Snorkeling recommendations for a day in Cozumel

travelgal777

Hello - my husband and I will be in Cozumel December 5 on a Princess cruise and I'm looking for recommendations for what to do.  We'd like to find some good snorkeling.  (We have snorkeled a little bit in the past, so we're not super-experienced but not beginners either.  We would have to rent equipment.) We have some ship credit to use but I'm not sure if the excursions go to areas that are good for snorkeling.  Several of the ship's excursions go to Islands Beach Club, which is on the north end, and from what I've read it sounds like the best snorkeling is on the west side of the island?  There are a couple excursions by catamaran that include snorkeling, but they don't say where they go.  They might be worth a try.  Or, I found an independent excursion that would take us to Palancar and Columbia reefs and Playa El Cielo and is based out of Tortugas Beach Club, but we would have to get there ourselves by taxi.  Does that sound like a good choice? I don't see many comments here about Tortugas.  I'm not really accustomed to having to rely on taxi drivers but I haven't found any independent snorkel excursions that would pick us up at the port. Or, is there a good snorkeling area near our ship that would be easy for us to get to ourselves?  Any recommendations would be appreciated, thank you!

all the snorkeling boats will stay on the west side of the island.  The east side is waaaay too far and expensive (gas money) and seas are too rough.  Snorkeling by boat is almost always done at the same spots... either Paradise reef which is near Money Bar, or Chankanaab reef off that beach club, or father south it El Cielo lagoon.  Some snorkeling boats go to places they list as "Palancar reef" but that really isn't very good for snorkeling as the water is deep and lots of current.  I would steer clear of anything listing Palancar.  

A nice snorkeling tour from the ships is the Fury Catamaran and we can personally  recommend it.  They go to Paradise reef area which is nice and shallow and close to shore, then they stop at their private beach club for a few hours.  I did a quick video of it a few years ago... hubby and son loved it, the snorkeling and the beach toys, as well as the flowing drinks.

Edited by ABQrobin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, thank you for that information on where the snorkeling is, I appreciate that! 

I do see an excursion that sounds just like yours.  It's helpful to see your video to get an idea what it would be like!  There's also another one that's more pricey, with more time snorkeling and no time on a beach.  So perhaps we'll do one of those...

We had fabulous snorkeling right off the shore the The Cabana Beach (adjacent to Chankanaab). SO many colorful fish. We just walked right into the ocean (rocky entrance but there are steps there to get in) off the beach. When you book a Cabana, you get towels, snorkeling gear, a fruit plate and obviously the use of the Cabana for the day. If you want rays and turtles, you won't get them here, but if you just want fish, I highly recommend this spot. The only downside is that the food wasn't great, just ok.

I've heard good things about snorkeling at Money Bar too but haven't been there myself.

We did boat snorkeling one other time in Cozumel and really didn't like it much. There is a strong current and you float really fast - I felt like I had very little control over where I was going and if I wanted to circle back to something, I couldn't. Also didn't have as many things to see as right off the shore. The shore snorkeling also has current but slightly less - just use flippers and you'll be fine. We just went back and forth, back and forth, along the shore and kept seeing different things each sweep through.

Taxis in Cozumel are pretty organized. There is a price list posted and it doesn't take that long to get anywhere down the coast. Most places will just call for you to get a taxi back when you're ready to go, just a 15 min wait. Everywhere takes US dollars.

• Thanks 1

When we go to Cozumel, we usually take a cab to Money Bar or Sky Reef.  Money Bar was 12.00 for up to 4 people in the cab they rent equipment (but we have our own so I don't know cost).  You can use their facilities, but they want you to purchase food.  Sky Reef is a similar set up.  They do have an all inclusive option, but we tell them we want the pay as you go.  Both places will call a cab if there are none when you are ready to leave.  Sky Reef was around 15.00, I can't remember the exact cost but it wasn't more than 15 for the cab ride.  Both have website so you can see what food and drinks they have.  Entrance to water is easier at Sky Reef, and because of this it is our new favorite.

Edited by topspot
  • Thanks 2

I think Sky Reef is pretty cool. Had decent snorkeling and not in deep water. I snorkel A LOT and everywhere we go and this place was the most unique place we've ever snorkeled. It is LOADED with the prettiest sea fans in so many different colors. I walked away from there saying JUST WOW! I've never seen anything like it before. There were just so many and so beautiful. Of course there was coral and fish as well but I was just amazed at the sea fans. LOL 🙂 

You can check out my website/blog HERE and see pictures of our day there to get an idea of what it's like. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Chankanaab this time, and I LOVED it. I'm about ready to put up a review with pics, but I'll show you some of the snorkeling pics here.  The only thing is you need to be able-bodied to get in and out of the water to snorkel.  The waves crash into the steps pretty hard (or it did when I was there), but once you're out even a little, all was smooth swimming, and the reef is gorgeous right off the shore.  They also have a beginner's scuba course, and I might try that if I go next time.  I went with NCL and so utilized their $50 shore excursion credit.  Considering I went alone, it was a great deal: I wound up paying only $19.  20221207_120651.thumb.jpg.ad3dc716d5390613cfb5fcc157ec9731.jpg

20221207_115601.jpg

20221207_113647.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 12:15 PM, mitsugirly said:

I think Sky Reef is pretty cool. Had decent snorkeling and not in deep water. I snorkel A LOT and everywhere we go and this place was the most unique place we've ever snorkeled. It is LOADED with the prettiest sea fans in so many different colors. I walked away from there saying JUST WOW! I've never seen anything like it before. There were just so many and so beautiful. Of course there was coral and fish as well but I was just amazed at the sea fans. LOL 🙂 

You can check out my website/blog HERE and see pictures of our day there to get an idea of what it's like. 

Thank you for the info!! We always go to the Money Bar, but we may try this place in March. How would you compare the two as far as food and snorkeling? Thank you!