liquor disappeared from food and beverages orders for upcoming cruise

seagoer1973

17 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

I would not be suprised to see Cheers be reduced as well, maybe to 12 drinks per day. No one on this forum, including me really knows the full reasons. We all speculate. 

I wouldn't be surprised in the least. Drop the price a little and the number of drinks as well. Sales should go up more than a little.

• Like 1

So many people are assuming a majority of people will try and smuggle things onboard like they do.  While it's a nice try at justification (everyone is doing it), it simply is not true.  Most people will follow the rules and keep cruising.  I wish people would quit trying to excuse bad behavior and either stop it or own it.  By the way, they already have the right to enter your room at any time they feel it is necessary, it just has not been exercised much and room stewards have not reported violations they see.  this might change, so enjoy your vacation while you smuggle and hide all the things you are not supposed to have.

• Like 1

I do find it interesting that this done without notice.  To me it makes me think it was a liability issue dealing underage drinking and possibly overselling.  I don't believe that it will make a significant difference in revenue, but it will make a significant change in liability.  It will be much more difficult to make them liable for something someone smuggled on the ship.  But whatever the reason, if it doesn't accomplish whatever they actually want, they can change it back just as quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Your response is conflating two separate issues, my response was to Blerk's specific comment, not the actual subject of this thread. It is indeed arrogant. Smuggling and how much one should/could drink are byproducts of the discussion and merit their own points. You've commingled several points and juxtaposed a position.

That said, yes, rules should be followed but should also be examined for efficacy and results, both intended and unintended. I also doubt cheers will be cut down, it wouldn't make much sense, fiscally or otherwise. 

i agree to disagree but your opinion is as valid as mine.

Edited by SwordBlazer Cruising
No reason

6 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I do find it interesting that this done without notice.  To me it makes me think it was a liability issue dealing underage drinking and possibly overselling.  I don't believe that it will make a significant difference in revenue, but it will make a significant change in liability.  It will be much more difficult to make them liable for something someone smuggled on the ship.  But whatever the reason, if it doesn't accomplish whatever they actually want, they can change it back just as quickly.

Very good point. Net of it all, if people don't like it they wont sail. If they don't care, like me, I will continue to sail. 

40 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

So many people are assuming a majority of people will try and smuggle things onboard like they do.  While it's a nice try at justification (everyone is doing it), it simply is not true.  Most people will follow the rules and keep cruising.  I wish people would quit trying to excuse bad behavior and either stop it or own it.  By the way, they already have the right to enter your room at any time they feel it is necessary, it just has not been exercised much and room stewards have not reported violations they see.  this might change, so enjoy your vacation while you smuggle and hide all the things you are not supposed to have.

I think the reason this is tossed around alot is there are hundreds if not thousands of YouTube videos on how to do this - smuggling alcohol onboard, all cruise lines. 

6 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

I think the reason this is tossed around alot is there are hundreds if not thousands of YouTube videos on how to do this - smuggling alcohol onboard, all cruise lines. 

and Carnival has probably watched them all

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

and Carnival has probably watched them all

I think the real question is whether or not Carnival is going to actually make the effort to enforce these rules and get a handle on their deteriorating reputation.

14 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I think the real question is whether or not Carnival is going to actually make the effort to enforce these rules and get a handle on their deteriorating reputation.

Uh, I think eliminating bottle sales is already a start.

35 minutes ago, icft said:

What is with all the talk about Carnival doing this to cut down on bad behavior? 

Did Carnival say that, or is it just folks making up the best excuse for Carnival they can think of?

JH has simply said "You understand why"...

5 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Celebrity has an option that includes the equivalent of cheers and bottles in the cabin. I actually seen it because I priced out a comparative suite rate and benefits. It's a pretty suite deal. 😄 

Holland America lets you pre-order full size liquor bottles to your room too. Not sure if there is a limit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Bingo! 

Correct. Where is the statement from Carnival on this change? I got a bottle on 25 cruise so far to have a drink on the balcony and in my room and I pose no behavior problem. This is going to take me and my wife to another line soon.

• Like 3

Has anyone thought is a means to fix the sale problems?  They have been giving away cruises so cheap that they are getting cheaper clientele?  Thus the problems with fightning and such.  By doing this they might price out these customers who can not afford the drink packages or prices per drink?  Not to say these same customers might not just do Rum runners but carnvial is probably hoping to make it too costly for them to overendulge or make them reconsider sailing?  It is actually alot like the water bottles not being allowed to be brought onboard anymore.  Everyone paying for a few bad eggs.

Just now, Thenagers said:

Has anyone thought is a means to fix the sale problems?  They have been giving away cruises so cheap that they are getting cheaper clientele?  Thus the problems with fightning and such.  By doing this they might price out these customers who can not afford the drink packages or prices per drink?  Not to say these same customers might not just do Rum runners but carnvial is probably hoping to make it too costly for them to overendulge or make them reconsider sailing?  It is actually alot like the water bottles not being allowed to be brought onboard anymore.  Everyone paying for a few bad eggs.

The cheap cruisers are mostly gamblers getting free drinks anyway.

Although I have never pre-ordered liquor bottles for my room, I do enjoy the occasional (o.k., maybe more than occasional. Lol.) adult beverage on vacation. Since covid, I have been delighted to use the "RU2" code to add Cheers! at a substantial discount from the "rack rate". I have never paid full price for a drink package on any line, since for the amount we consume, it just doesn't make financial sense. Unfortunately, Carnival has eliminated this option as well. I do understand how many repeat cruisers would enjoy the option to be able to enjoy the convenience of a cocktail in their room while enjoying the sea out on their balcony. I'm just not seeing this type of cruiser as being a problem onboard. To me this is just another example of diminishing the experience of the higher level VIFP members. This disappoints me, as we have just reached Platinum status on our last voyage.

We are cruising on Spirit next month but after that we are booked on 3 cruises (so far) in 2023 and none of them are with Carnival. NCL offers a similar, but better experience to Carnival with drinks, wifi and specialty dining included with a slightly higher price tag. 

You get what you pay for in this world, and at this point in my life the lower price tag on Carnival is starting to not be worth it for us.

Edited by Island Dog
OCD
  • Like 5

If this change is truly due to curb down on drunken incidents on the ships, I have a suggestion:

Make the ability to order bottles a perk you are only entitled to if you are Gold or above.

My guess is that the vast majority of "incidents" happen with Blue and Red Cardholders.  If you have had 25 days of cruising under your belt and haven't been disciplined yet, you can probably be trusted with liquor in your room.

• Like 7