Should I book with Air Canada or United to Europe (same flights)?

MSMcDuffy

Hello,

We're flying from MSP to FCO and then ATH to MSP next May '23.  The actual flights are on Air Canada equipment but can be booked with their partner, United.  Even though there appears to be no difference in price, is there any advantage to booking with either one of them?  If the flights get cancelled or changed would United be the better one to book through since they have more flight options (connecting cities) in the US?....or does it not matter because they are partners and AC would offer the same flight options?

Also, do you think $1080 is a good price for this flight (regular economy, not basic)?  Delta does offer a similar price but we do not want to fly out of ATH at 6AM so will pay a little more for a better time.  Delta's better flight times are in the $1500's.

Thank you!

Have seen cases where it is harder to get seat reservations on code shares.  Some airlines (like BA) don't like doing seat reservations until late or require extra fees.  Not familiar with Air Canada, but you might want to look into their ticketing.  Haven't had problems with United but we almost always fly their planes.

• Thanks 1

Much experience in flying US-Toronto for work.  You want to avoid connecting in Toronto mainly due to the immigration clearance in Toronto.  If you miss your connecting flight in Toronto, you will arrive in an area secured for US flights only.  It can complicate how you get a new flight and whether you decide to leave the secured area or into the other parts of Pearson - but you'll be at the mercy of AC.  

Oh, and AC doesn't have allowance for hotel and meal stays if you miss a connection.  A buddy of mine spent the night on the floor of Pearson b/c they missed a connecting flight to London (with 20 kids but that's a different story).  Don't book assuming all goes well with the flight - book assuming something goes wrong and you minimize your frustration.

• Thanks 1

Other things being equal, I would always book with the airline that operates the metal.  If anything goes wrong, you are their passenger and they can't pass you on to anybody else.  We were in Florence and discovered by chance that Lufthansa was on strike.  We were two days away from flying LH to Frankfurt then AC home.  We had booked and ticketed through AC so called them and they got us on one of their flights out of Milan so we just took the train there.  Now, if we had booked through Lufthansa or United, would that have got sorted out quite as easily?  I'm dubious.

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 1:24 PM, LeeW said:

Some airlines (like BA) don't like doing seat reservations until late or require extra fees. 

For many, many years, BA has charged for advanced seat selection, even in business class for all but their top tier elites.  Has nothing to do with "like."

It is obvious from reading some of these posts, that so many travelers have no understanding of airline procedures in place to handle delays or cancelations, and what a passenger's rights are when this happens.  How we feel has nothing to do with rules and regulations.

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2022 at 6:46 AM, FRMinBG said:

Much experience in flying US-Toronto for work.  You want to avoid connecting in Toronto mainly due to the immigration clearance in Toronto.  If you miss your connecting flight in Toronto, you will arrive in an area secured for US flights only.  It can complicate how you get a new flight and whether you decide to leave the secured area or into the other parts of Pearson - but you'll be at the mercy of AC.  

Oh, and AC doesn't have allowance for hotel and meal stays if you miss a connection.  A buddy of mine spent the night on the floor of Pearson b/c they missed a connecting flight to London (with 20 kids but that's a different story).  Don't book assuming all goes well with the flight - book assuming something goes wrong and you minimize your frustration.

The OP is going to be routed into the international pier with only international flights and avoid Canadian customs going to Europe. 

Coming back the OP will clear US customs in Toronto, bags will be automatically transferred (unlike most US gateway airports) and yes, they will end up in a pier that only have US flights.

As for hotels it all depends on what the cause of the delay is.  The few times I have been stuck in Toronto I have always had AC put me up in a hotel.   Unfortunate but its the same issue with virtually any airline these days in North America.   

On 12/5/2022 at 11:00 PM, em-sk said:

As for hotels it all depends on what the cause of the delay is.  

True; any delay/cancellation beyond the airline’s control, you are entitled to nothing. If it’s controllable, you have more rights.  And, any agent can look up the reason for the delay/cancellation.