Harmony of the Seas mini review October 30 - November 6

This was Harmony's last sailing from Port Canaveral this season, they moved to Fort Lauderdale on Monday.

I had never sailed from Port Canaveral before. There were many more people who drove from "the south" than when I had previously sailed from Fort Lauderdale and Miami.  Just an observation, they were out in force on College Football Saturday.

The ship was in good shape, although the seats in the Royal Theater are showing some age, not particularly new.  Not dirty, not worn fabric, just not as new as on other ships IMO.  Cleaning crew out in force throughout the day keeping floors relatively free from clutter.  

Entertainment was so-so, I thought the late evening piano player couldn't sing a lick and oven spoke rather than sang.  Nicole, a folk guitarist in the pub ... ugh.  Cruise director largely invisible though Activities person Gemma was out and about and charming.  We got into the comedy club without a reservation, one comic good, the other not.  Ice Show was nice, just don't expect a story that makes any sense.

Grease in the theater was well done and moved along, the cast was very good.  A show called Columbus was also offered - same cast, completely different show.  Goofy meandering show with familiar songs.  The set (a large ship) was impressive and they moved it around.  The orchestra was somewhere in the back and never seen except on tv screens at the end of the shows.  I would have preferred actually seeing them.

Waterslides and the Great Abyss were great fun.  The pool deck was packed on sea days - we had excellent weather, it rained in St. Thomas but otherwise we couldn't have done much better.  Some rough seas - our final sea day turned the pools into wave pools, I enjoyed it.  Hot tubs were rarely overcrowded.  Short lines for the zip line and waverider, neither of which we tried.

We had the wifi for two days, it worked fine (surf only).

We got the four free drinks per day, it was occasionally difficult to keep track but bar staff was good with updating us before we bought.  The new receipt system will help in that sense and slow things down more often.

The MDR was a problem spot for us.  We had my time dining, and even with reservations the first night was a nightmare with a mob waiting to get in, lines out the entranceway through and around the elevators.  Then on lobster night a similar mob.  They really should limit the number as we were near a table where one person took 10 and another 8.  Worse gluttony than when they put fresh bacon out in the Windjammer.  I am generally good with the menu, but it was exactly the same as an earlier cruise, combined with lackluster waiters, nothing special.  My expectations will be lower going forward.  

We did breakfasts in the Windjammer at first, tried the Solarium Bistro (less chaotic), MDR (too slow), and then Johnny Rockets - probably the best though service could be inconsistent.  If you want a made to order omelet, good luck, try the MDR.

We took a late disembarking time which went well.  There was a mob the length of the promenade at 6am that morning, probably 4 people across.  I guess that it was from the number of people driving home trying to get out early.  Elevators were impossible and people with scooters waited a LONG time.  I hope they dedicate at least one or two elevators for them in the future, it's ridiculous (I am not one of those people).  Lots of the people who barge onto elevators as soon as the doors open and before people can get off.

We rented a car from Avis, not far away, but the pick up shuttle was ridiculous and rather than wait up to 45 minutes, we paid about $20 for an Uber (four of us).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We are on the Harmony Jan 7, 2023. 

1st timers!!!!  Any suggestions...what to do and what not to do?

Activities, game shows, bingo, music?? Also, we are used to the dress code on NCL...can women wear capri pants in dining room for dinner?? And formal nights..we are not used to...sooo how formal? Or can women just wear slacks and blouse?  Not sure about a lot of things on Royal, so any info will help us . Thank you.

Any help is appreciated. 🤗

Edited by FlGoodShips

You can find some help if you join us on the Roll Call for Harmony 1/7/23. The Formal nights are not really formal anymore, you can wear just about anything. You might want to download RCCL app to answer most of your questions.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FlGoodShips said:

We are on the Harmony Jan 7, 2023. 

1st timers!!!!  Any suggestions...what to do and what not to do?

Activities, game shows, bingo, music?? Also, we are used to the dress code on NCL...can women wear capri pants in dining room for dinner?? And formal nights..we are not used to...sooo how formal? Or can women just wear slacks and blouse?  Not sure about a lot of things on Royal, so any info will help us . Thank you.

Any help is appreciated. 🤗

My first recommendation would be to watch videos online of Harmony. There are lots of good videos available (I won’t say where to avoid getting in trouble). I would suggest attending similar activities you have enjoyed on other cruise lines. As for formal nights, there really isn’t a dress code that is enforced for the MDR or speciality restaurants. Like someone else suggested, definitely download the RCI app.

Just an FYI, the name of the cruise line is Royal Caribbean International. A lot of posters on this site who are likely relatively new to Royal incorrectly call the cruise line Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

My first recommendation would be to watch videos online of Harmony. There are lots of good videos available (I won’t say where to avoid getting in trouble). I would suggest attending similar activities you have enjoyed on other cruise lines. As for formal nights, there really isn’t a dress code that is enforced for the MDR or speciality restaurants. Like someone else suggested, definitely download the RCI app.

Just an FYI, the name of the cruise line is Royal Caribbean International. A lot of posters on this site who are likely relatively new to Royal incorrectly call the cruise line Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. 

Thank you sooo much for this info. I appreciate it.

14 hours ago, jsf said:

You can find some help if you join us on the Roll Call for Harmony 1/7/23. The Formal nights are not really formal anymore, you can wear just about anything. You might want to download RCCL app to answer most of your questions.

Thank you. I did find the roll call and asked to be added to the list for the social meet.

On the same cruise: 

Port Canaveral got it together. Getting on and off was a breeze. Good directional signage and staff giving directions. We were on the first bus from MCO but didn’t arrive at the terminal until after noon so no need to get an early checkin time. Although it appeared no one was checking anyway. 

Aqua and Ice shows were excellent. Grease was just okay. Agree on piano player and pub singer, pretty mediocre. Always enjoyed the karaoke in OnAir. 

Ate in MDR 3 nights with MTD. Never had an issue getting in at 7:30, waited only 5min on Lobster night. There were no lines the other 2 nights. Went to 150, Chops and Jamie’s. 150 was really good, chops was good, Jamie’s just okay. Had dinner in WJ one night and lunches most days, was okay. Liked JRs for breakfast. 

We loved CocoCay! Stayed aboard and enjoyed the ship at St. Thomas. St Kitts did a catamaran excursion, that was really fun. The beach they took us to was no beach. About 4 feet of steep sand and rocky at the water. 

The ship rolled more than usual for such a large vessel. The “wave” pool was fun on the last day. It was sloshing about 3 feet back and forth. 

Favorite drinks, mudslide and frozen mojito. Coke cups not in our room, had to get them at a kiosk in the promenade. 

Weather was great! To us the ship never seemed crowded.  No flight delays!

• Like 1