For roundtrip sailings from Seattle or Vancouver , what side

Crazy planning mom

Agree it doesn't matter at all. Choose the cabin location best suited to you while you're onboard. We usually opt for mid-ship with cabins above/below regardless of which side that happens to be.

I chose aft, on the port edge. I have always wanted to do an aft cabin, and it was available.  Best of both? Wake view?  I guess this is why people book so early.  I am usually a 1-2 month out type of person.   I have done the port side as well 10 years ago.  

Although Alaska is the land of the MidNight Sun sailings in the early and late season the

sea travel maybe mostly at night twilight - At dusk visibility is limited. Bright deck lighting

can diminish the viewing.

Basically sailing out of Seattle you will transit the Pacific ocean side of Vancouver Island.

Sailing from Vancouver more in likely you will transit the {Canadian) Inside Passage - most

of this during the night. Yes the sail-away and morning arrival at ports will be somewhat in

daylight.

In general traveling northbound the starboard {right} side faces the bulk of land and

conversely sailing southbound the port {left} side faces the bulk of land.

Remember that except for the portion - Pacific Ocean side of Vancouver and the final leg

passing by Hubbard glacier destination Seward/Whittier there is land - islands on both sides

of the ship.

Passage by these land features will be anywhere from 20 plus to less than a quarter of mile

viewing would best be with binoculars telephoto lens or other zooming devices.

You are seeing a small window of the B-I-G Alaska picture.

Balcony stateroom fine but an even limited view - "get out of Dodge" and see more from

one of the upper decks - Search for these viewing points during the first couple of days of

the cruise - inclement weather seek out shelter on one of the enclosed {promenade} decks. 

No one will coax you out of your stateroom cocoon - but for better viewing best be

sheading your security blanket.

Pay attention to any announcements about scenic features coming into view !

There maybe cruise/tour guides to assist when and where to look !

Now pulling the curtain aside don't pay any attention to this !  LOL !