Wedding MC Question

CruisingFunk

Hello,

We are having our wedding at sea this February on the Escape and though most items are taken care of a major topic is in question. 

Did your DJ also MC your wedding? Cake cutting? Introductions? And so on?

Our coordinator is giving us the runaround stating it’s up to the dj. 

Quite frankly this terrified us that we will may have to ask a guest last minute to give up enjoying the wedding to be the MC.

There are 36 guests accompanying us on the seven day cruise and hope for a somewhat smooth wedding. 

Hoping to hear your experience. 

Thank you in advance!

16 minutes ago, CruisingFunk said:

Hello,

We are having our wedding at sea this February on the Escape and though most items are taken care of a major topic is in question. 

Quite frankly this terrified us that we will may have to ask a guest last minute to give up enjoying the wedding to be the MC.

There are 36 guests accompanying us on the seven day cruise and hope for a somewhat smooth wedding. 

Thank you in advance!

What do you mean “MC the wedding”.   Do you mean the reception?  The DJ doesn’t pick up the microphone until the weddings over.  

• Like 1

Yes. The reception.
 Examples:

Welcoming the wedding party in during the reception by name, “Now it’s time for the father daughter dance,” or “I’d like to welcome everyone to the floor for a dance,” or “Please gather round as the bride and the groom cut the cake.” 

Thank you for any suggestions. There are a few people we can ask in our guest list or have one friend in mind we could help $ to attend the cruise in exchange for their help during the reception. 

Edited by CruisingFunk

1 hour ago, CruisingFunk said:

Yes. The reception.
 Examples:

Welcoming the wedding party in during the reception by name, “Now it’s time for the father daughter dance,” or “I’d like to welcome everyone to the floor for a dance,” or “Please gather round as the bride and the groom cut the cake.” 

Thank you for any suggestions. There are a few people we can ask in our guest list or have one friend in mind we could help $ to attend the cruise in exchange for their help during the reception. 

There is a forum dedicated specifically for Wedding & Honeymoon Cruises.  You are much more likely to get good information by asking your questions there.  Here is the link:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/18-honeymoon-amp-wedding-cruises/

• Like 1

Every wedding I can remember, the DJ (or the band/orchestra) did the MC-ing.  I'm sure there were instances where someone else may have done it, but, generally speaking all that I can remember the DJ did it. 

I can't imagine any DJ who does weddings saying they would NOT do the MCing also.   But I assume in your situation, NCL is providing the DJ and hence why you can't get an answer?  If it turns out they won't do it, I really don't think it would be a big deal for one of your guests.  I know if I was one of your guests and learned you needed someone to MC, I wouldn't hesitate to volunteer.  It's not like they'd be tied up "working" the whole time.  They grab the nic for introductions and a few other points along the way and they're done.  Not a big deal.

• Like 3

At one friend's wedding I learned that I had to put on a Grumpy outfit and traipse around the reception as the reception was starting. I didn't mind at all. I'm sure one of your friends would be happy to do some introductions...maybe even more personalized than a rando-NCL DJ. 

Have a wonderfully special day!

• Like 1

Agree, DJ doing that type of thing is the norm where I'm from. If the requests are small (wedding party intro and something like cake cutting), I can't imagine they'll grumble too much. Though do understand that getting people's name pronunciations right is probably a stressor for them, so sticking to first names is nice, and make sure it's written down (with phonetic spelling if necessary).

Welcome!  It appears you are new to these boards, not sure if you are new to cruising.

The DJ's on these NCL ships are very professional and are pros when it comes to interacting with crowds and coordinating with the other cruise entertainment staff.  I'm fairly confident that with the proper tip you will have no issue having them announce and lightly steer the event as you wish. 

Just curious: where do you have the reception?  Is it mid-day in one of the main dining rooms? 

Would the best man not MC the event? I would have thought that would be normal where a professional is not available, its traditionally the best mans duties to welcome guests, to make sure guests are seated correctly at the ceremony and to make the first toast at the reception.

On 10/26/2022 at 10:33 PM, CruisingFunk said:

Hello,

Thank you in advance!

I do not know the answer to any of this.  I just wanted to tell you congrats on your wedding and that I hope you have a wonderful life together.

You are welcome from behind.

• Like 2

Big congrats to you both.  Hope the wedding, the celebration and your life together is wonderful.

Just to be on the safe side, ask the DJ what they plan to do, and give specific instructions as to what you want.  I’m sure they’ll be accommodating.

6 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Would the best man not MC the event? I would have thought that would be normal where a professional is not available, its traditionally the best mans duties to welcome guests, to make sure guests are seated correctly at the ceremony and to make the first toast at the reception.

Every wedding I’ve ever attended has had the DJ MC, announce the bridal party, parents, couple, first dance, cake cutting, etc., DJ’s do more than play music, they engage with the guests. Otherwise one could just set up a play list.

Just now, mjkacmom said:

Every wedding I’ve ever attended has had the DJ MC, announce the bridal party, parents, couple, first dance, cake cutting, etc., DJ’s do more than play music, they engage with the guests. Otherwise one could just set up a play list.

Agreed, that is why I said "traditionally" and "If no professional is available".

Certainly people pay to have have a professional MC (who could be the DJ) these days but take it back a many decades and it was traditionally the best man along with the fathers who carried out these duties.
The OP is suggesting a gust may have to do it & has not said if the DJ can do it, I'm just pointing out how it was traditionally done which could be a fall-back.

4 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Agreed, that is why I said "traditionally" and "If no professional is available".

Certainly people pay to have have a professional MC (who could be the DJ) these days but take it back a many decades and it was traditionally the best man along with the fathers who carried out these duties.
The OP is suggesting a gust may have to do it & has not said if the DJ can do it, I'm just pointing out how it was traditionally done which could be a fall-back.

I guess I live in an area with over the top wedding receptions, even my grandparents had a formal reception in the 1930’s. Father of the bride might make a speech, as well as the best man. One of the DJ’s main jobs at weddings is to make announcements. I don’t think the OP should worry about it, I’m assuming they are paying him.