Arvia maiden cancelled

molecrochip

12 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Royal Caribbean offer that, albeit bundled in with an internet package and some other perks (called The Key).

Princess allow you to choose your boarding time through their Medallion app.  I really can't see any reason why P&O can't do the same

We usually spend the night before the cruise in Southampton so always book the earliest boarding time when we go with Princess because once we have had breakfast there's not really anything to do until we board.

• Like 8

On 10/25/2022 at 4:14 PM, wowzz said:

I suppose a more generous compensation package would have softened the blow a little.

They could offer 100% cash refund or 125% refund if taken as a later cruise booked within a month. Plus a cabin upgrade to next type in a cabin people could choose not a random guarantee.

Regards John

5 minutes ago, john watson said:

They could offer 100% cash refund or 125% refund if taken as a later cruise booked within a month. Plus a cabin upgrade to next type in a cabin people could choose not a random guarantee.

Regards John

They could do a lot of things such as refunding non refundable out of pocket expenses or offering a reasonable price on a replacement cruise but sadly they do not wish to so won't.  It's not helped by Arvia scuttling off to the Caribbean until April either because presumably if you booked a maiden you chose that ship just for that reason.  Anyone not wanting a fly cruise and sailing later from Southampton is left with a heavily booked vessel due to it's newness at what are currently inflated prices.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

They could do a lot of things such as refunding non refundable out of pocket expenses or offering a reasonable price on a replacement cruise but sadly they do not wish to so won't.  

Non refundable out of pocket expenses are sometimes recoverable through one's travel insurance company under the failure of transport clause.

Regards John

1 minute ago, john watson said:

Non refundable out of pocket expenses are sometimes recoverable through one's travel insurance company under the failure of transport clause.

Regards John

With most likely a heavy excess unfortunately.  

Edited by Megabear2

2 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Royal Caribbean offer that, albeit bundled in with an internet package and some other perks (called The Key).

Don't Carnival also offer a "Faster to the Fun" deal ?

Mind you, can't see many of  us here cruising with Carnival ! 

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Don't tempt them!

Want to avoid the middle seat on the Tender...?

How about an exclusive service to avoid check in online...?

Care to pre-book your "Freedom Dining" time...?

Can we tempt you with adding access to the new "Loyalty Lift" to avoid the queues?

Take control of your holiday with P&O Cruises...😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, happy v said:

Are you sure agent is telling the truth. As this doesn't fit with usual P&O policy 

Well the figure for FCC she gave me was based on the newly discounted price.  There again offereing refunds to fully paid cruisers is also not usual P&O policy.

Have to say I'm thinking a bit of sharp practice.

7 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Want to avoid the middle seat on the Tender...?

How about an exclusive service to avoid check in online...?

Care to pre-book your "Freedom Dining" time...?

Can we tempt you with adding access to the new "Loyalty Lift" to avoid the queues?

Take control of your holiday with P&O Cruises...😂

Want to board with your travelling companion(s)?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We too are disappointed having wanted to experience Arvia before she based herself in the Caribbean (done that to death) but there, these things happen and its hardly P&O's fault.

As if they haven't had multiple problems t cope with over the previous two years, let's hope there is a watertight compensation clause that compensates them from the builders, Meyer-Werft. 

Fortunately we still have fond memories of Britannia's maiden and another maiden on the horizon.

9 hours ago, john watson said:

Regards John

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

With most likely a heavy excess unfortunately.  

Most travel Insurances that I have taken out offer a choice of excess in order to limit the premium size.

Caveat Emptor.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Most travel Insurances that I have taken out offer a choice of excess in order to limit the premium size.

Caveat Emptor.

But still an excess applies. In my opinion P&O at the very least should pay the excess amount.

A company shouldn’t run so they always win. At the end of the day P&O haven’t factored in the possibility of a delay on build, instead they risked being able to cruise almost the first day theoretically possible and now they can’t they (P&O) should pay the price and not the customers who put there faith in them.

Don’t worry P&O won’t be out of pocket after this as there will be insurance and penalties from the ship yard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MX-Drew said:

But still an excess applies. In my opinion P&O at the very least should pay the excess amount.

A company shouldn’t run so they always win. At the end of the day P&O haven’t factored in the possibility of a delay on build, instead they risked being able to cruise almost the first day theoretically possible and now they can’t they (P&O) should pay the price and not the customers who put there faith in them.

Don’t worry P&O won’t be out of pocket after this as there will be insurance and penalties from the ship yard.

Hang on a bit. Let's step back and take a pragmatic view. 

