Do accessible rooms have bed grab bars?

atexsix

It's a long shot at this point, but we're considering a cruise to Hawaii next fall and assuming there's accessible rooms available, do any cruise lines have bars on the beds?  If not or if we have to use a regular stateroom, can we bring such an attachment?  

This is necessary because our last cruise was a disaster when it came to the beds, all my Dad did was slide around on them, it was very difficult to keep him positioned during the night, then the bedsores started (which is always an ongoing problem).  

TIA

You can rent a hospital bed if an accessible cabin is booked. Check with the cruise line's special needs department to see which vendors they work with. This way, you not only get the rails, but also the ability position to raise the head of the bed (or foot) for greater comfort. We have done this multiple times when cruising with our mom. We usually have one of the ship's twin beds removed but on a couple of occasions the room has been large enough that we kept both twin beds.    You can bring your own eggcrate foam topper but we usually take the alternating pressure air pad and pump (definitely make the special needs department aware for the latter as sometimes they want one of their electricians to confirm voltage and safety.)

If a hospital bed is not doable, Scootaround and Special Needs at Sea rent recliners that can be delivered. You'd have to be in an accessible cabin. A friend of mine has issues that preclude her from sleeping comfortably in a bed, but she does well with a recliner. Personally, I sleep in my recliner from time to time and rest well in it.

atexsix please report back if you called your cruise line's Access Department and if they will provide bed rails for your cruise.   

PS  If you are sailing from the right port, scootaround rents bed rails and will deliver them to your stateroom.  If your departure port is not listed in this link, I'd contact them to double-check.

https://scootaround.com/en/cruise-medical-equipment-rentals

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 2:50 PM, GUT2407 said:

Always best to name the ship when asking questions like this.

I don't yet know the name of the ship, it's a general question from someone that's never used or had reason to use an accessible room.  If these were widely available, it should be known here.  If it helps, we only sail Holland America and Princess.

On 10/29/2022 at 10:59 AM, kokopelli-az said:

atexsix please report back if you called your cruise line's Access Department and if they will provide bed rails for your cruise.   

PS  If you are sailing from the right port, scootaround rents bed rails and will deliver them to your stateroom.  If your departure port is not listed in this link, I'd contact them to double-check.

https://scootaround.com/en/cruise-medical-equipment-rentals

Reporting back I have not yet called Princess.  However this may be a moot point by now since we've made up our minds on bringing the portable Hoyer lift.  If we did bring bed rails, it'd be more to prevent a fall out of bed, than a practical use.  And actually the rubber mats we use for repositioning at home can be packed and used for the same purpose.

I'm toying with the idea of having both beds pushed together, normally we do twins, but I couldn't believe how small they were when we sailed on Princess for the first time last spring, it reminded me of a kid's bed.  I'm considering booking a suite in the hope the beds are larger.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bruno! Miss hearing from you on the Daily. Xx

As you know, my sweet husband is in a wheelchair. We use the bed rail listed below.  40 bucks. Keeps my prince safe from rolling off the bed yet helps him lift himself off the bed and he can swing his legs over.

Our HAL ships also provide bedside commode if needed, no charge. Contact ship services. Let me know if you need the email link.

Able Life Bedside Mighty Rail, Padded Rail with Organizer Pouch for Seniors, Travel-Friendly Design Fits Most King, Queen, Full, and Twin Beds

Take care. Love to Dad.

• Like 1