Sewage and cigars

fizook

First, thank you Ryan82 for some common sense in this ridiculous conversation. 

If people have all these health issues and fears, why choose a cruise line that has smoking lounges and smoking areas?

There are way more cruise lines that don't allow cigars. You have options if cigars are soooo offensive to you, or is detrimental to your health.

There are plenty of areas on SS ships that are non smoking.

Has it been determined that where this is  taking place is in a NON SMOKING AREA?

That small area outside the Panorama Lounge ha always been designated FOR smoking, if the Wind is the same as all other SS ships.  That has been the rules for years.

If that's the case your complaining is moot.

We tend to be very considerate of anyone around where we smoke. But I must tell you,  your constant bellyaching is starting to annoy me. One person that is inconsiderate is no reason to put the rest of us down.

If these posts are true, it seems to me there are worse problems on the Wind than cigar smokers.

Don't you try to take away our choice of choosing the few cruise lines that allow us to enjoy a fine cigar. We pay high prices too.

We can't wait for our flights next week where we can have a cigar in the high end cigar lounge at Frankfurt Airport.

Then in our Grand Hotel visiting their high end cigar lounge.

We are not wealthy/powerful/connected.....but enjoy our cigars.

PS....we never complain about the wreaking of after shave and perfumes we must SUFFER with, everywhere on the ship.

Chill out, will you.

Elaine 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ryan82 said:

I'm sorry but it's nothing short of hysterical that the anti-cigar brigade conclude the cigar smoking villain is major shareholder, or otherwise rich and powerful and therefore acting above the law and all things decent by smoking a legal product, in an area according to the screenshot uploaded is permitted.

I understand cigar smoke might be unpleasant for some, but it sounds as if the guy is doing it outside. I just can't believe the smell is that ruinous to someones cruise.

Maybe he's just an arrogant, entitled jerk who thinks that his choice to flaunt the rules is more important than everyone else's right to enjoy what they paid for and who treats the crew in such a way that they are reluctant to confront him.

I have yet to read a post implying that anyone has joined an anti-cigar brigade. I have seen several who simply want cigar smokers to smoke where cigar smoking is allowed. Use steak knives in restaurants. Lift weights in the gym. Smoke cigars in the cigar smoking area. It's not that complicated. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Maybe he's just an arrogant, entitled jerk who thinks that his choice to flaunt the rules is more important than everyone else's right to enjoy what they paid for and who treats the crew in such a way that they are reluctant to confront him.

I have yet to read a post implying that anyone has joined an anti-cigar brigade. I have seen several who simply want cigar smokers to smoke where cigar smoking is allowed. Use steak knives in restaurants. Lift weights in the gym. Smoke cigars in the cigar smoking area. It's not that complicated. 

We still haven't determined if indeed he is smoking in a non smoking area. Is he smoking in a designated smoking area or not?

• Like 1

From SS's own website:

Smoking Policies

Most areas on board are non-smoking, and smoking is not permitted in guest suites or guest suite verandas or balconies. However, cigarette, cigar, electronic cigarette and pipe smoking is permitted in the Connoisseur's Corner and in specifically designated areas. These areas include designated tables outside of the Panorama Lounge and the Pool Bar, as well as on open Decks 9 and 10 aboard Silver Spirit, Silver Whisper, Silver Shadow and Silver Muse; on open Deck 9 aboard Silver Cloud and Silver Wind; in specifically-designated outside areas on Decks 5 and 6 aboard Silver Explorer; in a designated outside area on Deck 4 aboard Silver Galapagos; and in the designated smoking area on Deck 6 on Silver Discoverer.

So the gentleman in question is breaking no rules.

Below is the Silver Wind's specific smoking rules. It shows up on the Daily Chronicle every few days.

Although a bit confusing the last sentence is quite clear where cigar smoking is allowed.

And what Ryan82 posted from SS website says only on open Deck 9 on Silver Wind.

on open Deck 9 aboard Silver Cloud and Silver Wind

He is in fact breaking the cigar rule, the ship's Hotel Director agrees that he is but will not take any action to stop it. She says he's been reprimanded numerous times but refuses to stop. I say "bullsh%t". I've not seen one officer talk to him. 

Neither will they change the wording to make it less confusing. A very unprofessional bunch I'd say.

image.png.516be3a8af2371f08f188057623ae038.png

Just now, Tothesunset said:

So how long is it reasonable to annoy other passengers? 

I don't think that's the point - I'm just saying logically the offending guy can't be out there cigar chomping for 24 hours a day. 

1 minute ago, Ryan82 said:

I don't think that's the point - I'm just saying logically the offending guy can't be out there cigar chomping for 24 hours a day. 

And? 

That's not a point that adds greatly to the argument. 

