Online check in 72 hours prior to cruise

susiesan

O is sending me emails that says this:

All guests are required to complete Online Check-In no later than 72 hours prior to sailing. 

What happens if you cannot check in online 72 hours before the cruise? I cannot complete it as I do not have a passport at the moment, so I cannot enter the passport information. Hopefully I will have it by the 72 hour mark but I may not have it until 24 hours before. Every other part of the online check in is completed, picture taken, safety video watched, credit card info entered.

Then you will be doing the manual check in process at the port terminal. They know that 100% of the guests will not be able to complete the on line check in. 
I am sure your passport will arrive so have a wonderful trip.

Mauibabes

• Thanks 1

I'll go a step further and say that online checkin appeared to me to be totally meaningless for our three O cruises this year.  Every step was repeated at boarding, many multiple terms, for example, our passports were checked 5x when boarding in Papeete. Our credit card twice both in PPT and LAX.  

Likewise, don't bother doing the advance muster video 3 days ahead.  You'll be asked to do it again 1 day ahead.  Neither will make any difference you'll have to endure it a 3rd time to enable your cabin video system.

Don't bother getting a boarding group either.  Boarding is a mass process, no one will ever ask what your group or time is, strictly first come first served.    

In short, while we found we love O, we also found that none of the advance planning software stuff works as described.  The best tip I can provide is arrive late, as late as you dare, that first day lunch in the Terrace is bedlam, enjoy a leisurely shoreside lunch somewhere and head towards the gangway no earlier than 3pm.  You'll have the embarkation staff all to yourself and will sail straight through from curbside to cabin.  

• Like 3

I agree with jondfk.  We completed all the online check-in steps including uploading photos.  Check-in at the terminal was tedious and repetitive for our 2 cruises this year.  I am not sure of the benefit of the online check-in if we have to go through the same questions and steps in the terminal. They also took another photo of each of us even though they already had them from online check-in.  We watched the safety video in the online check-in but had to watch the same video again on the TV in the cabin.  You can't do anything else on the TV until the video has been watched. More repetition.  They asked for our passports at least twice but never bothered to glance at our vaccination cards. AFAIK the requirement is still either vaccination or negative test. 

On a positive note, we ate lunch at Terrace Cafe at 1:00 on embarkation day and did not encounter the expected crowds. It was actually quite pleasant and quiet. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Do we need to bring our vax cards to show anyone? Since the box is checked that says vaccinated, is having the card in hand still necessary?

The website still intimates that you will need to prove vaccination status.  I would bring the card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Do we need to bring our vax cards to show anyone? Since the box is checked that says vaccinated, is having the card in hand still necessary?

I never leave my home without my vaccination cards, just like I always carry my medical insurance cards and driver’s license.

16 hours ago, susiesan said:

proof is necessary and required- checking a box proves nothing. Bring the card, may be needed/ requested at other ports on this trip. We had to show proof in September. 

21 hours ago, susiesan said:

We didn't need to show our vax cards but that doesn't mean cruisers boarding different itineraries wouldn't need to do so.  What we did need to do is fill in the dates of vaxes and boosters on an O med form.  I, for one, couldn't have done it without having the vax card in my hand to refer to.  YMMV, but it's better to have the card and not need it than to not have it and be SOL.

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

We didn't need to show our vax cards but that doesn't mean cruisers boarding different itineraries wouldn't need to do so.  What we did need to do is fill in the dates of vaxes and boosters on an O med form.  I, for one, couldn't have done it without having the vax card in my hand to refer to.  YMMV, but it's better to have the card and not need it than to not have it and be SOL.

I will have the vax cards with us to show if asked.

We also had pictures of all the vax cards and other cruise and flight documents on our phones. Actually we had them in several files so we could produce them at a moments notice. In Photos, Books or other folders, we can never be caught short of documentation  We keep cruise docs, and Passports or anything cruise related on our phones, iPads or Mac Books. 

Have a great cruise,

Mauibabes

• Like 3

On 11/25/2022 at 2:36 PM, sunlover12 said:

They also took another photo of each of us even though they already had them from online check-in.

