Allure of the Seas arrives a day early in Galveston TX

footzz

Yes, it is annoying to have such a limited selection of drinks in Texas waters!   They have a specially printed Texas drink menu in all the bars.  And apparently it has not changed since the guy at Captain's Corner explained the restrictions to us years ago.  The ship can only serve alcohol on which Texas tax has been paid until outside the 12 mile limit.  Thus they only buy a minimum and limited selection from Galveston distributors.  At least Royal is less restrictive than Cardinal for people with drink packages sailing from Galveston, though.

Another bit of weirdness is that you must pay Texas tax on any alcohol you are bringing back with you.  Doesn't matter where you bought it (on ship or on an island), doesn't matter if you paid nothing for it but got it as one of your C&A gifts, and it doesn't matter if you don't live in Texas but are only passing through.  You are still required to pay the Texas tax on your bottles.

We live in Oklahoma and have relatives in Texas.  I guess we are officially "bootleggers" because we always bring some brands that we can get here and family members can't buy in Texas when we travel for visits.  So far there is no alcohol inspection station to collect Texas tax at the border on I-35!:classic_biggrin:

Edited by foxgoodrich

On BBQ in Texas, you can't go too wrong.   The absolute worst I've had in Texas is an 8.5 on a 10 scale.  A huge chain is likelier to be in 8.5 range and an independent in the 9.5 range.   But awesome regardless.   

I recommend ordering Moist Brisket with burnt ends if it is an option.  

• Like 1

Do not go to a chain BBQ place in TX. Find a hole in the wall BBQ joint. You should smell the meat smoking at least 2 blocks away. The good places are in a neighborhood not a strip mall. Ask the people at the gas station where do they get their BBQ.