Oversold GTY Oceanview Balcony

Dthorne1

What compensation are they offering if you accept the interior?

I have a Spring Break cruise booked on the Wonder, there was limited Balcony availability when I booked a few months ago, so I booked my adult daughters (23yr & 21yr) in a Neighborhood Balcony and an Oceanview (2D) Guarantee for my husband and I (OV was only available as Guarantee, there was no other option left).

My husband would probably love the idea of a refund + FCC, but I doubt that would apply to the other cabin in my reservation. Curious if that situation has come up.

Personally, I would accept the interior if I was getting a full refund (minus taxes and port fees).

Please keep us updated!

• Like 1

Well after about 4 hrs on the phone with the travel agent who was talking with RCCL we decided to take the 7 day cruise that leaves the same day except out of Miami. It messed up our flights and we had to pay $600 to change the flights to leave a day earlier. I feel like RCCL should have ponied up on that since this was their internal issue. The biggest issue I had was my daughter and nanny were booked with us and they had a guaranteed interior room confirmed on the 8 day cruise Royal was going to try and up charge me $400 to get them switched over to the 7 day cruise with us.  So Long story short at least we still get to cruise on the week we all have off.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Dthorne1 said:

Well after about 4 hrs on the phone with the travel agent who was talking with RCCL we decided to take the 7 day cruise that leaves the same day except out of Miami. It messed up our flights and we had to pay $600 to change the flights to leave a day earlier. I feel like RCCL should have ponied up on that since this was their internal issue. The biggest issue I had was my daughter and nanny were booked with us and they had a guaranteed interior room confirmed on the 8 day cruise Royal was going to try and up charge me $400 to get them switched over to the 7 day cruise with us.  So Long story short at least we still get to cruise on the week we all have off.

I would have taken the inside if they refunded my cruisefare, but I'm  not picky. Easier than changing 4 people to a different cruise a day earlier.

Well at least its resolved.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dada2199cc said:

Weird -- all my flights (even the ones I booked last week) have no change fees.

Is this a domestic ticket?  Did you book direct with AA or with a TA?

"we had to pay $600 to change the flights to leave a day earlier

The $600 may be a fare difference, not an actual change fee.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, pattak619 said:

Maybe I’m misunderstanding,but why would you have to pay taxes and port fees for a cruise that THEY cancelled!

THEY gave back a full refund on a cruise.

When a new cruise was booked for free, the guest still has to pay port fees and taxes on the room. But the cabin itself was free. Pretty good deal by me. 

• Like 3

With the second room, you would have thought that they'd have noticed that you had two rooms tied together.  Maybe they expected to have to have to switch both reservations for free, but were just hoping to get some extra money out of you.    

I am curious, when you subtract the extra airfare cost, how much are you saving by agreeing to completely change cruises?   Because I assume that only your cabin is free.  

19 hours ago, SG65CB said:

They are giving a 100% refund (including refunding taxes, fees, and cruise planner purchases).

On top of that they are giving a free cruise. If you take the free cruise you need to pay the port fees and taxes for that cruise. Not for the cruise that was canceled. 

Thank you for the clarification 

6 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

With the second room, you would have thought that they'd have noticed that you had two rooms tied together.  Maybe they expected to have to have to switch both reservations for free, but were just hoping to get some extra money out of you.    

I am curious, when you subtract the extra airfare cost, how much are you saving by agreeing to completely change cruises?   Because I assume that only your cabin is free.  

We didn’t save anything by switching. Wife did not want the interior room because we have a pack in play for our daughter so it just makes it really tight at night. We’ve kind of perfected her spot in a big ocean view balcony and happy wife happy life.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Dthorne1 said:

We didn’t save anything by switching. Wife did not want the interior room because we have a pack in play for our daughter so it just makes it really tight at night. We’ve kind of perfected her spot in a big ocean view balcony and happy wife happy life.

Happy wife happy life.

On 11/21/2022 at 4:27 PM, Biker19 said:

I assume the options will be similar/same.

Biker, who now expects a deluge of "I'm never booking GTY again" type posts.