It seems he is annoying many people currently on the Wind. More importantly, it would seem that other passengers are having their enjoyment of the shop spoiled by an ignorant slob. 

How can that be defended? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

And? 

That's not a point that adds greatly to the argument. 

It seems he is annoying many people currently on the Wind. More importantly, it would seem that other passengers are having their enjoyment of the shop spoiled by an ignorant slob. 

How can that be defended? 

Well it is - as the "annoyance" must be restricted to certain times. Unless it;s groucho marx onboard I doubt he smokes more than 2 a day.

Why is he a slob btw?

8 minutes ago, Not a Georgia Peach said:

It really doesn't matter how often he is smoking his cigar, it clearly states cigar smoking is allowed only in the Connoisseur's Corner.

Correct.  IMO someone in management should tell the person to please stop smoking cigars in undesignated areas.  If he refuses after a few warnings he should be removed from the ship.

• Like 9

The Corporate Mother Ship has Spoken!

The blurb in the Chronicle was a mistake and is incorrect.

Cigar smoking is allowed in ALL designated smoking areas.  Including during lunch and dinning times. 

So if you find this offensive, time to vote with your feet.

Perhaps I can clarify some of the issues everyone has been discussing.

I do not mind an occasional whiff of cigar smoke. But to smell it constantly is for me nauseating.  Especially when I am eating, trying to enjoy a fine glass of wine, or just breathing. I feel the same way about smelling strong cologne and mutton. But those are not things one smells all day.

For those who do not understand  the cigar smoker who has infuriated everyone puffs ALL day. So there is no break, it is nearly constant. He has made it clear to staff and guests that he takes great pleasure in doing this to annoy everyone.  Being a smaller ship there are less options to escape the odor. For example: with pool and Panorama out, there is no public outdoor option. With Panorama out, there is no public  indoor option with a bar and view. Everytime the door opens from Connoisseurs Corner the air fills Panorama. That combined with the cigar smoke from outside when the door opens creates a vortex. Therein lies the rub.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Cigar smoking is allowed in ALL designated smoking areas.  Including during lunch and dinning times. 

I do not mind an occasional whiff of cigar smoke. But to smell it constantly is for me nauseating.  Especially when I am eating, trying to enjoy a fine glass of wine, or just breathing. I feel the same way about smelling strong cologne and mutton. But those are not things one smells all day.

For those who do not understand  the cigar smoker who has infuriated everyone puffs ALL day. So there is no break, it is nearly constant. He has made it clear to staff and guests that he takes great pleasure in doing this to annoy everyone.  Being a smaller ship there are less options to escape the odor. For example: with pool and Panorama out, there is no public outdoor option. With Panorama out, there is no public  indoor option with a bar and view. Everytime the door opens from Connoisseurs Corner the air fills Panorama. That combined with the cigar smoke from outside when the door opens creates a vortex. Therein lies the rub.

I must say I’m surprised that he hasn’t gone swimming 🦈

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Where did you get this info?

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Thanks for the heads up. For sure I am not booking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Is it just possible that this rule will be changed back by Head Office shortly, once someone has disembarked from one particular cruise?

Lola

Then, the next one comes on board with the new/old rules, that are ignored, and said smoker is allowed to remain smoking cigars outside, then the rules change to accomodate them and rule changes back and so on and so on.....  It's not rocket surgery.   Cigars only in Connoisseurs Club.  That's it.  Don't care how much of a tantrum the fool has. Unceremoniously offloaded at the next port.

Edited by kimanjo
  • Like 1

I just have a feeling that this person might have had some sort of 'hold' - meaning a very high spending entitled person who evidently has to be treated in a special way while on board?   Maybe on instructions to the staff from Head Office. I have seen this sort of thing occasionally, when people should have been thrown off, but  were friends of the ship's owner.  Therefore a very rare occurrence, one hopes.  And of course should not happen ever.

I have to say again that most here, including me, do not object to cigars being smoked where it is allowed, even if we do not like it.  I remember booking a Silversea cruise and being a bit doubtful about the smoking (which was then I am sure allowed in more places)   and saying the special club was  a very good idea.  Also, no doubt smokers prefer to be with others who do not frown on them, but are also smoking.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fizook said:

Pls provide link or other means to access what you've  been advised.

Having trouble accepting it 

Go to reception and ask to meet with HD & or CD.  

5 hours ago, Ryan82 said:

I don't want to infuriate people more, but has anyone asked the gentleman if he could smoke cigars inside? As in a fellow passenger. 

Yes. That is why so many up in arms.  He purposely chooses to annoy. When the notice was put up that no cigar smoking was allowed during dinning hours at the pool he would sit there puffing until the exact minute, and then return at the exact minute lunch was over.

There are a number of other cigar smokers on board who are all lovely and do smoke inside in the corner.  It a shame he gives them a bad name.