FIFA World Cup onboard?

Jkco2020

Hello! I’ve searched online and in topics on Cruise Critic, but haven’t been able to find anything definitive. 
Does anyone know if the the FIFA World Cup matches will be played on the MUTS screens onboard? I see news releases for 2018 and 2014, but nothing for 2022.  

I'm a big football (soccer) fan, and I've learned not to expect any matches on TV on any cruise line, no matter how "big" the game. If the World Cup is important to you (as it is to me), don't get on a ship during the tournament. You might be pleasantly surprised, but it's a risk I wouldn't take.

The sports channel on board is called Sports24, and at present do not have any World Cup games on schedule for its cruise channel. However, sometimes the ship will make a deal to pick up the games, similar to how they pick up Sunday NFL games. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, esstheman said:

The sports channel on board is called Sports24, and at present do not have any World Cup games on schedule for its cruise channel. However, sometimes the ship will make a deal to pick up the games, similar to how they pick up Sunday NFL games. 

Sports24 shows all the Premier League and Champions League matches so I would assume that the Sky Network must not have the rights to the World Cup games.  (Obviously they didn't pay off FIFA officials enough to get the rights.)  Since I guess the regular leagues are on hiatus during the WC, Sports 24 is going to be showing a whole lot of Australian Rules football and Rugby if they can't broadcast the WC.

In the US, the rights holder is Fox Sports.  I don't know the details of how the ships carry and show NFL games, but Fox NFL games are available on the stateroom TVs so you could suppose that if ships get the correct satellite for NFL games, they could show WC matches.

I would expect that you could bet WC games on the Ocean Sports Book however.

18 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Sports24 shows all the Premier League and Champions League matches so I would assume that the Sky Network must not have the rights to the World Cup games. 

In the UK, the World Cup is "protected", which means that Sky cannot show exclusively show any games. Every game will be shown on the free to air channels. 

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to share the FIFA games, as well as NCAA & NFL football, are being broadcast onboard Sky Princess this week (Nov 18-26)!  Games are available live on Sport 24 in rooms and some are being played (UK and USA matches) in public spaces. 
Unfortunately for this MN native, the Vikings/Cowboys game is currently on the Movies Under the Stars. Ouch. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just off the Discovery for a Thanksgiving week cruise.  ON the BIG screen on deck 16 was 'Merican Football, as I recall.  (I watched it in the room). 

I also watched some of the FIFA action in the room.

(go to TV and Movies/  Live TV/   NFL Football was the first choice but on the bottom row was the FIFA tournament games and commentary. 

I dont remember seeing anything about the games on the Big Screen, though the Captain did mention the US/ Britain game at the Elite/Platinum Reception)

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Baires said:

Who would I ask in advance when I get onboard? Guest Services?

it will show up in the patter for the day of the game. On Crown was available in cabins as will as on the big screen on Lido.

You might also see it in the medallion app after you board

Edited by ldtr