NCL Alaska solo cruise

donnas902

Planning Alaskan cruise and I am loyal to NCL. For those of you who have cruised  NCL in Alaska, which ship would be best suited for a solo traveler. I will most likely book an inside as the balcony is cost prohibitive as a solo.

thank you in advance.

Alaska is the Bliss, Spirit, Sun Jewel, or Encore.  Bliss and Encore have the Studio cabins, but more important would be the itinerary.  The smaller ships might have some stops that the Bliss and Encore can't reach.

I always travel solo.     You can find deals on balcony’s.    Sometimes you have to break loyalty and cruise other lines.            
I did a week in alaska in august.  1200.00 on princess new ship discovery.  Was an amazing trip.      
I also booked a week in Bahamas on msc 855.00 balcony with 200 OBC.  

I’ve cruised the Joy in alaska in the past.   
get to go on the joy again in 55 days in Panama.    

Edited by Cruise5life

I have done solo cruises to Alaska on the Pearl and the Jewel many times.  I always book an inside cabin.  Works fine for me.

The question would be is it easier for you to do a roundtrip cruise or a one way cruise.  The Encore and the Bliss leave and return to Seattle.  Some Sun cruises will also be roundtrip.  The Bliss leaves and returns on a Saturday.  The Encore on Sundays.  The Sun's cruises will vary in length.  Both the Jewel and the Spirit will sail out of Vancouver, British Columbia.  The Spirit will sail to Valdez, Alaska (a new port of NCL) and the Jewel to Seward, Alaska.

Whatever cruise you do, you will have a wonderful time.

22 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Encore...for no other reason than it has the Observation Lounge, which is perfect for viewing Alaska.  Especially true if you are in an inside cabin.

The Sun and Bliss have forward Observation Lounges.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Encore...for no other reason than it has the Observation Lounge, which is perfect for viewing Alaska.  Especially true if you are in an inside cabin.

True, the Bliss (and Encore) were built FOR Alaska with the gorgeous OL taking up 1/3 of deck 15.

• Like 1

I’ve booked to sail on the Bliss next October, the itinerary is a bit limited with quite short stops at Ketchikan(ward cove) and Victoria. But it’s the best option for me due to work commitments. 
I picked Bliss rather than Encore because I’m not happy about NCL lessening the free areas on the ship, bliss has the karting track but encore has also ripped out spice in favour of a laser tag course. (Yes I know spice is likely to be unused in October, it’s the principle of the thing). As I’m travelling solo bliss was also the cheapest round-trip option. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep.  Don't the jewel and spirit also have observation lounges?

Yes, both like the new ships have.  Thier lounges are multi-purpose-- dances, Bingo, large receptions.  The Encore and the Bliss (except for a small space for a piano), have much more comfortable seating and meant to relax and watch the world go by.

9 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Yes, both like the new ships have.  Thier lounges are multi-purpose-- dances, Bingo, large receptions.  The Encore and the Bliss (except for a small space for a piano), have much more comfortable seating and meant to relax and watch the world go by.

I agree.  We've sailed the Pearl a couple times to AK.  On one cruise, we were thoroughly enjoying the scenery leaving Glacier Bay and they started some stupid game show thing.  They lowered the shades to improve lighting, promptly blocking most of the view of the bay for those of us who were more interested in AK scenery than some CD's idea of "fun."   It took two requests at the control booth to get them to raise the shades enough so that all could enjoy themselves.  To your point, Breakaway Plus OLs (Encore, Joy, Bliss) are the way to go if we have a choice.

Ships that leave from Vancouver (this coming summer it will be the Jewel and the Spirit) have way better itineraries if you can do two weeks.  The port times are much better than the cruises leaving from Seattle where they do up and back in 7 days.

if you want the Alaska experience, cruise out of Vancouver.

If you want the beautiful, amazing ship experience, choose the Encore or the Bliss out of Seattle.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 2

Went on the Jewel for two weeks in May and loved the small size of the ship.  We did all our viewing the Spinnaker Lounge.  I loved it! We loved the size of the ship, met lovely people, got a great deal, so we sprung for the thermal spa pass for a week.  Had amazing meals, met up with wonderful people from our cruise critic meet and mingle and also met many solo cruisers through trivia and other games on board.  I would personally would opt for this over a larger ship, just seemed more intimate to me.  

20220508_090428.jpg

• Like 1

I've been considering Alaska or Mexican Riviera as those are the places I haven't been to yet. Had Mexican Riviera booked for April of next year but had to cancel.

This thread was informative, so I think I'll probably do Alaska. I wouldn't be able to do two weeks so it looks like I'd be limited to Bliss or Encore. What's the best time to go to Alaska?

5 minutes ago, cb2367 said:

I've been considering Alaska or Mexican Riviera as those are the places I haven't been to yet. Had Mexican Riviera booked for April of next year but had to cancel.

This thread was informative, so I think I'll probably do Alaska. I wouldn't be able to do two weeks so it looks like I'd be limited to Bliss or Encore. What's the best time to go to Alaska?

As early in the Season as possible.  Hopefully there will be lots of snow in the mountains and the glacier ice wil be white with a slight tint of blue along the edges.

I try to go either before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 9:19 PM, cb2367 said:

Just a thought - DH and I can't do 2 weeks either, so we are booked on the Jewel one way from Seward to Vancouver.   So, there is another option - Jewel goes back and forth on alternate weeks.