Bistro Sur La Mer

bigeagle12

I enjoy it and always book there.   Just don't recommend the escargot, they are not the garlicy buttery bread dipping kind.   They are deep fried and nasty.....and I pretty much eat everything.   The waiter looked at me like "told ya so"......

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I enjoy it and always book there.   Just don't recommend the escargot, they are not the garlicy buttery bread dipping kind.   They are deep fried and nasty.....and I pretty much eat everything.   The waiter looked at me like "told ya so"......

Darn and I love escargot.  I am afraid I will have to try it 😮

Edited by bigeagle12
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I enjoyed it. It was not a true French bistro-more French inspired. The food was very good and the service was fantastic. Some people have complained about the ambient noise from the Piazza but I did  not experience it as a problem. 

• Like 2

We tried it recently on Majestic so there may be slight differences due to different chefs etc, however it was the best of the three specialty restaurants we dined at.

The lobster bisque was outstanding as was the meringue desert.  

• Like 2

Recently dined on board Majestic Princess - and unlike most posters above, was not overly impressed. Service was OK, certainly not great and there was quite a bit of traffic going past as the area is not at all private. Menu I thought was rather bleh. Others of course will have a different view. We preferred Crown but again I don't think it was as good on Majestic as on other ships. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bigeagle12 said:

Darn and I love escargot.  I am afraid I will have to try it 😮

Let me know what you think......l like escargot too....just not theirs 🙂

I also agree, I didn't find the ambient noise to be an issue either.

Our party of 6 went to Bistro Sur La Mer on the Enchanted Princess in March.  We all enjoyed the meal but the location is more than a little problematic.  It is an open space overlooking the atrium which means that the noise level varies with the music being played in the atrium.  We had a 6 pm reservation and the music was mostly at background level but at 8 pm another group began playing much louder and we could barely hear ourselves talk.  We noticed lots of people leaving then and very few being seated.  We left as soon as we finished our deserts.  I question the wisdom of not only the open space but also if a large restaurant only open 4 (evening) hours per day is the best use of space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iamaqt2 said:

I see that dining alfresco is an option on the Discovery.  I'd love to give this a go on my upcoming cruise, and wondering if anyone has enjoyed this aspect of BSLM.

Al fresco dining wasn't available the evening we went to Bistro Sur La Mer.  This was in mid-March on a southern Caribbean cruise.  It was definitely warm enough outside but too windy.  We also never saw anyone sitting outside at Gigi's the couple of times we went to lunch there on port days.  The host said it was too sunny and hot.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, capriccio said:

Al fresco dining wasn't available the evening we went to Bistro Sur La Mer.  This was in mid-March on a southern Caribbean cruise.  It was definitely warm enough outside but too windy.  We also never saw anyone sitting outside at Gigi's the couple of times we went to lunch there on port days.  The host said it was too sunny and hot.

That's a shame.  I've booked BSLM for New Year's eve dinner as we leave Loreto Baja, and the weather should be perfect.   Dining alfresco would have been the perfect start to the evening IMO.

We enjoyed our dinner at Bistro Sur La Mer on the Discovery.  Service was great.  
Enjoyed all the dishes except the Ile Flotantte.  It definitely was not like the version I had in France.  But the waitstaff was so nice and let me order a different desert (the one he recommended) and I really enjoyed it.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bigeagle12 said:

Want to try this restaurant on the Enchanted.  Any personal experiences?

We dined there on our recent sailing on the Enchanted. The food was good, the ambience terrible. Being open to the piazza and foot traffic was the primary problem.

• Like 2

We've eaten there four times recently, twice on the Enchanted in September and once on the Sky two weeks ago. Great food and service, the location and ambience not so much.

As a general aside, has anyone ever actually seen patrons dining al fresco on the small patios outside the Bistro? Every time we've EVER eaten there, or even walked by, the outside dining area has been empty.  It's very exposed, with no overhead cover and probably quite windy whenever the ship is in motion, so I can't imagine it would be a comfortable place to "fine dine".

1 minute ago, louden said:

On our recent cruise on the Majestic we asked the Manager about dining al fresco and was told it was only done when in port.  Too windy etc underway.  Such a disappointment.

Louden

Sounds like no one at Princess thought of that ahead of time! 

Given that at the vast majority of port stops we have made, the ship departs during the dinner period it is a no brainer that the outside deck would be windy a great portion of the time.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, louden said:

On our recent cruise on the Majestic we asked the Manager about dining al fresco and was told it was only done when in port.  Too windy etc underway.  Such a disappointment.

Louden

Although we'll never sail with them again, outside dining is one area where Norwegian absolutely kills Princess to death. The Waterfront dining venues are amazing, very well designed

7 Things You Didn't Know About Norwegian Joy | NCL Travel Blog

• Like 5

We ate there tonight on Sky.  They said we could get the escargot traditional style, or as on the menu. I got traditional and it was excellent. Ironically, they also brought the fried version to us, then afterwards asked how we liked it. I said nope, prefer traditional.  The sea bass was quite good. The duck just ok. Service was fabulous, but we ate early, 5:45.  The noise from the piazza was not an issue as we were by a window, and the band at that early time was not loud.  I’d book the restaurant again. 

• Like 6

Well I went ahead and canceled my reservation for New Year's eve.  I really wanted an al fresco dining experience and it sounds like that is not even possible while underway.  A pity, as I'm not a fan of Crown Grill and we've eaten at Sabatini's previously.  Will probably try booking for a different night once onboard when the MDR menu doesn't appeal.  Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

• Like 2