How Long do You Wait to Make Final Payment?

LEMJMcC

18 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Gotta be careful though.  My cruise bud usually waits until she gets that email notice from RCCL, but this last cruise, the day we were supposed to print up the luggage tags, there was no cruise on her account!  She said she never got the email so she forgot to pay it...yep, they DO cancel those!  She was able to get an ocean view on deck 3 at the last minute, but not the JS she originally had...what an unhappy camper...caveat emptor!.  Lesson learned, put that final payment date on your phone reminder.

I am so ACD, I would never forget that date.  Usually pay it off the week before so I can get adjustments as others have said.

Very strange, your friend gets her cruise cancelled with no notification and I get a phone call two weeks after the payment date asking me if I had forgotten to pay and would I like to do so now. 

Must be something to do with UK and US booking terms.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tin can said:

cancelled with no notification

I didn't say that.  She did get a notification about cancellation.  She went back and checked, she had actually gotten 2 saying final payment was due.  She said she never saw them, so she was unaware until we went to check in.  That's why I caution to set many reminders.  I save everything I get in a special doc file on my computer and I'm always looking at the confirmation page to check the date.  She happens to be a very busy real estate person, she just got too busy an was relying on those emails too much...it's our responsibility...I think she has learned well.

18 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I didn't say that.  She did get a notification about cancellation.  She went back and checked, she had actually gotten 2 saying final payment was due.  She said she never saw them, so she was unaware until we went to check in.  That's why I caution to set many reminders.  I save everything I get in a special doc file on my computer and I'm always looking at the confirmation page to check the date.  She happens to be a very busy real estate person, she just got too busy an was relying on those emails too much...it's our responsibility...I think she has learned well.

Apologies, I must have read your post incorrectly about your friend getting notifications.

In my situation after payment was due I was getting reminder emails daily, I'd have phoned to explain and cancel if it didn't take so long to get through and then they phoned me after two weeks.

No automatic cancellation and I could have paid there and then 14 days late, I'm nothing special (only Diamond) so must be a peculiarity about booking from the UK.

That was a one off though with us not being able to go on this cruise, we don't get price match here so I pay them off early. We are fully paid for Anthem out of New York next Easter.

Just paid off our Allure cruise on April 2.  Now we can begin to pay for Harmony in October.  We do not wait until the last minute to pay.  Yes, I know, Royal has the free use of our money because we paid early but we have peace of mind that we won't forget and lose the cruise.  And our final payment was due Jan. 2.  Lots going on in December so we got it done.

44 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

Just paid off our Allure cruise on April 2.  Now we can begin to pay for Harmony in October.  We do not wait until the last minute to pay.  Yes, I know, Royal has the free use of our money because we paid early but we have peace of mind that we won't forget and lose the cruise.  And our final payment was due Jan. 2.  Lots going on in December so we got it done.

Everyone has their own level of understanding and I can see that you thought about your decision. If it works for you, that is all that matters. Everyone's situation is unique.