Joy - LA to Long Beach transit

biggu

Hello! Departing on Feb 12 aboard the Joy for a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise. I am trying to figure out how to get from LAX to Long Beach area for boarding? I have seen Uber, Lyft, Taxis and assorted shuttles.  Can anyone give me some advise on which is best and if they run 24/7 because our flight may be a red eye. Thanks in advance for your help.

We are going on same cruise Feb 5. Also wondering about transportation from Long Beach airport to Port. Also is the cruise terminal at San pedro? since we can't check in util 21 days before cruise I can't see the port information on documents. 

Has anyone been to Ensenada? Any stores right off the ship? Or short walk from the ship?

TIA

5 minutes ago, biggu said:

Hello! Departing on Feb 12 aboard the Joy for a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise. I am trying to figure out how to get from LAX to Long Beach area for boarding? I have seen Uber, Lyft, Taxis and assorted shuttles.  Can anyone give me some advise on which is best and if they run 24/7 because our flight may be a red eye. Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome to CC.   Check out the West Coast Departures forum.   Lots of good info available for transportation.  Here is the link for you:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, biggu said:

You will sail from San Pedro. When you pick up your luggage there are signs directing you to the Uber/Lyft/ etc pick up. Be prepared to walk. We have wheels on our luggage and there are benches to rest if you feel the need. It is not a hike but be it is a walk. If you are staying at an LA hotel first you will walk straight as you leave the luggage area and there are signs directing you to the hotel shuttle area for the hotels that offer them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drumming cruisers said:

We are going on same cruise Feb 5. Also wondering about transportation from Long Beach airport to Port. Also is the cruise terminal at San pedro? since we can't check in util 21 days before cruise I can't see the port information on documents. 

Has anyone been to Ensenada? Any stores right off the ship? Or short walk from the ship?

TIA

In Enseada there is a bus which will take you into downtown Ensenada. They offer excursions etc. Most enjoy the La Bufadora and the ability to shop at the "swap meet" my loose term for the little open air shops up and down on the way to and from the blow hole after you stop. You can walk from the ship to the downtown area but it is a walk. I am older so we always take the bus to downtown. Though we have been many times we sometimes go to the La Bufadora area to shop and then come back and enjoy a bar downtown and walk back to the bus area for the return to the ship. If you do major shopping, as one time my daughter and I went to buy pots for our yards in varying sizes, and we took a taxi back to the ship. We live in California and it is about a 6 hour drive from my house - worth it for the wonderful pots as they cost almost twice as much stateside.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

You will sail from San Pedro. When you pick up your luggage there are signs directing you to the Uber/Lyft/ etc pick up. Be prepared to walk. We have wheels on our luggage and there are benches to rest if you feel the need. It is not a hike but be it is a walk. If you are staying at an LA hotel first you will walk straight as you leave the luggage area and there are signs directing you to the hotel shuttle area for the hotels that offer them.

There is a free bus at LAX that takes you to the Uber lot

• Like 1

The lot at LAX where Uber, Lyft and Taxis pick you up is called the "LAX-it" lot.  It is directly across a small street from Terminal 1...Very easy to walk if you de-plane there.  (You can also walk from Terminals 2, 7 and 8, but it's a little longer walk.)  For most people, there is a shuttle bus that stops right in front of the baggage claim areas of all of the terminals other than T1.  The buses arrive 24/7 virtually every couple of minutes.  Miss a bus and there will be another one very soon.

When you get to the lot, there are clearly marked signs all over directing you to the pick-up areas for all of the services...and your Uber or Lyft app will direct you to a specific area.  

ALL cruise lines EXCEPT CARNIVAL use the World Cruise Center in San Pedro for embarkation/disembarkation.  Carnival uses its own terminal on the other side of the harbor in Long Beach.

As for Ensenada, from where the ships dock to the main shopping area, it's a few blocks walk, less than a mile, to the main shopping area of downtown Ensenada.  You get off the ship, walk to the harbor entrance and turn left and walk a few blocks...

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

There is a free bus at LAX that takes you to the Uber lot

A great share about the bus! We fly Southwest and the terminal is right by the lot, so you only walk inside the terminal. It was the walk once outside that for me was so long pulling my suitcases. Though for someone younger than their 70's and they exercise it would be a piece of cake. I know...I know...get on the treadmill. 😂 

Like @valleyvillage, we prefer to be picked up right outside of the terminal and not have to trek to the LAX-it lot. So, on our most recent cruise this past August, we hired Lansky Enterprises to take us from the airport to the hotel. Our cruise left out of Long Beach, not San Pedro, but it should be pretty similar. The cost for 3 adults was $168 for a private car, it was a large SUV. You can read my post about it HERE.

As for Ensenada, I shared some info about the bus to town in THIS post, read through the thread for more info about the port. 

Best of luck, hope you have a wonderful time!

I live about 10 minutes from LAX and fly in and out of there often.  If you are in relatively good health and like walking, I would walk to the LAX-It lot from terminals 1 to 3 and even 7.  To me unless I have just a little carryon, it’s kind of a hassle waiting for the shuttle (even though the are frequent, at peak times they may be full) and lugging your bags on to the shuttle.  

Once at the lot there are separate lines for Uber, Lyft and taxi.  I usually compare the prices on the apps between Uber and Lyft and just pick the cheapest.  Occasionally due to surge pricing they are crazy expensive, in which case I usually do better with a taxi.

On 11/29/2022 at 4:22 PM, gretan said:

I live about 10 minutes from LAX and fly in and out of there often.  If you are in relatively good health and like walking, I would walk to the LAX-It lot from terminals 1 to 3 and even 7.  To me unless I have just a little carryon, it’s kind of a hassle waiting for the shuttle (even though the are frequent, at peak times they may be full) and lugging your bags on to the shuttle.  

Once at the lot there are separate lines for Uber, Lyft and taxi.  I usually compare the prices on the apps between Uber and Lyft and just pick the cheapest.  Occasionally due to surge pricing they are crazy expensive, in which case I usually do better with a taxi.

Since you have been to this lot - can a regular car go there & wait? LAX is such a hassle & I would love it if my husband could wait there & I take the shuttle

On 12/1/2022 at 8:10 AM, victory2020 said:

Since you have been to this lot - can a regular car go there & wait? LAX is such a hassle & I would love it if my husband could wait there & I take the shuttle

No.

LAX has a regular cell phone lot.

https://www.flylax.com/parking-at-lax