Tipping

dchusker

A service charge will be added to your bill daily; the amount varies depending on whether you are in a suite or a non-suite cabin. This supposedly covers tips for your room steward, your waitstaff, and the behind the scenes staff. Your bartenders will be tipped from the tips you pay up front when you have the beverage package (same with specialty dining waiters from the dining package). If you are in a suite, you will have a concierge and a butler to tip separately, as they are not a part of the daily service charge.

• Like 3

A daily service charge is added to your account daily.   Believe it’s $15-16 pp per day ,depends on when you booked and where your cabin is located.   20% is added to drink package when you purchase.   Technically you do not need to tip anything else (no more envelopes with cash needed) though I usually give a little extra to my room steward and bartenders

@KateQ22003 summed it up nicely. This thread is sure to take a turn into "do you tip extra". My answer... we typically tip our room steward extra on the last day because on just about every cruise we feel they go above and beyond to make our trip better. We don't always tip bartenders extra, but if we  enjoy a particular bar we make it a point to tip the servers and the bartenders each time we go. We like to stay in the Haven which does include tipping the concierge and butler separate from the daily service charge. Enjoy your cruise!!

Denise

@dchusker Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The old days of handing out envelopes at the end of the cruise is long gone.  Your onboard account will be charged a "Daily Service Charge" which covers what used to be put in the envelopes.  

Your bartenders will be tipped either via the 20% gratuity you paid when you booked the cruise for your "Free At Sea" drinks or, if you didn't get the Free At Sea then 20% will be added to every drink order. 

Specialty Dining restaurants will have 20% added when you booked the cruise if you got Free At Sea or 20% will be added to any meals you purchase beyond that.

If you are in Haven, let us know, others can fill you in on those special needs (they don't let me out of Steerage, so don't know about Haven).

Lastly, if you want you can give anyone onboard something extra for extra service.  But it's not required and certainly isn't expected like the old days.

4 hours ago, dchusker said:

Not a brand new cruiser but the first and last time I cruised was 37 years ago.  Going out on the NCL Jade in early November.  My question is how is tipping handled on this Ship ?

I would like to thank you all for responding, it was very helpful.

David 

• Like 2

At the dawn of time (aka "back in the day"), I seem to remember NCL advertising free style as no tipping required/expected.  That's why we pay the daily service charges and gratuities on FAS packages.  I embrace that.  That said, if I find a bar employee or musician particularly good, I tip extra.  I'm talking about folks that I become short term "friends" with, not the random person.

• Like 3

@uneamie

In Australia and New Zealand the DSC is built into the fare when we pay through the Sydney NCL office and so we never get a DSC charge on our folio.   I think you will have to hope that "Your Travel Site" has a similar arrangement.

=======================================

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dchusker said:

I would like to thank you all for responding, it was very helpful.

Welcome, David,

As described, your daily service charge covers a lot of the people you interact with. Other tipping is totally optional and at your discretion. No additional tip is "necessary". Personally, we tip bar waiters ($1 or $2), bartenders if we get drinks at the bar ($1 or $2), our room steward who is included in the DSC ($10-$20/day). 

If you go to the Spa for a treatment, tip is automatically added to your bill automatically. If you go to a for-fee restaurant and pay via room charge, a tip is automatically added to your bill automatically. If you pay for drinks costs over $15 covered by the beverage package a tip is added to your bill automatically. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, uneamie said:

Our Travel site included the tips in our cruise bonus perks. How will that be paid if they add it all daily. I thought it was added to your cruise fare and you paid it all in your final payment. 

What your travel site likely included was pre-paying your Daily Service Charge (DSC).  They may market it as "pre-paid gratuities".  My experience when the DSC has been pre-paid is that it does not even appear on your onboard account/bill.    Be sure to check your bill to be sure it isn't there.

I did once have a problem with the pre-paid DSC.  Despite supposedly being pre-paid, it was being added to my account each day.  Fortunately, I had all my paperwork from both my TA and NCL and was able to show it to Customer Service onboard and the problem was immediately resolved.   

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 8:46 AM, dchusker said:

Not a brand new cruiser but the first and last time I cruised was 37 years ago.  Going out on the NCL Jade in early November.  My question is how is tipping handled on this Ship ?

Certain tips are paid up front and split among the crew who comprise that specific pool.  In a limited number of situations, tipping is warranted (i.e. if you got free meals due to Platinum status, Haven Butlers, spa personnel, etc.)  Otherwise, it's appreciated but not expected if you wanted to tip a few bucks above and beyond.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 8:46 AM, dchusker said:

Tipping is 100% optional.  You tip whoever you want to, whenever you want to, however much you want to.  Simply hand them the tip or add it to the receipt/bill just like on land.  BTW there is no customary, suggest. usual, standard amount/tip to tip.