Which cruises are best for solo passengers ?

crusingrightnow

3 hours ago, crusingrightnow said:

Like for breakfast, lunch and dinner seating too.

The short answer is you'll probably get better answers by reposting this in the Solo Cruisers forum at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/ .

To answer the question in your title, it's very interesting, but to make a long story short, there's no one cruise line that's far out in front for solo travelers.  NCL does some nice things for solos, but it all depends on what you really want out of your cruises.

To answer the specific question you asked, again, it all depends on what you want.  If you want to be seated in a section of tables with singles for dinner night after night, NCL sets this up.  If you want to dine with the same people night after night and possibly get to know them, fixed dining is what you want.  If you want to NOT dine with the same people night after night, the cruise line can arrange this too.  If you want a buddy to eat with, you can try arranging something in your roll call (or equivalent elsewhere), or even on the ship.

Notice that I've mostly focused on dinner in the above paragraph.  For all cruise lines that I know about, there's no assigned seating for breakfast or lunch anywhere.  Plan accordingly.

Any cruise line you like the looks of (after doing some research) or that you like the itinerary of is the best cruise line for YOU, whether solo or not solo.

I've traveled solo for 25+ years now and I fail to see why solo passengers should be lumped into some special category or cruise line. We are basically just a subset of the population in general -- some are older, some younger; some are adventurous and some are not; some cruise primarily to relax while others want to go to interesting new places. 

I would suggest that you just start researching lines (and itineraries) and go with whatever looks most appealing to you. 

(To give a counter-point on NCL:  it's not for all solos, especially if you enjoy eating with others in the MDR. Most lines make this easy by just asking if you want to share a table when you walk up to the hostess. However on NCL there is almost a religious fervor about others' dislike of dining with anyone other than their own party.  Sorry NCL, I don't want to have to be relegated to sitting only with other solos (and then only if I show up at a certain time and place).  IRL my friends come from a variety of groups -- why would I only want to hang out with other solos onboard a ship?  I'm just looking for an interesting dinner conversation, not a new bestie.)

• Like 3

People tend to throw out NCL because they have the "solo cabin and fare". In the times I have priced this out, it is rarely any kind of savings. Since they are so limited demand is higher. It's also an even smaller room if you could imagine.

I'd focus more on finding a line that offers what you as a cruiser, not a solo cruiser, would find important.

• Like 2

If you fancy a cruise out of the UK,  you could look at Saga cruises. 

Just two ships, max occupancy 999 pax, and 100 solo cabins, all with balconies.

Special arrangements for solo travellers to dine together, if you so wish.