We had OV guarantee for our upcoming jewel cruise NYE. Mine got assigned right away, Laura still shows guarantee😱

42 minutes ago, Dthorne1 said:

Wait a minute, your daughter sleeps in a pac n play on your balcony 🤔 

• Haha 1

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but Royal Caribbean does not guarantee you will receive the class of cabin you booked. I was just looking through the FAQ and it clearly says they can place you in any class of cabin at their discretion at any time right up until check in. I thought the same as the OP that you were guaranteed "at least" the class you booked. Apparently not. 

We never ever never ever book a guarantee because we want absolute control of where that cabin is going to be. I would recommend everyone at least purchase the next step up from the guarantee so at least you know you have a cabin assigned for the cruise. Especially for the busy times because we are back to 120 - 150% capacity sailings. 🙂 image.thumb.png.24935fb162a9f80ad28b842ff990a126.png

11 minutes ago, dada2199cc said:

I believe the terms you posted DO guarantee the class.

They don't guarantee the grade, number and location, tho.

If you book a guaranteed balcony, you'll get a balcony or an offer to switch sailings.  The GRADE of balcony is not guaranteed.  1A, 1C, 1D, 8D, 1E, etc. = category grade.

I almost always book guarantees, and I have always gotten equal or better and in the RARE occasion they couldn't get me into an equal or better, they made strong offers in my favor.

The "Grade" is the overall designation of a cabin. Not just within a category. All cabins on a ship are given a grade and when they say your 'grade is not guaranteed' they are saying they can move you into any 'grade' on the ship. 

16 minutes ago, dada2199cc said:

I believe the terms you posted DO guarantee the class.

They don't guarantee the grade, number and location, tho.

If you book a guaranteed balcony, you'll get a balcony or an offer to switch sailings.  The GRADE of balcony is not guaranteed.  1A, 1C, 1D, 8D, 1E, etc. = category grade.

I almost always book guarantees, and I have always gotten equal or better and in the RARE occasion they couldn't get me into an equal or better, they made strong offers in my favor.

I think they're being very clever in their terminology using "Cabin Type" above and then "Grade" down below. They can move you to any "Grade" and that does mean they can change your cabin level.

And then to see that secondary thread where the people are getting bumped off the Wonder. I don't know why anyone would book a Guarantee during busy times.

Edited by WheresWalter

18 minutes ago, dada2199cc said:

You're pulling this out of your backside.

The category type is Interior, Oceanview, Balcony, Suite.  Don't believe me?  Scroll back to your screenshot and read it out loud to yourself.

The grade of the category is the sub-category.

If you insist.. Honestly it's not worth arguing the point. Have a nice Thanksgiving. 

1 hour ago, WheresWalter said:

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but Royal Caribbean does not guarantee you will receive the class of cabin you booked. I was just looking through the FAQ and it clearly says they can place you in any class of cabin at their discretion at any time right up until check in. I thought the same as the OP that you were guaranteed "at least" the class you booked. Apparently not. 

We never ever never ever book a guarantee because we want absolute control of where that cabin is going to be. I would recommend everyone at least purchase the next step up from the guarantee so at least you know you have a cabin assigned for the cruise. Especially for the busy times because we are back to 120 - 150% capacity sailings. 🙂 image.thumb.png.24935fb162a9f80ad28b842ff990a126.png

Read it again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

We never ever never ever book a guarantee because we want absolute control of where that cabin is going to be.

Just realize that booking a fixed cabin does not exempt you from a very rare, but possible move.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2022 at 12:56 PM, WheresWalter said:

I think they're being very clever in their terminology using "Cabin Type" above and then "Grade" down below. They can move you to any "Grade" and that does mean they can change your cabin level.

And then to see that secondary thread where the people are getting bumped off the Wonder. I don't know why anyone would book a Guarantee during busy times.

Because it can save a lot of money and it usually works out. I’ve seen balcony guarantees go the the cost of insides. I’ve actually had an inside guarantee net me a ocean view balcony on one of my Alaskan cruises.