Arvia maiden cancelled

molecrochip

22 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Also  gutted. Lost out on Iona maiden for same reason. 23rd Dec cruise fully booked so cannot swap. Fuming. 

If you're using an agent thats worth asking them to keep an eye on. I believe that was taken off sale yesterday along with the maiden. It may be that once P&O move those officials and entertainers that now need to sail on the Christmas cruise instead of the maiden, the cruise will open up again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mad4WDW said:

What's the reason for the cancellation? 

Who knows?  'We are so sorry but for reasons beyond our control, we have regrettably taken the decision to cancel Arvia’s first cruise which was scheduled to depart Southampton on 9 December 2022. ...' 

5 minutes ago, Mad4WDW said:

What's the reason for the cancellation? 

I don't have an official reason. P&O have publicly said they won't compromise on the high standards of build.

I did say that there were two dates for the Ems transfer, once this month, one next month. I do understand that there is a structure over the Ems which is moved for each transfer, which has been having repair work. The trial of this repaired structure is now only this week which may have forced the later transfer date. This would fit in with just cancelling one cruise.

6 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

If you're using an agent thats worth asking them to keep an eye on. I believe that was taken off sale yesterday along with the maiden. It may be that once P&O move those officials and entertainers that now need to sail on the Christmas cruise instead of the maiden, the cruise will open up again.

Will do but am increasingly disillusioned with P&O. It's like when the Iona maiden suddenly got downgraded to the first cruise but those booked on one months later got all the naming celebrations. 

• Like 2

Just now, Host Sharon said:

Will do but am increasingly disillusioned with P&O. It's like when the Iona maiden suddenly got downgraded to the first cruise but those booked on one months later got all the naming celebrations. 

Yes, Iona was odd. There was no social or marketing build-up about the build of Iona. Iona Fest was because Iona was running very tight to time for her first cruise. Then Covid hit and the cancellations happened anyway.

You'll note that there is no formal confirmation of Arvia naming ceremony or godmother yet.

• Like 1

What a real shame for those who booked. There were many whispers of this yesterday online, but the hope was they were just whispers. 

Hoping those who booked don’t get the usual P&O craptitude of generic insincerities. 

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 3

We have just had the phone call from the TA to cancel this cruise. Sadly the new 'Maiden Cruise' is now the Christmas cruise, which is fully booked right now. We couldn't go anyway as it overruns our RWC on Arcadia.

So this is now our 4th maiden cruise that has been cancelled. Not sure we will be booking any more 'Maidens'. 

2 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

As a sop, P&O are offering the chance (a lottery) for a ship tour and VIP lunch on board on 20th. I can't see that being practical if you live any distance away.

You're being offered the chance to see what you're missing?!  Fabulous...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Pippa04 said:

You're being offered the chance to see what you're missing?!  Fabulous...

And if you don't win the lottery then you are let down twice. P&O know how to rub salt into a wound.

Edited by MX-Drew
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

And if you don't win the lottery then you are let down twice. P&O know how to rub salt into a wound.

Oh they do don’t they.

They really have no idea. Do they honestly think this sort of thing will soften the blow or even prevent folk from going elsewhere for their cruises?

“Oo Doris, our cruise has definitely been scrapped but I’m chuffed to let you know, dear, that there’s a remote chance we could get some lukewarm sparkling wine passed off as champagne and a few mini cheddars while someone yawns their way through photos of what the ship looks like inside. Who needed that cruise anyway?”

Edited by Camberley
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I don't have an official reason. P&O have publicly said they won't compromise on the high standards of build.

I did say that there were two dates for the Ems transfer, once this month, one next month. I do understand that there is a structure over the Ems which is moved for each transfer, which has been having repair work. The trial of this repaired structure is now only this week which may have forced the later transfer date. This would fit in with just cancelling one cruise.

Whilst that is a totally plausible to a point, this type of work in know about months or even years in advance, this could be an unusual case granted but I wonder if it is more to do with the damage done in the fires and maybe the subsequent repairs have taken a little longer than expected.

Just a thought. 

1 minute ago, Camberley said:

Oh they do don’t they.

They really have no idea. Do they honestly think this sort of thing will soften the or prevent folk fromfrom going elsewhere for their cruises?

It will more likely drive them to go elsewhere. I have already started going to other cruise lines for my core cruising and only now use P&O if the price and itinerary is right (not very often). 

• Like 1

Re lunch - not really viable from Birmingham. Plus of course only 10%fcc.  Will that be on original price or newly discounted price.  Slap in the face - not that easy to rearrange work schedules.  P&O not covering themselves in glory.

Of course others may have pre booked expenses.  Yes there is insurance but most policies have an excess.  At least I booked a hotel with option to cancel.

• Like 2