Princess or P & O - South Pacific

Galesa

As we had to cancel our HAL Westerdam cruise to NZ (Covid strikes again!); and it's likely to be at least 6 weeks before the dust settles and refunds and FCCs are issued, so we thought we would look at alternative cruises in the near future, leaving the FCC for use perhaps at the end of 2023.

We've narrowed down a choice between 2 South Pacific cruises: a 13-day Majestic Princess cruise to Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia; or a 11-day Pacific Explorer to Vanuatu and Noumea departing mid to late February '23.

The P&O is around $5700 for a mini suite with the premium package. The Princess is just under $8K for a premium deluxe balcony with mid level package. It's fair to say the Princess cruise has the more interesting itinerary.

Just looking for some collective information, experience and advice to help us decide if the additional cost of the Princess cruise is worth it. 

We've only ever cruise with HAL and while we like the "low keyness" of HAL we wouldn't be averse to a little more activity.

Many thanks in advice. 

As far as I can tell, Princess' mid-level package is at least equal to P&O's premium level package, and includes internet if that is of interest. More inclusions on Princess, but more lively entertainment on P&O.

IF HAL is your preferred brand, there is a much wider gulf between them and P&O.

• Like 1

I would not pay that sort of money for P&O. If the cost is an issue I'd go a lower balcony and package on Princess. Last time I was on P&O people with the package had difficulty getting drink orders in the dining room. I don't like their restrictions with food times either. I want to eat when I want, and I like good food. I equate P&O food to pub food. 

I hear they have upped their game a bit this year. I doubt I'll go and find out. 

• Like 1

We have been on the Majestic Princess, she is a beautiful ship, she has indoor and outdoor pools, international cafe for coffee and cakes, sandwiches, soup 24 hours a day,  true anytime dining.  I guess Princess feels more like a hotel and P&O more like a pub.  We have not been on Carnival but heard some good reviews.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 1:50 PM, Galesa said:

As we had to cancel our HAL Westerdam cruise to NZ (Covid strikes again!); and it's likely to be at least 6 weeks before the dust settles and refunds and FCCs are issued, so we thought we would look at alternative cruises in the near future, leaving the FCC for use perhaps at the end of 2023.

We've narrowed down a choice between 2 South Pacific cruises: a 13-day Majestic Princess cruise to Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia; or a 11-day Pacific Explorer to Vanuatu and Noumea departing mid to late February '23.

The P&O is around $5700 for a mini suite with the premium package. The Princess is just under $8K for a premium deluxe balcony with mid level package. It's fair to say the Princess cruise has the more interesting itinerary.

Just looking for some collective information, experience and advice to help us decide if the additional cost of the Princess cruise is worth it. 

We've only ever cruise with HAL and while we like the "low keyness" of HAL we wouldn't be averse to a little more activity.

Many thanks in advice. 

For food alone, I would recommend Princess over P&O.

P&O back in the day 2004 - 2016 ish, good quality and variety was fantastic. However since they made the changes to the buffet and a more modern style of cruising, m we found the food quite average, and not traditional quality cruise fare.

MDR was more along the lines of basic pub food at best, the pantry (buffet) often required multiple line ups to get a complete meal ;

(one queue for eggs, one for bacon).

Link below is for my P&O cruise in 2016, goes a bit more in depth on the food.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2327093

I haven’t cruised on Princess yet however have been fortunate to dine onboard a number of times as a travel agent, and the food is very enjoyable and high quality.

Edited by LuckiePuris

On 11/2/2022 at 12:50 PM, Galesa said:

Many thanks in advice. 

I wouldn't book ahead at the moment as there are so many last minute specials around.  Just register with cruise lines of interest and they will email you when specials are available. 

I feel that Princess is a bit up-market compared with P&O. We have cruised twice in the last couple of months on the Pacific Encounter and found that P&O have moved up-market a little with their new ships. In the buffet (called the Pantry) I never had to queue twice for eggs and bacon and in fact if I had to queue, it was behind one person only. This was at peak times. The buffet isn't self-serve. If I wanted scrambled eggs, there was bacon available from the same server and bacon was also available at another couple of serving stations. At breakfast, pastries are available in a separate area that is used to serve desserts at lunch. Probably the main difference between the buffets of Princess and P&O are that on P&O, passengers have to get their own juice and coffee whereas on Princess, staff offer to get it for you.

In the dining room, P&O change their dinner menu only once during a seven day cruise whereas Princess change the menu daily (with a few 'always available items'. P&O keep the same breakfast and lunch menu all the time. Comparing the MDR food, I feel that Princess is a little bit better than P&O, but there is nothing wrong with P&O. Princess has lobster and snails on one night but not on P&O.

Two of the specialty restaurants on P&O (Angelo's and Dragon Lady) are excellent and they are included in the cruise fare. Luke Mangan's restaurant costs extra. On Princess, the specialty restaurants also have an extra charge.

Wine - P&O charge around $10 less per bottle than Princess, but on Princess you can take your own on board. You pay $15 corkage (except for one bottle per person).