Quickest way to get to LAX?

vacationlover_mn

I am one of those people who get nervous about missing flights, and usually try to get to the airport 3 hours before boarding.  Delta changed our flight home, to 11:50.  What is the quickest way to get to the airport? Uber?  Something else?

Note, we will get off the ship as fast as we can (carry off our bags).  And, since this is a special trip (25 anniversary:)), we are flying first class.  So, I’m assuming, we will have special shorter lines at the airport?

There are a large number of taxis at the port. That would have been are plan B if we couldn't get an Uber or Lyft quickly. We were off the ship by 8am (carried our bags) and got picked up by a Lyft driver 25 minutes later. Our flight was out of Long Beach at 11 am. It took about 35 minutes to get there. We also have TSA Pre.

I think you'll be okay, especially if you have TSA Pre.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

S]ince this is a special trip (25 anniversary:)), we are flying first class. So, I’m assuming, we will have special shorter lines at the airport?

Possibly. But Jeb Brooks, at Greener Grass, just posted a video about one week ago entitled "The TRUTH About FIRST CLASS in the USA." If you're not already used to traveling first class by domestic air carrier, you may come away a bit wide-eyed from Mr. Brooks' largely objective assessment. That said, given that LAX is a large station for Delta Air Lines, I would anticipate class segregation at check-in lines . . . but how many people will be on the presumably-shorter first class line?

(Disclosure: I gave up on commercial air travel over two decades ago, and so when I travel first class it is typically by railroad. One of the nice things about railroad travel, is that, generally and regardless of class of service, there are no lines to "check-in." Unless one is checking baggage--usually unnecessary--one can arrive at the station five minutes or less before departure time!)

Edited by GTJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GTJ said:

Possibly. But Jeb Brooks, at Greener Grass, just posted a video about one week ago entitled "The TRUTH About FIRST CLASS in the USA." If you're not already used to traveling first class by domestic air carrier, you may come away a bit wide-eyed from Mr. Brooks' largely objective assessment. That said, given that LAX is a large station for Delta Air Lines, I would anticipate class segregation at check-in lines . . . but how many people will be on the presumably-shorter first class line?

(Disclosure: I gave up on commercial air travel over two decades ago, and so when I travel first class it is typically by railroad. One of the nice things about railroad travel, is that, generally and regardless of class of service, there are no lines to "check-in." Unless one is checking baggage--usually unnecessary--one can arrive at the station five minutes or less before departure time!)

Thanks for sharing this video. We usually fly business or first class on DL but I must say I'm a real fan of DL ONE. Just did a couple of those this year. And luckily my May 2023 flight to HNL will be on the DL 767-300. I've gotten some amazing rates on my flights that makes it possible.

One of my best deals was my DL ONE LAX-AMS this past July..$3200.00 for the two of us...it certainly pays to stay up late and check OFTEN !!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

One of my best deals was my DL ONE LAX-AMS this past July..$3200.00 for the two of us...it certainly pays to stay up late and check OFTEN !!!!

Back when I was still flying, my best flight was not first class but regular coach on Midwest Express. The comfort and service provided was fabulous, and no other carrier could compare. (The airline is now gone, and the absence of such comfort and service, coupled with TSA security theatre, is the reason I no longer fly commercially.)

I've also stayed up late to check on good travel deals. I think my favorite story was being up late on a Sunday night (actually after midnight so early Monday morning), finding a good deal with Norwegian Cruise Line, 7 nights one-way from Québec to Boston for just over $200 each, and two days later, Wednesday morning, my wife and I are on the Amtrak train heading to Montréal. Stayed with friends in Montréal for two nights, and on Friday we're on Orléans Express to Québec for boarding the vessel. Nice itinerary (Saguenay Fjord, Sept-Îles, Charlottetown, Halifax, Portland). A week later we're in Boston and on the BoltBus back home . . . total of less than $1,000 for both of us, including cruise, railroad, and motorcoach, and meals off the vessel. Late night last minute travel can bring some good deals!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I am one of those people who get nervous about missing flights, and usually try to get to the airport 3 hours before boarding.  Delta changed our flight home, to 11:50.  What is the quickest way to get to the airport? Uber?  Something else?

Note, we will get off the ship as fast as we can (carry off our bags).  And, since this is a special trip (25 anniversary:)), we are flying first class.  So, I’m assuming, we will have special shorter lines at the airport?

We left a ship in San Pedro on October 1st.  The line for taxis was long, but since we were not in that line I can't provide a wait time.  We had arranged (through the Suite concierges) for a private car for transport to LAX.  Since the Suite concierges organized it I have no idea regarding the name of the company.  In any event, we were also in First Class on Delta.  You don't mention if you have TSA pre-check or not, but Delta has shorter lines for luggage drop off for first class, and also shorter lines for security clearance too for First Class.  The date we were there the security lines for long for those who were not in First Class nor had TSA pre-check.

LAX is not one of my favorite airports although we never have had serious problems.  However, if you are not familiar with the airport consider printing off a map of the facility.  I suspect the LAX website has one.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 4:37 PM, Northern Aurora said:

We left a ship in San Pedro on October 1st.  The line for taxis was long, but since we were not in that line I can't provide a wait time.  We had arranged (through the Suite concierges) for a private car for transport to LAX.  Since the Suite concierges organized it I have no idea regarding the name of the company.  In any event, we were also in First Class on Delta.  You don't mention if you have TSA pre-check or not, but Delta has shorter lines for luggage drop off for first class, and also shorter lines for security clearance too for First Class.  The date we were there the security lines for long for those who were not in First Class nor had TSA pre-check.

LAX is not one of my favorite airports although we never have had serious problems.  However, if you are not familiar with the airport consider printing off a map of the facility.  I suspect the LAX website has one.

Thx!  We will also have our concierge do this 🙂

On 11/20/2022 at 6:19 AM, vacationlover_mn said:

What is the quickest way to get to the airport? Uber?  Something else?

Have transport waiting for you, whether it is Uber or limo or ???

Do NOT count on a taxi being handy. When we disembarked in 2013 the line was LONG and SLOW. I can't imagine it has gotten better... The private transport was at a separate island with no line at all.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Do NOT count on a taxi being handy. When we disembarked in 2013 the line was LONG and SLOW.

When we disembarked in October and two weeks ago there was no issue getting a taxi quickly.

Maybe it is a function of exactly when you disembark.

• Like 1