Cruise Next OBC

MagnoliaBlossom

You will, by definition, use it.  It's applied against the cost of the certs themselves.  So you've spent $1000, the OBC reduces that to $500.  Important to note, if you have other NROBC, it will NOT apply against the remaining $500.  You'd need to spend that on something qualifying (DSC, as you noted, is not.  Neither are restaurant tips.)

Edited by phillygwm

I find the marketing of CN certs to be similar to the sleaziness of things like time shares.  This idea that you get $X OBC is just one example. It's total BS meant to entice the uninformed to buy something. They should just market it the way it is: 1 CN with face value $250 costs you $150.  2 CNs, each with face value $250 for total of $500, costs $250, etc.

On the Encore last week, I watched the future cruise presentation.  I thought the presentation was awful and that Cruise Next Manager shouldn't be doing marketing presentations (he spent way to much time talking about crazy long back to back itineraries like the masses really care to combine 5 segments into a 45 day cruise).  But one thing he was real good about was explaining exactly what you pay to get the CNs - He made it real simple - Buy 2 CNs, pay $250.  No BS about OBC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I find the marketing of CN certs to be similar to the sleaziness of things like time shares.  This idea that you get $X OBC is just one example. It's total BS meant to entice the uninformed to buy something. They should just market it the way it is: 1 CN with face value $250 costs you $150.  2 CNs, each with face value $250 for total of $500, costs $250, etc.

On the Encore last week, I watched the future cruise presentation.  I thought the presentation was awful and that Cruise Next Manager shouldn't be doing marketing presentations (he spent way to much time talking about crazy long back to back itineraries like the masses really care to combine 5 segments into a 45 day cruise).  But one thing he was real good about was explaining exactly what you pay to get the CNs - He made it real simple - Buy 2 CNs, pay $250.  No BS about OBC. 

I completely agree with you. Wish all Cruise Next mangers were like that one.  It really annoys how they sell this.  On my last cruise they were saying things like "I'll pay for your spa treatments"  in other words encouraging people to use the OBC rather than leave it so the cost of the CNs is reduced.

17 minutes ago, pinklady65 said:

I completely agree with you. Wish all Cruise Next mangers were like that one.  It really annoys how they sell this.  On my last cruise they were saying things like "I'll pay for your spa treatments"  in other words encouraging people to use the OBC rather than leave it so the cost of the CNs is reduced.

In other words, encouraging you to buy even more stuff on board.  It's gross. 

Yesterday I went to the desk and told the woman I want to purchase 2 CNs.  Instead of helping make that happen, she launched into a sales pitch for a special deal "today" if I bought 4 CNs and how I'd get $500 OBC.  I was so annoyed - I had to cut her off and ask her again to just process my request for 2 CNs.   I so badly wanted to walk away, but, that would only hurt me.

I’ve not purchased any CNs for several years, courtesy of COVID and it seemed much simpler then.  They could be used coward DSC so it was quite easy to use 2 certificates worth of OBC.  But, I’m a natural blonde so it takes me a bit longer to get some things.  

on a previous thread a poster said something that obviously isn’t correct, thus leading to my confusion.  Something to the effect that if you did not spend your, say $500, the remaining balance was applied against the $500 you paid for the certificates, reducing the cost to less than 500.  Wouldn’t that be swell? 🤑 

I agree that the quality of the CN consultants has tanked.  The Future Cruise Consultants always seemed to be nice, knowledgeable, and experienced people, but it seems like now they recruiter them from used car salesman school drop outs.  On the Star in August the two young people were wrong more often than they were right, rude, and very poor public speakers.  No one should have given these two juveniles a microphone.  Not to mention the daily phone calls to our cabin pushing the CNs 

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

on a previous thread a poster said something that obviously isn’t correct, thus leading to my confusion.  Something to the effect that if you did not spend your, say $500, the remaining balance was applied against the $500 you paid for the certificates, reducing the cost to less than 500

@julig22 has provided the simplest explanation.  Trying to justify the 'OBC' against other charges just doesn't make sense

So, let me see if I understand Cruise Next.