Firstly, as I pointed out, as far as we know this wasn't of P&O's making and they already have, though I've not received official notice yet, a financial adjustment.

As with all cruise lines, whatever arrangements a customer makes, outside of their cruise agreement with the respective company, are the individuals responsibility - we've all been round long enough to accept that. (Caveat Emptor)

As such, anyone who should be 'out of pocket' should console themselves that the FCC attached to the cancellation duly covers those said expenses or, put another way, those who are not 'out of pocket' have received a slightly higher share of the FCC pot.

Have a nice day, ranting against P&O won't make it any better, 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

It is possible to get a nil excess policy obviously more expensive though.  In terms of offering compensation P&O should be able to refund money using the fines imposed for late delivery from  the constructor.

Regards John

4 minutes ago, john watson said:

It is possible to get a nil excess policy obviously more expensive though.  In terms of offering compensation P&O should be able to refund money using the fines imposed for late delivery from  the constructor.

Regards John

A refund of any money paid is just that, the money you paid, or you referring to refund of excess? If so I agree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MX-Drew said:

A refund of any money paid is just that, the money you paid, or you referring to refund of excess? If so I agree.

The fines I mentioned are often levied in the contract between a supplying contractor and an organisation which has ordered something.  It normally compensates the organisation against claims which it might face because of late delivery.  This type of fund is then used to refund people who are out of pocket resulting from late delivery.

Regards John

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, john watson said:

The fines I mentioned are often levied in the contract between a supplying contractor and an organisation which has ordered something.  It normally compensates the organisation against claims which it might face because of late delivery.  This type of fund is then used to refund people who are out of pocket resulting from late delivery.

Regards John

Which is exactly what P&O are not doing, they are not paying for out of pocket expenses or insurance excess. Yes they are giving 10% of the new discounted price (is that why they discounted the price I wonder?) but who gains from this at the end of the day? Oh yes P&O get another booking and more money.

Seems to me the customer is in a lose lose position and the company is in a win win position.

For the record I run a small retail business and if I handled things this way I would lose my repeat customers over night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

As such, anyone who should be 'out of pocket' should console themselves that the FCC attached to the cancellation duly covers those said expenses or, put another way, those who are not 'out of pocket' have received a slightly higher share of the FCC pot.

But, at the very least,  P&O should give 10% FCC based on the actual fare paid, not 10% on an artificially low fare, introduced when P&O knew the cruise would not go ahead.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Hang on a bit. Let's step back and take a pragmatic view. 

Firstly, as I pointed out, as far as we know this wasn't of P&O's making and they already have, though I've not received official notice yet, a financial adjustment.

As with all cruise lines, whatever arrangements a customer makes, outside of their cruise agreement with the respective company, are the individuals responsibility - we've all been round long enough to accept that. (Caveat Emptor)

It doesn’t much matter whether the cancellations were of P&O’s making.  They entered into the contracts for the sale of cruises, and they’re responsible for the fulfilment of those contracts, subject of course to the terms and conditions, which are themselves subject to scrutiny under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

P&O will certainly be reclaiming everything available to them to claim from those they contracted with, and passengers are entitled to do the same.

• Like 2

Offering 100% refund is what they are legally obliged to do. No way out of that. Also anything booked via them. Any quibble use section 75 on credit card

As for other expenses not booked via P&O , presumably section 75 doesn't apply as theoretically still available . P&O has a moral resposibility. I think a headline 1000s of holiday makers left out of pocket as P&O cancels maiden cruise might stir things up. 

Edited by Windsurfboy

47 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But, at the very least,  P&O should give 10% FCC based on the actual fare paid, not 10% on an artificially low fare, introduced when P&O knew the cruise would not go ahead.  

The customer could be given an option.  If there is a suitable cruise they wish to take (as opposed to feeling compelled to) then FCC is fine.  If on the other hand there is no suitable P&O cruise (for instance they are locked in to that time by their employment and are losing annual leave) they could be offered their 10% in a cash payment based on proof of this. Yes, it would require a bit of thought by P&O but would make them seem human.  If you want to keep loyal customers such as Host Sharon you should at least show empathy to their plight and not just treat them as a cash cow.  This is a small community but already we see Sharon stating she'll go elsewhere and MX saying no more P&O, it only needs a few hundred more of the 5,000 odd passengers to take this stance and they have trouble brewing and all for a few hundred quid each.

Solent Richard is very gung ho about insurance policies and caveat emptor however he misses the point that not only is their financial loss but also human.  However I expect very little else as he and P&O always sadly appear to have a "I'm always right" attitude.

• Like 6