Sky Princess a food lover’s journey

Mittens101

6 hours ago, Mittens101 said:

To give them the initial benefit of the doubt it was absolutely packed. Toward the hour and a half mark even RM got irritated and he’s not that kind of guy. In the end there was no excuse we just said forget it we now know not to go during rush hour. There’s not enough staff for serving, it’s not like it used to be. From what I’ve been told it’s that way across the industry. Tonight is sabatinis. Hoping service will be better. By no means do I blame the crew they are working very hard. I blame the upper crust. 

We're on board with you. Last night/embarkation day, we ate at Sabatini's. We even remembered Luigi the Maitre'd from the last time we sailed her a year ago.  Service was very friendly and typically excellent, but extremely slow. We sat down at 5:30 and didn't leave until around 8PM, so missed the first theater show.  When the courses did arrive, they were generally luke warm to cool, so had been sitting waiting to be delivered by the waiter for much longer than necessary. On the plus side, the problem we had on the Enchanted two months ago, sparse availability of the better wines, may have been fixed on the Sky. Every higher priced wine we ordered was delivered, actually quite quickly, faster than the meals were.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

We're on board with you. Last night/embarkation day, we ate at Sabatini's. We even remembered Luigi the Maitre'd from the last time we sailed her a year ago.  Service was very friendly and typically excellent, but extremely slow. We sat down at 5:30 and didn't leave until around 8PM, so missed the first theater show.  When the courses did arrive, they were generally luke warm to cool, so had been sitting waiting to be delivered by the waiter for much longer than necessary. On the plus side, the problem we had on the Enchanted two months ago, sparse availability of the better wines, may have been fixed on the Sky. Every higher priced wine we ordered was delivered, actually quite quickly, faster than the meals were.

Thank you hopefully tonight will go better for both of us. I keep telling my hubby we are on vacation so we are not on a fixed schedule 

Edited by Mittens101
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mittens101 said:

Thank you hopefully tonight will go better for both of us. I keep telling my hubby we are on vacation so we are not on a fixed schedule 

It's such a shame, as the staff there are absolutely topnotch, wonderfully helpful and friendly, but they must be very short-staffed, hence the delays.  We're back there in a few days, and I if it is as difficult as last night, I may have a chat with Luigi. He's omnipresent all night, stopping by everyone's table, and while I'm sure he is very well aware of the slow service, it may be worth a quiet mention to him. We really didn't mind the slowness, but it clearly affected the food presentation with most dishes arriving less than warm. By all means, please report back as to your experience tonight and let us know how it went

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mittens101 said:

Yes it’s typically when a lot of cruisers are crawling to their cabins or some of us insomniacs are exploring the ship looking for lattes and first breakfast lol

I'll be right behind you at the IC in the morning waiting for the pastries to arrive. 😄

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Mittens101 said:

We are off on Sky Princess today. We arrived at the port around 11:40 am and we were on board by 11:54 am.  We started off at the International Cafe to see if anything caught our fancy, then made our way to the buffet.  Our final food challenge before sale away was on to test the new Medallion food options. My favorite part of the food journey so far has been a section in the buffet dedicated to vegan and vegetarian options. The tikka marsala was quite tasty. More posting later but here’s some photos if you love food.

Tikka Marsala?  That sounds like Indian-Italian fusion cuisine.

My apologies, but I couldn't resist.

I am, in fact, enjoying your reports very much.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is a fabulous thread!  I leave tomorrow on the Discovery, so I'm ready for food pics!  For the first time, we are doing Club Class, so I hope to avoid the problems you've had.  I hope we have that same MDR menu because I love the pork tenderloin they do on Princess (all versions) and DH will be all over that seafood stew.

You are everybody's favorite poster today!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mittens101 said:

Pre princess cays snack. The chips and guac are for DW and MW. 

554F628C-5317-409B-8AAB-022F335FDD80.jpeg

C8DC4CE0-7709-42A1-AABE-0643A376649E.jpeg

8288C070-92DB-40EF-A2A8-85E962B4E267.jpeg

2701B4B6-91C7-49A3-B330-1339E5438498.jpeg

Was this ordered by room service / ocean now? If so how long did it take to receive your order. I always test out and play the game of how long it takes I've had it delivered instantly and then most times it will be like an hour hour and a half wait for food at least. Just curious, as I'm onboard the sky next weekend.

