Overnight stays

3littlebirdz

When we did that route with Avalon, any time they told us we were on an "overnight" extension, they gave us the time they were leaving port. Cologne was 11:00 or something like that, and I think Rudesheim was 2:00. If you think you will be later, make sure that they aren't doing a midnight sail, and if not, let them know an approximate time you will be back. I don't think Avalon had a "curfew", but it's curtesy to let them know if you are going to be really late. I do believe the main desk was "manned" 24 hrs., so there would be someone to let you back in.

Whichever company you cruise with please let them know if you are leaving the ship and when you expect to return, apart from being courteous it’s to do with the security of the vessel. There will always be someone on duty either the Captain or his designated other, someone has to be available to be in charge of the vessel regardless of where your are moored. 
P.S. would you like strangers prowling the corridors whilst you sleep!

We were on Uniworld that had an overnight stay, if I recall correctly it was Bordeaux, at least it was somewhere on the Bordeaux river cruise. There was a gate at the pier that was locked at some point during the evening.  It was unlocked using a keypad and the code for it was published in the daily we received.

How can a proper answer be given without knowing which cruise line is being used? Perhaps @3littlebirdz would share that with us.

@CPT Trips Viking used to do that, but on our 2022 cruise Basel>Amsterdam the room key was also used to log you off/on the boat using a reader at the door.

@travlr21 Scenic used several jettys that needed key codes out of hours on their Bordeaux cruise this year. Not all jettys have gates though.

I agree with @Canal archive about telling reception if one will be returning late, and double checking when debarking when the boat is departing as the time may have changed from previous info based on locks etc.

@3littlebirdz If you're with Viking or Scenic then there's no curfew, however it's up to you to be onboard when the boat departs.

On Viking's Rhine Getaway cruise earlier this year they had an optional dinner in a restaurant at Rudesheim and some couples found their own restaurant to dine in. The boat departed Rudesheim at 08:00 the following morning, so Rudesheim should be a good bet.

At Koblenz the boat departed 03:00 - so time for dinner certainly. On that trip.