I think the photo you take at home (selfie) is to get past security and is never intended to be used as your cruise photo. Now whether or not security looks at it……….. I suppose it might count for something in case of disputes, like your EX appearing and claiming it is she who is meant to be on the cruise.

Being asked for your passport multiple times is like being at the hospital for a procedure and being asked your name and birthdate several times. I am never sure if that is a competence test, an IQ test or whether they really want to know for the 5th time. I do know that answering, “the same as I gave two minutes ago” doesn’t pass or even raise a smile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Robjame said:

I do know that answering, “the same as I gave two minutes ago” doesn’t pass or even raise a smile.

Related story.  Embarkation on the Queen Mary II.  The receptionist puts my cruise ID card on the counter in front of me face down and asks if my name is spelled correctly.  The side facing me says "Queen Mary II" so I replied "No, my name isn't Queen Mary".

Both she and the staff on either side thought that was hysterical.  It's all in the delivery...

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2022 at 7:59 PM, susiesan said:

With the issues you have had so far, I am shocked you would even consider taking the chance to not turn up without something that it is so easy to include in documentation!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Robjame said:

I think the photo you take at home (selfie) is to get past security and is never intended to be used as your cruise photo. 

To clarify that: We were on 2 O cruises this year.  Regatta in March and Sirena in October.

In March, they did use the photo from home as the cruise photo.  They did not take another photo in the terminal. In October, they took another photo in the terminal. It's inconsistent. One doesn't know what to expect.

Port security does not check the photo. They look at the passport and cross-check that with the name on the manifest. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ToxM said:

With the issues you have had so far, I am shocked you would even consider taking the chance to not turn up without something that it is so easy to include in documentation!

One less thing to carry around and possibly lose. I will be bringing a copy with me, I never carry the original around. Besides, almost no place requires seeing the card anymore or even requires vaccination other than some cruise lines.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

To clarify that: We were on 2 O cruises this year.  Regatta in March and Sirena in October.

In March, they did use the photo from home as the cruise photo.  They did not take another photo in the terminal. In October, they took another photo in the terminal. It's inconsistent. One doesn't know what to expect.

Port security does not check the photo. They look at the passport and cross-check that with the name on the manifest. 

did you embark at the same port?

of course  it was a different World  in March than in Oct also

38 minutes ago, susiesan said:

One less thing to carry around and possibly lose. I will be bringing a copy with me, I never carry the original around. Besides, almost no place requires seeing the card anymore or even requires vaccination other than some cruise lines.

Other than some cruise lines - amongst your other comments on this thread; I have to say with respect your naïveté regarding this cruise has astounded me at every juncture. I hope you get on your cruise and everything goes well. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ToxM said:

Other than some cruise lines - amongst your other comments on this thread; I have to say with respect your naïveté regarding this cruise has astounded me at every juncture. I hope you get on your cruise and everything goes well. 

I'm going for sure, hopefully with my husband. Nothing is going to stop me now🤩

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2022 at 12:36 PM, sunlover12 said:

I agree with jondfk.  We completed all the online check-in steps including uploading photos.  Check-in at the terminal was tedious and repetitive for our 2 cruises this year.  I am not sure of the benefit of the online check-in if we have to go through the same questions and steps in the terminal. They also took another photo of each of us even though they already had them from online check-in.  We watched the safety video in the online check-in but had to watch the same video again on the TV in the cabin.  You can't do anything else on the TV until the video has been watched. More repetition.  They asked for our passports at least twice but never bothered to glance at our vaccination cards. AFAIK the requirement is still either vaccination or negative test. 

On a positive note, we ate lunch at Terrace Cafe at 1:00 on embarkation day and did not encounter the expected crowds. It was actually quite pleasant and quiet. 

We are first time Oceania cruisers and I've been reading thru Boards to understand Oceania needs/expectations of us.  I notice you mentioned Uploading photos............I've searched thru our booking information and do not see the request.  ?????

Thank you for any help,

Judy