27 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Was this ordered by room service / ocean now? If so how long did it take to receive your order. I always test out and play the game of how long it takes I've had it delivered instantly and then most times it will be like an hour hour and a half wait for food at least. Just curious, as I'm onboard the sky next weekend.

It was a busy day so about a half hour

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Tikka Marsala?  That sounds like Indian-Italian fusion cuisine.

Probably the most common Indian meal in the UK !

And available as a ready meal, or as a cook in sauce everywhere.

I imagine the chefs on board just use a prepared sauce ( like we do!) 

3 hours ago, geomapper said:

We’re on the Sky in 2 weeks.  Interested in any tips or recommendations, particularly food or beverage related. 
Thanks. 

I highly  recommend sabatinis. If you are a meat eater crown grill. The buffet has tons of options. There’s lots of activities and a ton of people. Live music is great. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

The little joke is that there was a misspelling, "marsala" and not "masala."  Chicken Marsala is an Italian dish.  Chicken tikka masala is Indian, though I had a pub keeper in Leicestershire tell me it was invented in English pubs and wasn't Indian at all.  Who knows?  I just know I love the stuff and that's about all I will order when I'm in Leicestershire. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kay S said:

The little joke is that there was a misspelling, "marsala" and not "masala."  Chicken Marsala is an Italian dish.  Chicken tikka masala is Indian, though I had a pub keeper in Leicestershire tell me it was invented in English pubs and wasn't Indian at all.  Who knows?  I just know I love the stuff and that's about all I will order when I'm in Leicestershire. 

Darn autocorrect lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Kay S said:

Not sure about being invented in pubs, but certainly not an authentic Indian dish. 

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

For clarification Chicken tikka Masala is the most common Indian meal in the U.K. It is Indian cuisine but was created in the U.K. Marsala is a wine from Italy often used in cooking. 

8 hours ago, JenT412 said:

Thank you for all for the food updates and pics. We go on the sky next week.  What did you order from sabatinis?

I ordered mushroom risotto, cheese fondue, the appetizer of the house without the meat, burrata cheese and tomatoes and for dessert we both ordered the  rocher. RM ordered the appetizer of the house with the meat, escarole and celery salad, seafood linguine, lime and rosemary chicken scaloppine. RM is a true meat and potatoes person.  He ordered the salad because I wanted to try it. It had pears and an orange punch to it. He ended up eating it all and I never got to sample. He said it was delicious and I wouldn’t like it lol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alcairns said:

For clarification Chicken tikka Masala is the most common Indian meal in the U.K. It is Indian cuisine but was created in the U.K. Marsala is a wine from Italy often used in cooking. 

I make vegan curry and tikka m quite often but this beat mine out of the water. If it is a jarred sauce I need to get my hands on it. 

It’s a helluva day at see sir.  A rainbow and vegetarian biscuits and gravy who could ask for more? I had a plate full with a biscuit swimming in gravy. I rarely get gravy so this was a huge treat not to mention the view was exceptional. RM even tried a blueberry smoothie. He is finally back in the swing of things eating two plates with a ton of bacon. I was a bit worried our first day. He just wasn’t his normal cruising self. Now it’s full stream ahead. I’ve also switched to almond milk for my cappuccino. 14C9BF67-2D97-49F8-8817-8B9867D7F0E0.thumb.jpeg.ffd7680c8f76441b65940aeaefca2fb2.jpeg

CE0F5450-48A2-4807-9818-573953115697.jpeg

F48D812F-F97D-4C32-8726-AE9906AE773D.jpeg

4EA1DA0B-CCC4-453A-8DB6-7895B64D98DA.jpeg

02D943C9-8475-47E0-AC16-FFD48894DA20.jpeg

D979DA53-3569-4E4B-86D4-E5A37C5D3A90.jpeg

32AA7EB4-5D87-4BEA-9E66-86F4D0B92073.jpeg

18CE9750-1B62-4719-832F-BEDEAD32C52D.jpeg

D01639E1-E7C4-45E2-8A39-A547AB3AF6D9.jpeg

7F46750B-3EBA-4F5D-AEE0-1C197148AC2D.jpeg

0B6B7576-8E3B-4198-ABF5-5F5B79B8A1B6.jpeg

Edited by Mittens101
  • Like 4

The meal at Sabatinis looks so delicious.  I may have missed it in your post - what was your dessert?  It is beautifully displayed and looks very tasty.   Loved the rainbow picture.  Keep the photos coming.

• Like 2