Insurance question - insure my deposit?

surgie

I booked a 2024 Alaskan family cruise through a TA. 4 cabins for 11 people and I am paying for the cabins. I have until next week to pay our deposit. Otherwise I'll need to let the cruise go if we aren't 100% sure since the non-refundable deposit is $2750. 

My question is, since I'd prefer to keep the cabins we reserved and wait until a bit closer to the sailing date to make a final commitment (like July 2023 which would be a year out), is there any kind of CFAR insurance I can get to cover the deposit? The agent said her agency and RCCL only offer cancellation for medical reasons. Thanks for info.

Unless you're booking suites, or your travel agent has their own non-refundable deposit rule, then you can choose between a non-refundable rate (which gives you a discount on the total cruise fare), or a refundable rate (which will be more expensive, but gives you a lot more security in the flexibility of your booking).

If you want independent insurance, you can buy a private insurance plan (check out insure my trip dot com for options). Check the box for "cancel for any reason" in order to be given policy options that include that option. Be aware though, you generally only receive 75% of your non-refundable expenses, so you'll still lose part of the deposit if you cancelled and then made an insurance claim. 

The Trip Insurance Store is another source.

Or check with you home/car insurance company.  I am with USAA and they have a special portal to Travel Insured with different options and better rates.

• Like 2