I buy $500 worth of Cruise Next.

Half that is applied to my on-board spending account.

The other half can be applied to a future cruise. It doesn't reduce the total cost of the cruise. It only pre-pays that cost.

I gain $500 in benefits but those benefits have cost me $500.

Why should I play this game?

@RocketMan275 not quite right.

Buy $500 in CruiseNext, this is two $250 certificates.  $500 is charged to your on-board account.  $250 is then credited back to your on-board account, but you keep all $500 to use for a future cruise.  Your net cost for $500 in credit to pay for future cruising is $250. You don't "spend" any of what you're buying right away.

The part that some people get hung up on is that the refund/rebate/whatever you want to call it is considered 'OBC', but it's then immediately used to offset the cost of the CND, it's not really available for use for other purchases.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

So, let me see if I understand Cruise Next.

I buy $500 worth of Cruise Next.

Half that is applied to my on-board spending account.

The other half can be applied to a future cruise. It doesn't reduce the total cost of the cruise. It only pre-pays that cost.

I gain $500 in benefits but those benefits have cost me $500.

Why should I play this game?

You buy $500 of cruise credits and they charge your account $250.

I think most people would see that as a saving.

• Like 2

I hate dealing with CN staff.  On my last cruise, I was going to get 2 Cruise Next certificates, so as you know, with OBC it would have been $500 value at a cost of $250.  The Cruise Next staff tried talking me into buying 2 certificates and getting 2 free certificates for FREE instead of getting any OBC - so $1000 value for $500.  I said I only needed 2 so I’d stick with the OBC.  But you can get 2 FREE, they said, why wouldn’t you want FREE certificates?  When I said both options worked out to be 2:1, they became rude and indignant - one says to the other - oh so we don’t know our job, SHE knows better than we do, maybe SHE should be working here instead of us.   Screw that, left without any CN.

Cruising again next week, I hope CN staff are better because I really would like to buy a couple of certificates, but won’t if they are pushy and rude.

12 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

I hate dealing with CN staff.  On my last cruise, I was going to get 2 Cruise Next certificates, so as you know, with OBC it would have been $500 value at a cost of $250.  The Cruise Next staff tried talking me into buying 2 certificates and getting 2 free certificates for FREE instead of getting any OBC - so $1000 value for $500.  I said I only needed 2 so I’d stick with the OBC.  But you can get 2 FREE, they said, why wouldn’t you want FREE certificates?  When I said both options worked out to be 2:1, they became rude and indignant - one says to the other - oh so we don’t know our job, SHE knows better than we do, maybe SHE should be working here instead of us.   Screw that, left without any CN.

Cruising again next week, I hope CN staff are better because I really would like to buy a couple of certificates, but won’t if they are pushy and rude.

Just complete a form and hand it in. Sometimes they even have a box you can post them in, but if not then just hand them to the staff when passing. I don’t recall ever discussing the vouchers with the cruisenext staff.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

i also had a similar experience last month on the joy when i handed in my form. they too gave me the weird talk of why you only xxx when you get yyy talk..very annoying. i know exactly what i need and i dont need any more

10 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I bought $1000 worth of Next Cruise and was charged $1000.

You either got 8 certificates or are conveniently ignoring the $500 in obc that you got, making the total amount charged to you account $500.

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

You buy $500 of cruise credits and they charge your account $250.

This is where words matter.  @KeithJennershould have said "the net charge to your account is $250"

26 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I bought $1000 worth of Next Cruise and was charged $1000.

Correct.

13 minutes ago, julig22 said:

You either got 8 certificates or are conveniently ignoring the $500 in obc that you got, making the total amount charged to you account $500.

@RocketMan275is correct, the charge was $1000.  Both posters failed to discuss the OBC portion of the transaction.

Another bonus for using CN is that it serves as your full deposit for the entire cabin in Categories through Balcony.  So you do not need to lay out the usual deposit amount, which is more than the $125 you were charged for the certificates.

ordinarily I just fill out the form so I need not speak to the arrogant twits in the CN office.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 1