Magnets

BVILady

I want to bring some magnets for the cabin but not sure how to get them to the ship. I think I read somewhere that they cannot be in the checked luggage. But I am sure they should not be close to my computer, phone and credit cards so don't want to bring them in my personal item. Checking 2 suit cases and didn't want to bring another carry-on, just too much to handle, so how am I going to deal with the magnets or can the small magnets go into the suit case?

Magnets are allowed in checked bags, as well as carry-on bags.

Source: TSA (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/magnets)

We have been bringing magnetic hooks and magnetic clips on cruises for a few years, and find them invaluable. I prefer the hooks, as they can be used to hang hats, clothes, cords, and many other items. And they can be used as a regular magnet (not using the hook part) to post printed items to the wall. On our last World Cruise, I think we brought a dozen or so, and used them all.

Amazon has a good selection. I error on the larger side, and have the Strongman 50-pound magnetic hooks, but there are smaller ones available.

Most come with a thin adhesive pad that can be applied to the circular magnet. I put these on to protect the wall from scratches, and make them slide around easier. I haven't found that the pad interferes with the magnetic strength at all.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 1:18 PM, Diveloonie said:

Can someone provide a link to the best magnets for your cruise cabin?  Too many choices and not sure what to get.....

DH bought these.  He bought a dozen, and we have everything hanging we can hang.  Wish he had brought more, as we air dry shirts after doing laundry and realized we could use those hooks to help doing that too.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Facilitate-Kitchen-Workplace-Office/dp/B08K35SM33/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=Magnetic%2Bhooks&qid=1672699214&sr=8-2-spons&smid=AADRPL0EEP9MO&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTTZPQ0VWUzI0Vk1TJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjkxNDMyMUNNOEZDVTVCSzlVJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4NTM4MzczSjUyTjY2NjlMNUJCJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Edited by Mich3554

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest the above but in 50 lb.  When hanging from the wall the 25 lb don’t hold as much weight and your items may slide down.  I use the 50 lb ones on the ceiling when I hang a clothes line or just a hanger for things to dry.  I’m amazed at much the 50 lb hold.  

• 3 weeks later...

DW and I joke that we feel that we should have a warning sign on our cabin door warning people with pacemakers that they should not enter our cabin due to the number of magnets we have all throughout the cabin.

No problem at all bringing them on board.  Also remember that often (not all the time) the ceiling is also metal.  We use magnetic hooks on the ceiling to hang shoe organizers and hanging shelves that are made to go in closets.  

These are the magnets we used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BF3LY3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by JanR