL Jewel.  Loved cruising from Seward (did a DIY land tour prior to boarding) and glacier visits but that was about all.  The food was the worst we’ve ever experienced on a ship—we had even purchased specialty dining packages.  Le Bistro was so bad we sent food back and went to the buffet.  I have dietary issues and numerous times was served unsafe food.  No premium coffees included in drink package (Starbucks/Atrium Cafe was pay) and NO emphasis on Alaska in food offerings, enrichment programs or in decor.  We’re Platinum on NCL but we’re done with them now. 

And, Ward Cove, for us, was the deal breaker!  Very inconvenient and a waste of time in visiting Ketchikan.  Yes, going to the Asylum is fun and you can’t beat the burgers,  but to get there and back is a nightmare.  NCL has buses at WC but they won’t send them to town until they are full!  Lots of dead time.   We went to Asylum on our other cruises who docked in town.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2022 at 11:56 PM, njsmom said:

I just realized the Princess won't do the real Inside Passage, it does the sea route. So scratch that one. 

What do you mean the "real inside passage"? As opposed to the "sea route"?

14 minutes ago, kayehall said:

What do you mean the "real inside passage"? As opposed to the "sea route"?

The "real Inside Passage" is east of Vancouver Island, meaning sailing out of Vancouver. Sailing out of Seattle almost always means sailing in the open ocean, with no real scenery, west of Vancouver Island.

Certain Princess ships are under powered in relationship to their steering abilities, thus they can't sail in the true Inside Passage.

For me I'd go with a Glacier Bay sailing but never NCL. We all have our priorities and for me the ship experience is just as important as the itinerary.

Personal Choice. 

Ketchikan is a great port for Bear Tours & Misty Fjord, both amazing and to me pretty special! So this clearly shows what one loves, another doesn't. I've been to Alaskan many times and am returning July 2023 because I just can't get enough. Every trip has been completely different, for me thats what makes Alaska magical! Enjoy what ever you choose. 

Patty

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cw2go said:

For me I'd go with a Glacier Bay sailing but never NCL. We all have our priorities and for me the ship experience is just as important as the itinerary.

Personal Choice. 

Ketchikan is a great port for Bear Tours & Misty Fjord, both amazing and to me pretty special! So this clearly shows what one loves, another doesn't. I've been to Alaskan many times and am returning July 2023 because I just can't get enough. Every trip has been completely different, for me thats what makes Alaska magical! Enjoy what ever you choose. 

Patty

What's your favorite ship for Alaska?

On 10/25/2022 at 10:21 AM, disneyochem said:

And, Ward Cove, for us, was the deal breaker!  Very inconvenient and a waste of time in visiting Ketchikan.  Yes, going to the Asylum is fun and you can’t beat the burgers,  but to get there and back is a nightmare.  NCL has buses at WC but they won’t send them to town until they are full!  Lots of dead time.   We went to Asylum on our other cruises who docked in town.

I saw that Ward Cove was 7 miles from town. What a pain!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, njsmom said:

What's your favorite ship for Alaska?

IMO Princess north or southbound one-way sailing will give you the biggest bang for you buck. Princess and Cel are very similar as a far as atmosphere and ship vibe. When planning for Alaska I aways pick the best itinerary for what I want to see/do. Ex. Bear Tours have  prime viewing seasons/locations. I know it's hard to wrap your head around it all but to be honest, once you lock down your sailing it will all come together. As a side note~ You will never get it all in one sailing so try to pick a few of your must haves and begin there. 

Happy to help if you have any other questions, 

Patty

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2022 at 8:23 PM, njsmom said:

One easy way is to look on the cruise lines excursion list for each port to see what grabs you. You can make a list with port vs tours/activities you'd like. Not saying you have to book through them, sometimes I do and sometimes not but you'll get a direction for each port stop and can research/plan from there. 

Patty

• Like 1

12 hours ago, njsmom said:

I saw that Ward Cove was 7 miles from town. What a pain!

Yes it was!  Ward Cove doesn’t have a lot of transportation options—can’t walk anywhere (not even to the bus stop), some independent tour vendors won’t pickup there, a scarcity of Uber/Lyft drivers in Ketchikan, and a long (and expensive) wait for a taxi!  We found it worse than having to tender to a port.  Especially compared to how easy it is to visit Ketchikan on a ship that docks in town.

• Like 1