LHR Connection Questions

pappy1022

I am flying from Dallas to London Heathrow (LHR) to Copenhagen via Regent Air so we will be in business class to London. There are a couple of options I am looking at. American Airlines (AA) comes into LHR in terminal 3 and the the connecting flight to Copenhagen leaves in terminal 5. The BA flight comes into terminal 5 and the connecting flight to Copenhagen is also in terminal 5. If we need to change terminals do we need to go through customs and immigration and then back through security when we get to terminal 3? Does the checked luggage automatically get transferred or do we have to claim it at LHR and the recheck it?  If our incoming and connecting flights are both in terminal 5, is the process any different? 

T5 to T5 is about 30-45 minutes quicker than T3 to T5 connection.

Either one requires going thru transit security, but the T3 to T5 adds a bus ride.

You do not have to go thru immigration in either case.

I would allow 90 mins for T5-T5 and 120 mins T3-T5 (personal comfort zone for a connection)

Edited by Nachosdelux

13 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

Does the checked luggage automatically get transferred or do we have to claim it at LHR and the recheck it?  If our incoming and connecting flights are both in terminal 5, is the process any different? 

For the BA to BA connection, no--the bags should be checked through.  The AA to BA connection will also likely be checked through as they are both members of the One World alliance.  (There might even be a code share arrangement.  If you are on a non-partner airline--like Virgin Atlantic--you MIGHT have to claim the bags and recheck.  I'll find out about this scenario in May 2023.)  Since you are in transit and the UK is no longer part of Schengen, you shouldn't need to clear Customs at LHR so no need to claim the bags and recheck.

Thank you all for the clear explanations. Do you know if Regent has contracts with AA or BA from Dallas through London to Copenhagen? I guess I should investigate a first leg domestic flight to a city like NY or Chicago that has direct flights to Copenhagen. Thoughts on that idea? Pros and cons?

1 hour ago, pappy1022 said:

Thank you all for the clear explanations. Do you know if Regent has contracts with AA or BA from Dallas through London to Copenhagen? I guess I should investigate a first leg domestic flight to a city like NY or Chicago that has direct flights to Copenhagen. Thoughts on that idea? Pros and cons?

Last summer Regent booked us on a nonstop Delta flight, Copenhagen to Atlanta. Regent has frequently booked us on American nonstops, when available, from Charlotte. I think there’s a good chance, if a nonstop exists from Dallas to Copenhagen, you could request from Regent. Probably would have to pay deviation.

Personally I would avoid Heathrow if you can 😜 whilst the mountains of lost luggage are apparently not too bad, there is a bit of a reputation for people and bags not making the same connection. We are in the UK so flying down the night before into HR then rechecking the bags for the flight across the pond and doing the connection on the way back.

We just traveled from Miami to Glasgow via LHR.  And as Techno123 suggests, there is indeed a mountain of luggage which did not make the connections chosen.  We chose to ship our luggage in advance to Glasgow (and it was in our hotel room when we arrived).  Some others in our tour group lost their luggage in LHR.  My suggestion is avoid LHR if you can or ship your luggage in advance.  Luggage Free is the carrier we chose.

8 hours ago, rcandkc said:

In July they were everywhere…sea of luggage…I’m sure better now. I hope! 

None to be seen on any of the five occasions we've been in the arrivals hall  (both T5 and T2)  during the last two months at least.

6 hours ago, diebroke said:

Relatives just flew back to the U.S. from a Regent cruise with a 1 hr. 15 min. connection at LHR Term 5 booked by Regent. They made the flight. 2 of their 3 bags did not.

As should be expected at lhr .   Sad to say.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:51 AM, Techno123 said:

Personally I would avoid Heathrow if you can

My thoughts exactly!  Unless London is our final destination we'll do anything to avoid flying through LHR.

Google Flights shows many 1-stop itineraries from DFW → CPH that do not include LHR.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 5:30 AM, pappy1022 said:

...Do you know if Regent has contracts with AA or BA from Dallas through London to Copenhagen? ...

Our recent Regent flights (from LAX to Barcelona, Rome to LAX) were on AA.   American does seem to be one of Regent's contracted carriers at the moment.  As is frequently mentioned, it will all depend on availability of contracted seats.

13 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

Our recent Regent flights (from LAX to Barcelona, Rome to LAX) were on AA.   American does seem to be one of Regent's contracted carriers at the moment.  As is frequently mentioned, it will all depend on availability of contracted seats.

Might want to look at Finnair it is also one world cph-hel-dfw

• Like 1