FYI. Arriving at San Diego Cruise port important information

lais

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank you but your colleague did post some numbers earlier in this thread.  I understand those numbers wouldn’t be the final ones.

He knew because that ship already sailed

1 minute ago, Andi Land said:

He also gave the number for November 5th which is sailing Saturday. 

Hmm.  I see that. I don’t know how he knows.  I’ll have to ask him about my Nov 19th sailing which I think will be full. Maybe if it’s a full ship the port knows ahead of time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lais said:

Hmm.  I see that. I don’t know how he knows.  I’ll have to ask him about my Nov 19th sailing which I think will be full. Maybe if it’s a full ship the port knows ahead of time. 

I’m on the November 5th sailing and knew it was sold out but didn’t realize just how many were on board. It’s definitely a full ship. 

Maybe the port gets the info ahead of time when it’s full to have more employees available? Just a guess, no basis in fact. 😂

Thank you both for your postings. I usually stay across the street at Springfield Suites and watch the activities at the dock. People seem to start standing in line about 9:45AM and once the line starts moving, I walk over if my boarding time is the first group. 

• Thanks 1

Just wanted to verify the original post.  This is exactly what happened to us on Oct. 13 boarding.  It was quite disorganized and no one was let into the port area (not even taxis) until 10:30am.  And nowhere to sit and you could not drop off luggage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Just wanted to verify the original post.  This is exactly what happened to us on Oct. 13 boarding.  It was quite disorganized and no one was let into the port area (not even taxis) until 10:30am.  And nowhere to sit and you could not drop off luggage.

Why are people there so early?  To my knowledge there is no boarding time that early 

16 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Why are people there so early?  To my knowledge there is no boarding time that early 

Our boarding time was 10 AM!!  I thought this was crazy early, but we were there at the appointed time and were not let into secure area until about 10:30.

I can verify that the first boarding time Group A was 10 am that day in San Diego.  It was very unusual and I had pointed it out to my manager days before.  It was too late to make any changes.

Nevertheless, it won't happen again.  Our first Group A November 5th is 11:30 am.

There is nowhere to sit at the port entrance; however, a short walk in any direction (except west) will get you shade, food, and an available restroom.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I hope it’s open.  Don’t know if you are cruising on the koningsdam but it was not open for the 2 weeks I was on in March and my recollection was that it wasn’t open in November 2021.  I physically went and checked in March.  I don’t like the cafeteria so the mdr is my choice.

I am on the Konigsdam- I hope it’s open and I can board early.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 6:27 PM, AnnieBelle said:

I am on the Konigsdam- I hope it’s open and I can board early.

Print your boarding pass (again if you have already done so) close to your sail date to get your boarding time because if your boarding pass says “boarding time not assigned” then you have to go in behind everyone else that has a time.  

11 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

@laisI am 5* and have a boarding time of 11:30. Are you saying that I could come anytime after 10:30?

5* yes.   Port usually opens around 10:30 if there are no delays.   But they won’t be boarding the ship at that time. You’ll just be sitting around waiting for boarding to start and that depends on how fast they can get the ship ready after debark.   Official boarding time is 1 pm but they try to get that started earlier.  

• Thanks 1

If I can upload the link, it will give you some idea as to the cruise port, the amenities within a 3 block walking radius.  You will notice plenty of seats available but not just in front of the pier.  The first few minutes are walking towards the pier.  The more important information is withing one block of the ship.

David

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

If I can upload the link, it will give you some idea as to the cruise port, the amenities within a 3 block walking radius.  You will notice plenty of seats available but not just in front of the pier.  The first few minutes are walking towards the pier.  The more important information is withing one block of the ship.

David

Awesome!  Good information. 

8 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

This was extremely helpful to watch. Thank you for posting!

8 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

David

On 11/2/2022 at 3:40 PM, lais said:

5* yes.   Port usually opens around 10:30 if there are no delays.   But they won’t be boarding the ship at that time. You’ll just be sitting around waiting for boarding to start and that depends on how fast they can get the ship ready after debark.   Official boarding time is 1 pm but they try to get that started earlier.  

We are on the HAL Nov 17th sailing, my husband and I have group a @11:30 4* and in Neptune Suite. My mother is in group f @1:10, 4* and in Neptune Suite (different cabin). Can she board with us or will she have to wait? Thank you for the info, much appreciated!

2 hours ago, elkay68 said:

We are on the HAL Nov 17th sailing, my husband and I have group a @11:30 4* and in Neptune Suite. My mother is in group f @1:10, 4* and in Neptune Suite (different cabin). Can she board with us or will she have to wait? Thank you for the info, much appreciated!

Since she is a 4 Star AND in a Neptune she normally will be allowed to board whenever she wants.  If fact, so should you.

2 hours ago, lstrong said:

I have a question as well. We are 4* mariners and have requested wheelchair embarkation for my husband.  Do we need to wait in our line before we get the wheelchair assistance?  Thank you for your help, Laurie 

No you won’t have to wait in line. Just don’t arrive before the port is open.  

33 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Generally in SD its 10:30 am.

If there are no delays ie: the ship is in time, no delays in debark etc then the port will open around 10:30 but boarding doesn’t start until around 11:30 IF no delays.  Remember official boarding time is 1 pm but they always try to start boarding earlier.  So if you go in at 10:30 you have to sit around and wait inside and it is cold in there. 

48 minutes ago, lais said:

If there are no delays ie: the ship is in time, no delays in debark etc then the port will open around 10:30 but boarding doesn’t start until around 11:30 IF no delays.  Remember official boarding time is 1 pm but they always try to start boarding earlier.  So if you go in at 10:30 you have to sit around and wait inside and it is cold in there. 

I just don’t understand getting there at 10:30.  If my boarding time is 11:30 I will be there at 11:30.  Standing in one spot without moving is not comfortable for me so I won’t do it.

Do you or @DAllenTCY have any “final” numbers boarding today?  How about preliminary numbers for next week?  I do understand everything is subject to change.  Thanks.