New England Color Cruise

Ski Mom

Hello! I’m interested in taking a Fall Color cruise. I would like to include Boston and Maine and parts of New England. I was wondering if you could suggest the best itinerary for this. I have looked through some of the major cruise lines and most of them include at least one tender port which I’d like to avoid because even though I can stand and walk about 10 feet with a cane I do most my transport in a wheelchair. I have Multiple Sclerosis with limited mobility and it would be my husband and myself traveling. Two years ago I went on an Alaskan cruise and was so overwhelmed on where to start planning my trip. Thankfully the folks here were a wealth of information to me and I had a wonderful experience and trip of a lifetime and was wondering if you could help me again! Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me!

7 hours ago, Ski Mom said:

Hello! I’m interested in taking a Fall Color cruise. I would like to include Boston and Maine and parts of New England. I was wondering if you could suggest the best itinerary for this. I have looked through some of the major cruise lines and most of them include at least one tender port which I’d like to avoid because even though I can stand and walk about 10 feet with a cane I do most my transport in a wheelchair. I have Multiple Sclerosis with limited mobility and it would be my husband and myself traveling. Two years ago I went on an Alaskan cruise and was so overwhelmed on where to start planning my trip. Thankfully the folks here were a wealth of information to me and I had a wonderful experience and trip of a lifetime and was wondering if you could help me again! Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me!

Take a look at what holland America has to offer. I really enjoyed the cruises especially new England Canada

I also have MS and use a rollator for short distances and a folding manual wheelchair for longer walks.  We did this cruise on Royal Caribbean Anthem of the seas.  We had a tender port in Bar Harbor. We used a ferry type of boat that I rolled onto. Once on shore, there was a series of ramps to traverse, some steep. But we made it!  Since I was able to climb a few steps we were able do excursions that included a coach ride. 
Paula

The ramp at Bar Harbor after you get off the tender can be very tricky. At high tide, it's not too steep and therefore manageable. But at low tide it's very steep . The trick is to get there at high tide. It doesn't matter as much when you're returning because it's downhill.

On 11/20/2022 at 10:13 PM, Essiesmom said:

Depending on how much you have to spend…American Cruise Lines has very small ships and can dock most ports other have to tender.  They are a bit pricey.  EM

Thank you so much for this input! I will look into American cruise lines.

On 11/20/2022 at 10:13 PM, Essiesmom said:

Depending on how much you have to spend…American Cruise Lines has very small ships and can dock most ports other have to tender.  They are a bit pricey.  EM

Thank you so much for the information. I’m not familiar with that cruise line but love the idea of a smaller ship. I am definitely going to look into it!

On 11/20/2022 at 8:26 PM, sandrajean123 said:

Take a look at what holland America has to offer. I really enjoyed the cruises especially new England Canada

Thank you for the information ! I have heard great things about Holland America especially from people with disabilities.

On 11/20/2022 at 8:26 PM, sandrajean123 said:

On 11/21/2022 at 1:54 PM, RonPaula said:

I also have MS and use a rollator for short distances and a folding manual wheelchair for longer walks.  We did this cruise on Royal Caribbean Anthem of the seas.  We had a tender port in Bar Harbor. We used a ferry type of boat that I rolled onto. Once on shore, there was a series of ramps to traverse, some steep. But we made it!  Since I was able to climb a few steps we were able do excursions that included a coach ride. 
Paula

Thank you Paula that information helps a lot!

On 11/22/2022 at 1:49 AM, mets123 said:

The ramp at Bar Harbor after you get off the tender can be very tricky. At high tide, it's not too steep and therefore manageable. But at low tide it's very steep . The trick is to get there at high tide. It doesn't matter as much when you're returning because it's downhill.

Thank you for the information. I see bar Harbor is on most of the itineraries so I probably should just be prepared for just staying on he ship that day but thank you for your advice .

On 11/22/2022 at 10:12 AM, 1025cruise said:

Newport and Bar Harbor are tender ports. No way around that. Most autumn cruises stop at both ports (or at least did, who knows what the future brings with Bar Harbor's latest vote).

Thank you for your input . That information helps a lot.

5 hours ago, Ski Mom said:

Thank you so much for the information. I’m not familiar with that cruise line but love the idea of a smaller ship. I am definitely going to look into it!

I just downloaded a brochure from American cruise line. The idea of a smaller ship sounds wonderful! The only problem I foresee is they have very limited accessible staterooms . It looks like only one per ship. I’m going to call there for more information. Thanks again! This sounds like it would be perfect for me!

5 hours ago, Ski Mom said:

Thank you so much for the information. I’m not familiar with that cruise line but love the idea of a smaller ship. I am definitely going to look into it! I just downloaded a brochure! I love the idea of a smaller ship! I think this would be just what I  am looking for! Thanks again!

On 11/26/2022 at 9:05 AM, Ski Mom said:

Thanks again for your recommendation on ACL. I did speak to a representative at ACL and they do have an accessible cabin available . Do you happen to know if the buses they use for their tours that are included in the itinerary have lifts on them to accommodate a wheelchair?

17 minutes ago, 510picker said:

I’m interested in Bar Harbor accessibility too. We just book a July Holland America cruise out of Boston and I am a full-time wheelchair user. Bar Harbor is the only tender port and I’m wondering if it’s going to be possible. 

I'd plan on enjoying the day on the ship.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2022 at 9:05 AM, Ski Mom said:

Dear Essiesmom thank you so much for suggesting American Cruise Lines. I just booked a cruise with them  on the Snake River. Although pricey I like the idea of a smaller ship and think it will be a good fit for me.