What should we do while in Greece?

NCteacherlovescruising

We will be cruising to Greece in August 2024.  I've never been anywhere in the Mediterranean, nor begun any research, but our ports will be:  

Athens - Will be here two days before cruise

Santorini 6:30 AM-10 PM

Mykonos 6:30 AM- 5 PM

Zakynthos 9:30 AM- 8:30 PM

Corfu 6:30 AM- 5 PM

It will be a group couples/friends in our 50's and 60's.  We may or may not do all our excursions together, but all of us are fit enough to walk around ports.  I love a beautiful beaches, beautiful scenery, shopping, and city tours.  My husband enjoys history and city tours/beautiful scenery.  We are into nice wine.  I am good with ship or private tours, as well as do it yourself, if it's easy to get around.  I am a bit overwhelmed and don't know where to start.  We also have the following ports: 

Kotor, Montenegro

Dubrovnik Croatia

Split Croatia

Venice Italy

Trieste Italy

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I just need a starting place.

And will be staying two days in Venice after the cruise.

CruiserBruce’s advice above is excellent.  I would also buy Rick Steves’ guide books for the countries you visit and possibly his book on Mediterranean Cruise ports.  I look at the ship’s excursions for ideas (even if I don’t plan on buying them) and then cross reference that to the more detailed info in the guide books.   That helps me plan out what I’m most interested in.  Then I conduct further internet searches for even more details.  

I tend to work on one port at a time, writing up notes into an electronic document.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 2

Most of the ports are well documented here on CC (just do a search) and many other sites.  They can all be done on your own or with tours (simply your preference).  Zakynthos is one you may not see mentioned on a lot of sites.   What we enjoy on this island is going to Shipwreck Beach (via boat) which is a picturesque beach that lies just below a very high cliff (there is a viewing platform on top of that cliff that can be accessed via land).   We once went to Shipwreck on a small yacht trip (20 passenger) and dropped anchor about 100 meters off the beach.  Most of us jumped in the water and swam to the beach where one could look at the rusting hulk of a freighter (it was smuggling cigarettes).  If you do not want to book a cruise line excursion you can usually find some small boat tours from the port.

Hank

23 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Athens - Will be here two days before cruise

Santorini 6:30 AM-10 PM

Mykonos 6:30 AM- 5 PM

Zakynthos 9:30 AM- 8:30 PM

Corfu 6:30 AM- 5 PM

Just some random points to make note of:

Athens:  Whichever day you see the Acropolis, make sure that you are there waiting when the gates open. It is so much less crowded for the first hour or two until all of the ship tours and land tours show up. Either take some pages from a guide book with you or download a podcast such as those Rick Steves has available (I think they're free?).

Other must sees in Athens:  Greek Agora (across from the Acropolis); Acropolis Museum (across from Acropolis but in a different direction); the Roman Agora and Tower of the Winds; the Temple of Olympian Zeus (even if only for a quick look to marvel at how HUGE it is...); the Plaka area (if you can get to the less touristy parts it's better). Have a cocktail on the rooftop terrace of the Grande Bretagne hotel. The Archaeological Museum is the best in Greece if you are interested in classical history. If you go, don't forget to look up the frescoes from Santorini -- there are more of them in Athens than on Santorini island.

Santorini:  Plan carefully here, the island gets overwhelmed when too many cruise ships are in port together.  A ship tour isn't needed, but taking one ensures that you'll get off the ship in a timely manner. Oia is the "scenic" blue-and-white town everyone photographs -- go there first if possible. Akrotiri is the ancient site, destroyed by volcanic eruption like Pompeii but some 1800 years earlier!  (This is where the frescoes in Athens are from.). Make sure to leave enough time to get back to the ship at the end of the day, the cable car is optimal way but the lines get very long if crowded....

Mykonos:  Very easy to do on your own. Ship may tender or dock; if docked there is a shuttle to the main area of town (there may be a small charge for it or not, depending on your ship).  You can wander town for shopping or a bite to eat, you can head to the beach (Mykonos has some good ones but will need to take the bus or a taxi), or you can choose to take a tour to nearby Delos and see the ruins there if you like history.

Zakynthos:  As described, mostly a port for scenic overlooks and beaches. Beautiful but not my favorite since I'm not really a scenery or beach person....

Corfu:  You can spend your time in the charming Corfu Town (which is decidedly less charming when overrun with tourists). It has a Venetian feel about it due to being part of the Venetian Republic at one time. Lovely promenade, nice shopping streets, small old churches. I particularly liked the icon museum. The rest of the island is pretty and greener than most of the Greek islands. If you are literary at all you probably are aware of the Durrells in Corfu -- authors of and subjects of books, television series, etc. There are some places associated with them that can be visited. The Achilleion Palace, another frequent stop is pretty but has been closed for renovation the last couple of years...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just some random points to make note of:

Athens:  Whichever day you see the Acropolis, make sure that you are there waiting when the gates open. It is so much less crowded for the first hour or two until all of the ship tours and land tours show up. Either take some pages from a guide book with you or download a podcast such as those Rick Steves has available (I think they're free?).

We could easily get there when they  open on day 2 or 3.  This is great information to have!

Other must sees in Athens:  Greek Agora (across from the Acropolis); Acropolis Museum (across from Acropolis but in a different direction); the Roman Agora and Tower of the Winds; the Temple of Olympian Zeus (even if only for a quick look to marvel at how HUGE it is...); the Plaka area (if you can get to the less touristy parts it's better). Have a cocktail on the rooftop terrace of the Grande Bretagne hotel. The Archaeological Museum is the best in Greece if you are interested in classical history. If you go, don't forget to look up the frescoes from Santorini -- there are more of them in Athens than on Santorini island.

