Allure of the Seas arrives a day early in Galveston TX

footzz

29 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Anyone familiar with Houston.  Looking for recommendations gor good BBQ fir dinner tonight. 

Houston is a sprawling metropolis with lots of choices. You may want to narrow your search down to a general location.

17 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Oops.  George Bush. 

Either of these BBQ joints are relatively close to GB International. J.B's or Grubbs. FYI: These are not sit down restaurants, but are both the real deal. A decent sit down restaurant close by is Pappas BBQ.

Edited by footzz

2 hours ago, footzz said:

The extra day should give them ample time to stock the bars!

You should actually hope the bars are already stocked from a port outside of Texas!  Due to Texas' unique liquor laws, only certain brands can be sold in Texas or consumed in Texas waters (inside the 12 mile limit.)

This is nothing new, so hopefully Royal planned ahead and saw to stocking the bars already!!

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, footzz said:

Either of these BBQ joints are relatively close to GB International. J.B's or Grubbs. FYI: These are not sit down restaurants, but are both the real deal. A decent sit down restaurant close by is Pappas BBQ.

Thanks.  Saw both J.B's and Pappas listed on many searches...just nice to see recommendations from others.  Never sure if some of those "best" searches are paid for placings. 

47 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanks.  Saw both J.B's and Pappas listed on many searches...just nice to see recommendations from others.  Never sure if some of those "best" searches are paid for placings. 

Pappas is a chain and is just ok.  These are some of the better ones north of Downtown.

Corkscrew - https://www.corkscreworders.com/

Gaitlin's - https://www.gatlinsbbq.com/

Pinkerton's - https://pinkertonsbarbecue.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxgoodrich said:

You should actually hope the bars are already stocked from a port outside of Texas!  Due to Texas' unique liquor laws, only certain brands can be sold in Texas or consumed in Texas waters (inside the 12 mile limit.)

This is nothing new, so hopefully Royal planned ahead and saw to stocking the bars already!!

Have a great cruise!

Texas liquor laws have nothing to do with stocking the bars.

They stock the bars on every ship there every week from Galveston area distributors. They stock the same brands that they stock from any other port. The selection of available brands in Texas is the same as any place else in the continental United States

Edited by not-enough-cruising

4 hours ago, BLiles1961 said:

We are packed and will be on her Sunday! I'm so ridiculously excited I can barely stand myself. Help me to be less insufferable. 🤣

Same here!  This pics bring tears to my eyes - and I'm not even kidding!  I don't kid about cruising.......

Allure will be a completely different class of ship for us.  Ready to do my embarkation day exploring!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

They stock the bars on every ship there every week from Galveston area distributors. They stock the same brands that they stock from any other port. The selection of available brands in Texas is the same as any place else in the continental United States

Ahhh...I was told differently!  I'm glad to know that things have changed in terms of supplying the ship at least, even though the bar service is still limited to only certain brands of liquor, wine, and beer until outside the 12 mile limit.  (As of our last cruise from Galveston in September anyway!)  Even our D+ wine gift selection cannot be delivered to our room until past the 12 mile limit as it's a brand not sold in Texas nor purchased in Texas.

One of the officers on Voyager (Food/Bev Manager?  I forget his exact title.) at a Captains Corner Q&A several years ago responded to a question about the limited bar selections in Texas waters, and he spoke about the legal restrictions.    Only liquor/beer/wine purchased in Texas could be served in Texas, so only limited supplies were purchased by Royal from Galveston distributors.  Once outside the 12 mile limit, all brands were available at bars.  Most of the alcohol aboard was purchased duty free from other ports that didn't have such restrictions. 

Good to know that things have changed!  Maybe on our next cruise out of Galveston, we'll actually get our wine on Day 1!  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by foxgoodrich

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Yes and no.  The cruise ships stock there bars the same as they do at any other port except for one key difference.  While in Texas waters the Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission forces the cruise lines to sell liquor from only Texas distributors.  That is why there is a limited menu for RCI on the first day until they get into international waters. 

Its also why Carnival will not allow you to use their drink package on the first day.  RCI eats the extra cost to give out drinks in Texas waters but Carnival does not.  

Edited by Liljo22

3 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

Yes and no.  The cruise ships stock there bars the same as they do at any other port except for one key difference.  While in Texas waters the Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission forces the cruise lines to sell liquor from only Texas distributors.  That is why there is a limited menu for RCI on the first day until they get into international waters. 

Its also why Carnival will not allow you to use their drink package on the first day.  RCI eats the extra cost to give out drinks in Texas waters but Carnival does not.  

It had nothing to do with Texas distributorships. They buy all the alcohol for the whole ship and the whole journey from one distributor. 
The reason there is a limited menu while in TX waters is because, by TX law, those drinks have to have had TX taxes paid on them. Royal chooses to purchase only a limited amount of taxes alcohol for this purpose; Carnival chooses to purchase none. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Oops.  George Bush. 

Hey, Ken! Welcome to Texas.
Too bad you’re way up there near IAH. Best BBQ toward Galveston is in Pearland, Killen’s Barbecue. 

Have a great time! Get those bartenders ready for us in February. 
Michelle 

41 minutes ago, ShellinTX said:

Hey, Ken! Welcome to Texas.
Too bad you’re way up there near IAH. Best BBQ toward Galveston is in Pearland, Killen’s Barbecue. 

Have a great time! Get those bartenders ready for us in February. 
Michelle 

Thanks Michelle.

We will be back in July and this time driving do we will have more options on where to stay.  We will do our best to give the bartenders a good workout.  

I couldn’t have any kind of a flavored martini except a lemon drop until we were out of Texas waters.  Since our last cruise left at 3 it was about 5 until I got what I wanted.  Wine was delivered that night to our cabin but I’ve had them wait until the next day.  

It’s not a big deal just a bit annoying.  They’ll have a short list at each bar of what you can have until they reach international water.  

• Like 1