Observations from the latest crossing

Cruise NH

25 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Have to admit I am this last time a Cunarder Thief.......I took several packages of the Hot Chocolate home.

I like it very much I wanted to enjoy it at home and have a package to refer to. I found it on AMAZON and ordered it. Now I can enjoy QM2 Hot Chocolate from now on. It is really good. Belgium Chocolate is really tasty.

At least I admit to it for a good reason. Memories last..lol.....

This is not a problem.  It falls into the domain of theft, when handfuls of various refreshment packets, together with a carrier bag being utilised on a daily basis.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

Blame it on my grandmother, I was going to say kettle,  but remembered she called it a hob and wrote that.  She was from Leeds, maybe it was a brand name?  I know she used to call vacuum cleaners hoovers for some reason.

and I've always wondered why you named a dam after the humble vacuum cleaner.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

A nice diversion about a hob , presume you put an old non electric kettle on a hob to boil, hence name.

a prize to anyone who can segway from this into a dress code discussion, as normally  happens

Don't get me started on the hobnail boots in the dining room...

😉

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

We were on QM2 for two days just before you, Southampton to Hamburg.  Objectively there were some flaws, most notably internet that was unavailable almost all of the time because of server upgrades.  But such a joy to be on board.  

• Like 2

The internet is a lot better now than it used to be before the pandemic!

How Americans manage without an electric kettle, I do not know!  Fortunately Cunard supplies one in every room.

A lecture by Stephen Payne would have been a real treat.

On 10/26/2022 at 12:02 PM, Cruise NH said:

Insight lectures were not great.  We were so disappointed we love that aspect of Cunard and always find something interesting.  Among other things, there were two lectures, by two different people on Princess Diana's death...IMOP one would have been to many

I am sorry I missed those lectures. Did the lecturers postulate that mi5 killed her as in shown the mi5/spooks tv series season 4 finale very convincingly I might add as well? I thought as an American you would love the royal family stuff

Edited by ace2542

On 10/26/2022 at 7:02 AM, Cruise NH said:

First, let me say that I saw someone else has also talked about this crossing.  I think their comments were great, I just wanted to add a few things.

We are diamond members and have done over 10 crossings.  Last time on the QM2 was the 2020 World Cruise.  We were in a sheltered balcony cabin.

Embarkation - was very smooth, as diamond members we flew through the process.  We were never asked if we took covid tests (we did and they were negative) they just asked if we had any changes to our previously submitted health assessment.

On Board -

No diamond welcome party by the Captain, or any other party of that type. Typically we're not big party people but we really missed this aspect of the crossing.  We never did see the Captain or any of the senior officers.  Felt off from a crossing veteran perspective.

There were no classes offered in the Connections area (previously would have excel, photoshop type stuff).

Games are not left out by the tables on deck 2.  You have to go to the library and 'check them out' and only for two days at a time.  Of course you can do that numerous times during the trip.  Jigsaw puzzles were set out however, go figure.

Insight lectures were not great.  We were so disappointed we love that aspect of Cunard and always find something interesting.  Among other things, there were two lectures, by two different people on Princess Diana's death...IMOP one would have been to many. 

Mask wearing by the crew appeared to be optional.  We were okay with that.

The internet was spotty.  It used to be diamond members got 8 free hours of internet, worth $135.  The $135 is the same but there is now a premium plan offered for the whole voyage for $140.  So if you're diamond, and you choose that plan, you're paying $5.  

The food was good but somehow the choices weren't at time.  A few times we chose not to eat in the main dining room because there simply wasn't anything on the menu we really liked.  On one night I ordered the always optional chicken breast with baked potato and veggies.

Disembarkation

We self disembarked and were walking off the ship at 6:33 AM.  Could not have been easier but it did cause a problem with our Luggage Forward pick up.  The great on shore staff from Cunard helped us with that problem.  So glad we decided to take the train to Boston rather then fly, the fog cancelled a lot of flights.  We used Dial7 for a private transfer, they were great.

Other things...

Driving up to the ship in Southampton we thought the ship looked it's age but we love her anyway.

For years on this forum I've read posts from UK cruisers talking about a 'hob' and there need for it.  Previous to getting on the ship, we traveled around Ireland, Scotland and England for several weeks.  Now we get it!  You need a hob!

Please don't read this as a negative review, it's not, but I wanted to point out what's changed from previous crossings.  We love Cunard and the QM2.

I mentioned we both tested negative just before the cruise.  When we got home Tuesday night my husband started having chills and a fever.  We tested him and sure enough he has covid.  I tested negative and feel fine. He's feeling a little better today but he's in isolation now.  We didn't wear masks on board, the vast majority of folks didn't, but we did keep our distance from people and felt we were otherwise careful.  You just never know.

On 11/8/2022 at 4:51 PM, IB2 said:

The internet is a lot better now than it used to be before the pandemic!

How Americans manage without an electric kettle, I do not know!  Fortunately Cunard supplies one in every room.

A lecture by Stephen Payne would have been a real treat.

I use a kettle on the stovetop. We had an electric kettle at work because there was no stove in the break room, I think of electric kettles as break room or travel gadgets, no need in my kitchen at home. 

Our electric kettle is far faster, so more energy efficient than our gas range, and sets the correct temperature for the tea we are drinking. I also cook lots, and the tea pot would get spattered and take up a burner. The coffee maker has been sent to the basement. Love my electric kettle.

• Like 1