Coming back to Princess

pcur

I just booked again on Princess, now a solo.  I am on the Discovery Princess and the cabin pics from cruisedeckplans.com are looking good for an inside.

I booked the standard fare and was pleasantly surprised that it included a $100 obc, and another $100 for shore excursions.  Since I have a 4:50pm flight home, it was nice to be able book a shore excursion with airport drop-off at no charge to me.  

I'm also catching up on the Platinum benefits.  What is a Platinum and Elite lounge?  Is this like RCCL where the lounge is accessible only to Plats and Elites, or is a reference to the Happy Hour?  How is that Happy Hour going now?  Drink prices?

Thanks for any information for this little wandering lamb...........................

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, pcur said:

I just booked again on Princess, now a solo.  I am on the Discovery Princess and the cabin pics from cruisedeckplans.com are looking good for an inside.

I booked the standard fare and was pleasantly surprised that it included a $100 obc, and another $100 for shore excursions.  Since I have a 4:50pm flight home, it was nice to be able book a shore excursion with airport drop-off at no charge to me.  

I'm also catching up on the Platinum benefits.  What is a Platinum and Elite lounge?  Is this like RCCL where the lounge is accessible only to Plats and Elites, or is a reference to the Happy Hour?  How is that Happy Hour going now?  Drink prices?

Thanks for any information for this little wandering lamb...........................

There is no "regular" Happy Hour. The PES lounge is just a place for Platinum, Elite, and Suite guests to go for a bit of a nosh and some specially priced drinks from a limited menu. It's nothing fabulous but can be a nice place to have a little bit to eat and, if one likes, to have a slightly less expensive drink from the limited (maybe 6 drinks?) menu of specialty drinks.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, pcur said:

The Platinum, Elite and Suite lounge is nothing like RCCL's lounge for upper level Crown and Anchor guests 

It is a 2 hour setup in one of the ship lounges with some appetizers and a small discount off the normal drink price for a selection of cocktails.  The food is "free" while you pay for the drinks. Yes, your beverage package works at the event, should you have one.. 

It's not a separate lounge, no free drinks, nothing like that. You'll get a card in your room with location and times, along with the lineup of what each night's appetizer will be 

There is no longer a happy hour aboard Princess. That went by the wayside pre-covid.

Drink prices are less expensive than RCCl. Average around $9-12 for the vast vast vast majority. Drink menus have been posted thousands of times. Here's but one recent one: https://profcruise.com/princess-bar-and-drink-menus-2022/

If you're considering either the Plus or Premier beverage package - take a good hard look at buying into the Plus or Premier bundled fare instead, as it's less expensive than buying the beverage package on its 9en, and includes wifi access and crew appreciation (service charge/gratuity) also..

Enjoy. 

• Like 1

The PES is very poorly attended. Like at most 6 ppl there. 

Pro tip: Bring all of your friends that you make on the cruise ship to the PES lounge. They don't have to be PES to go as long as they go with you. It'll most likely be just you guys. I bring all of my party there and it's a blast. It does happen during dinner. So just be aware of that. 

9 hours ago, DrSea said:

The PES is very poorly attended. Like at most 6 ppl there. 

Pro tip: Bring all of your friends that you make on the cruise ship to the PES lounge. They don't have to be PES to go as long as they go with you. It'll most likely be just you guys. I bring all of my party there and it's a blast. It does happen during dinner. So just be aware of that. 

Sounds like a good idea.  I'm cruising with a group of 4 other passengers.

On our last spring cruise the PES was very poorly attended.

We went 4 or 5 times and it was never crowded. I attribute it to the fact that most people had the drink package and they weren't interested in a discounted drink

AND the appetizers they offered were nothing to get excited about. Potato salad in a small glass, carrots, celery olives, 1 night some small shrimp.

We just skipped it altogether & had our drinks and appetizers in the DR.