Dining with teens?

I was wondering if the rule were a little more lax when it came to teens and the dress code for formal night.

Wait- I am just wondering- would a shirt and tie with nice slacks suffice? I just do not desire to go out and purchase a suit for growing 15 and 13 yo monsters...

If they are not allowed to enter that evening in nothing short of a suit- is there a problem with them dining unaccompanied in the Windjammer? I would of course ask the wine steward to impose a two drink limit. ;)

There would be no problem with them entering the dining room as you described and there would be no problem with them using the Windjammer unaccompanied.

Now, people may post various opinions on this thread but I just gave you the answers to your questions.

Shirt, tie, nice slacks, and shoes other than sneakers or sandals would be fine for teenage boys. I got my stepson to wear a suit when he was 11, but not when he was 13. My son was 18 on his first cruise, so was happy to wear a sport coat for formal might.

I agree with Ocean Boy. I was on the Adventure with my nephews and other teenagers in our group and slacks and a tie fit in nicely. In fact, it was great to see them in pants that didn't "sag" past their a***s.

Dan

I started a thread a few weeks ago called Teens in Jeans...asking if my DD could wear jeans (not with holes. designer jeans $$$ and a dressy top) to the dining room and all you know what broke loose...good luck you're very courageous.

Thanks threeofus, but I assumed (what a dangerous thing) that if they dressed in something a step above jeans w/a tie that they would just slide in as barely acceptable but exceeding the norm for other folks in the age group.

No fear they will not be sagging.

Now I have a little time to get out the cattle prods in an attempt to reintroduce table manners......:(

I was wondering if the rule were a little more lax when it came to teens and the dress code for formal night.

Wait- I am just wondering- would a shirt and tie with nice slacks suffice? I just do not desire to go out and purchase a suit for growing 15 and 13 yo monsters...

If they are not allowed to enter that evening in nothing short of a suit- is there a problem with them dining unaccompanied in the Windjammer? I would of course ask the wine steward to impose a two drink limit. ;)

If you are cruising during Spring Break, I'm sure the tendancy would be towards a liberal following of the dress rules, i.e., less people in actual formal wear. I plan on allowing my 10 and 13 year old to eat unaccompanied at the Windjammer. 15 & 13 would be fine. If you boys would have gray slacks and a blue blazer with a white shirt and tie, they would be perfect.

I don't see a problem with it as well. As long as the pants are hanging from their ankles and the pants are pressed. Put that with a nice shirt, tie, and I would say you're good to go. Last night I actually saw a teen wearing his pants so far below his waist... I really wanted to walk over to him and say "son, pull your pants off..."

D

for my 6 year old, I bought him dress pants, black (I think by Arrow), for $20.00, he has 2 button up shirts and a tie. He has black tie shoes for all nights, and khakis and polos for the others. I thought about the tuxes on e-bay, but decided this is fine. Kohls has some awsome sales, so you can get decent clothes reather inexpensively, and they would probably use them again at that ages for dances and such in middle school and high school. I know my 13 year old has the spring semi coming up (we would have called it the moving up dance), so I need to find her a decent dress!! That is so worse then dressing boys!!!

Thanks threeofus, but I assumed (what a dangerous thing) that if they dressed in something a step above jeans w/a tie that they would just slide in as barely acceptable but exceeding the norm for other folks in the age group.

No fear they will not be sagging.

Now I have a little time to get out the cattle prods in an attempt to reintroduce table manners......:(

Dear Stressing Dad:

Duct Tape. :D

I plan on bringing duct tape for the onboard experience.

However before boarding I need to attempt a manners indoctrination program that would make even old Uncle Joe Stalin sit up and toast me from Red Square. Heathens beware.

I plan on bringing duct tape for the onboard experience.

However before boarding I need to attempt a manners indoctrination program that would make even old Uncle Joe Stalin sit up and toast me from Red Square. Heathens beware.

Can I sign my son up for that as well... :)

I'm sailing on March 19th. Getting close! I'm looking forward to our formal nights. I have three sons, aged 17, 14, 11. It will be a treat to sit with them in a formal setting and pace them through the fine art of dining. Which fork to use? Which side is your water glass? What do you do with your napkin if you leave the table? Most of our family dining out is at Applebee's so this will be an educational moment!

Ahhhh, those crowded tables with all sorts of glasses, plates, and utensils! Here is a little tip to tell the teens. Make a circle with your thumb and three outside fingers on each hand, with the pointer finger sticking straight out. Your right hand will make a 'd' for drink, and your left hand will make a 'b' for bread.

At least they will know which water glass to grab and which bread/salad plate is theirs. :)

Have fun with your kids on the trip!!

Tracy

How about the girls? My 15 year old has some "sweet sixteen" dresses but only wears VERY short skirts. How are the girls dressed for informal nights?

Saw lots of girls in short skirts - one was with us. The 16 year old with us did wear formal clothes on formal nights - from her school dances - she looked great. I'd say more than half the girls her age dressed like her. On non-formal nights, it's more like nice crop pants and top, or those little short skirts. She wore jeans and a nice shirt the last night - did not look out of place.

We were just shopping for our upcoming Serenade cruise. I have to say that with the juniors' styles this year, shopping was a breeze. Those ethnic/bohemian ruffled skirts will be great for dinner as well as for wearing with a tank or t shirt for shore excursions or with a bathing suit

Ahhhh, those crowded tables with all sorts of glasses, plates, and utensils! Here is a little tip to tell the teens. Make a circle with your thumb and three outside fingers on each hand, with the pointer finger sticking straight out. Your right hand will make a 'd' for drink, and your left hand will make a 'b' for bread.

At least they will know which water glass to grab and which bread/salad plate is theirs. :)

Have fun with your kids on the trip!!

Tracy

There was a guy on my last cruise who could have used this also. He was constantly grabbing someone else's bread or water. Apparently it's not just the teens who need this tip.

Archived