Boarding Process

Just got off The Beyond (Celebrity) and the boarding process did not go off as advertised so I'm looking to get our expectations set for our Odyssey.  When we boarded we Qued up at our time , boarded the terminal, went thru security then check in with picture and health questions.  It took maybe 15 min (max)  but instead of getting straight  on the ship they had us sit and wait for almost an hour .....any thoughts on Royal current process ?

47 minutes ago, Harrisonkid said:

Just got off The Beyond (Celebrity) and the boarding process did not go off as advertised so I'm looking to get our expectations set for our Odyssey.  When we boarded we Qued up at our time , boarded the terminal, went thru security then check in with picture and health questions.  It took maybe 15 min (max)  but instead of getting straight  on the ship they had us sit and wait for almost an hour .....any thoughts on Royal current process ?

Morning,

What was your assigned check in time/quad up time? Also, what did they say was the reason for waiting/sitting in the terminal for an hour before boarding?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Harrisonkid said:

I have my picture and health questions already taken care of on the app so we literally just basically walk onto the ship.  It is very efficient these days.  

Based on my experience, if you get the earliest check-in appointment you will likely spend some time sitting in the terminal before they start boarding the ship. On my last several cruises I have picked a 12:00 PM check-in time. On everyone of these cruises I have literally walked non stop from the parking garage to the ship, except for stopping to have documents checked and going thru security at the terminal. 

• Like 1

Royal typically starts check in at 1030 am.   we do as much as we can on their app and our check in times have been a couples for all our sailings this year.

Cabins are usually ready around 1 or 130 pm

We usually like to check in around 1 pm so we can to our cabin and drop off our backpacks with laptop, etc.

Yes, there can be delays for early arrivals...especially if the ship is going thru a routine inspection by Coast Guard.

As soon as you board go right to your muster station to do check in there.  You can watch the required video on the app.

Last week on Oasis, there was a drunk lady that was refusing to get off the ship.  The back-to-back cruisers had to stand in the terminal for an hour waiting for her to finally leave (the Guest Services Manager later told me that she thought they were going to have to call the police to physically pick her up and remove her from the premises!).  

They can't let new cruisers ON the ship until they get the old cruisers OFF the ship, so how long you have to sit and wait depends on how long the stragglers from the previous sailing take to finally debark. 

The week before when I first boarded Oasis, I literally never stopped from when I dropped off my luggage... into the terminal... up to Check-In... over through Security... up to boarding level.... and onto the ship.  I checked into my Muster Station and was sitting in the Schooner bar with my first drink before 10:45.

But this week, the back-to-back cruisers hadn't even gotten back on the ship yet by 10:45, let alone the new cruisers.  It all depends on the stragglers from the previous sailing.  

• Like 2

I've been on 10 cruises this year, including b2b, and I'd say only 2 of them were walk right on the ship.  There has been a significant increase in the number of passengers getting off and on these ships.

So, plan for the worst/hope for the best.  Take a book or download movies on a device. I take my 366 book Kindle library with me on my iphone, so I always have a book to read wherever I am.

• Like 1