I will look into all your suggestions.  

Santorini:  Plan carefully here, the island gets overwhelmed when too many cruise ships are in port together.  A ship tour isn't needed, but taking one ensures that you'll get off the ship in a timely manner. Oia is the "scenic" blue-and-white town everyone photographs -- go there first if possible. Akrotiri is the ancient site, destroyed by volcanic eruption like Pompeii but some 1800 years earlier!  (This is where the frescoes in Athens are from.). Make sure to leave enough time to get back to the ship at the end of the day, the cable car is optimal way but the lines get very long if crowded....

Sounds like this would be a good place to do a ship excursion.  We have shore credits available for every port so we might as well use some of them.

Mykonos:  Very easy to do on your own. Ship may tender or dock; if docked there is a shuttle to the main area of town (there may be a small charge for it or not, depending on your ship).  You can wander town for shopping or a bite to eat, you can head to the beach (Mykonos has some good ones but will need to take the bus or a taxi), or you can choose to take a tour to nearby Delos and see the ruins there if you like history.

We are scheduled to dock here.  I need to decide if I want my beach day here or in Zakynthos.  I'm sure my dear husband won't want to do it both days.  However, I love a beautiful beach and with us being in a different port each day, a day of lounging on the beach would be perfect.

Zakynthos:  As described, mostly a port for scenic overlooks and beaches. Beautiful but not my favorite since I'm not really a scenery or beach person....

I would enjoy either.  

Corfu:  You can spend your time in the charming Corfu Town (which is decidedly less charming when overrun with tourists). It has a Venetian feel about it due to being part of the Venetian Republic at one time. Lovely promenade, nice shopping streets, small old churches. I particularly liked the icon museum. The rest of the island is pretty and greener than most of the Greek islands. If you are literary at all you probably are aware of the Durrells in Corfu -- authors of and subjects of books, television series, etc. There are some places associated with them that can be visited. The Achilleion Palace, another frequent stop is pretty but has been closed for renovation the last couple of years...

I've never heard of the Durrells in Corfu.  Perhaps the Achilleion Palace will reopen before we go.  Otherwise, wondering around a charming town would be nice too.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions.  I just felt overwhelmed since I have never been in this area and haven't heard of many of the places people were mentioning.  

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Most of the ports are well documented here on CC (just do a search) and many other sites.  They can all be done on your own or with tours (simply your preference).  Zakynthos is one you may not see mentioned on a lot of sites.   What we enjoy on this island is going to Shipwreck Beach (via boat) which is a picturesque beach that lies just below a very high cliff (there is a viewing platform on top of that cliff that can be accessed via land).   We once went to Shipwreck on a small yacht trip (20 passenger) and dropped anchor about 100 meters off the beach.  Most of us jumped in the water and swam to the beach where one could look at the rusting hulk of a freighter (it was smuggling cigarettes).  If you do not want to book a cruise line excursion you can usually find some small boat tours from the port.

Hank

Sounds like Zakynthos may be the perfect beach day for us.  I will check out Shipwreck beach, thanks.  

20 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I would start by doing a couple things. First, reading around this board, and the boards that cover your other ports. Second, I would be looking at the excursions offered by the ship to get an idea of popular sites in those ports.

I do look over ship excursions to get ideas, but they haven't opened yet.  

18 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

CruiserBruce’s advice above is excellent.  I would also buy Rick Steves’ guide books for the countries you visit and possibly his book on Mediterranean Cruise ports.  I look at the ship’s excursions for ideas (even if I don’t plan on buying them) and then cross reference that to the more detailed info in the guide books.   That helps me plan out what I’m most interested in.  Then I conduct further internet searches for even more details.  

I tend to work on one port at a time, writing up notes into an electronic document.

Good idea to do it one port at a time, instead of country by country.  I usually just take some notes by hand, but for this I like your idea of an electronic document.   I just looked and found the Rick Steve's Guide book on Amazon.  Maybe I will add some of them to my Christmas list and order one to take on my cruise this month.  I too like to get ideas from our ships excursions, but the cruise is so far away they haven't opened yet.  I appreciate your input.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I've never heard of the Durrells in Corfu.  Perhaps the Achilleion Palace will reopen before we go.  Otherwise, wondering around a charming town would be nice too.

Think back to your English Lit days. 

Lawrence Durrell, author of the Alexandria Quartet.

Brother Gerald Durrell, author of The Corfu Trilogy. (Not as famous.)

And assorted other Durrells.

The television series "Durrells in Corfu" is about their very unconventional lives on the island.  

Zakynthos is perfect for a beach day.

In Mykonos, do checkout going to Delos.  Since this is normally a long port day in most cruises, you would have plenty of time for Delos and to spend time in Mykonos town afterwards.  An option that is fun, would be a 4-wheel drive tour of the island that takes you to see the sights and stops at a couple of beaches for a swim.

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I too like to get ideas from our ships excursions, but the cruise is so far away they haven't opened yet.  I appreciate your input.  Thanks!

From your posts above, I’m guessing you are on an NCL cruise.  Even though the excursions for your specific cruise aren’t posted yet, you can generally see what will be offered for each port using the search feature on this page…

https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions

• Like 1