land cruise in alaska

oceanfan1212

About five years ago, a hamburger was US$25 at the lodges. Breakfast buffet about $20. Don't remember how much on the salmon dinner but didn't spring for it. Look at a current menu online and that should tell you the current picture.

Lesson learned. If we go back, we will go Connoisseur (excursions and meals included) or won't go at all. Can't really split a buffet, so yeah, you both need it.

We have done two Connoisseur Cruise Tours to Alaska. They included "most" meals. The cruise tours were more expensive than the ones that weren't listed as Connoisseur but, to us, they were well worth the extra money.

For some insight into the Connoisseur Cruise Tours check out this (very old but still relevant) thread by @caribill

As I said, the thread is old but it was instrumental in convincing us to book our first Alaska Connoisseur Cruise Tour and we were happy enough with that one to book another.

We did the Princess Alaska Connoisseur land and sea in 2019. First week by land,second was the cruise. My boyfriend treated me,so I didn't worry about the price!Because of that, I can't say how much we could have saved by not having meals included. Our meals(I believe it was breakfast and dinner) were included and we could order anything from the menu. i think the only time there was a buffet it was breakfast but most of the time we could still order from a menu unless we were in a hurry. Our tour guide who was with us the first week on land, made our dinner reservations for us each night. I was really spoiled by that trip and highly recommend including your meals.

We did an Alaska cruisetour in June (not connoisseur) that did not include meals.  We like to eat at places other than Princess hotels, support the locals if possible.  We found this worked fine for us.  Yes we were prepared for the high prices of food in Alaska.  But we had lots of eating choices, and we ate at some Princess hotel places too.  If you wish more details about what we ate, let me know.

I did a Cruise Tour several years ago, going from Anchorage to Denali to McKinnley.  I really enjoyed the train ride to the ship.

Im considering a pre retirement journey in 2024 (May/June), and I d like to include Fairbanks.  I want to include the train ride to the ship, so that seems to rule out the Copper Canyon and Kenai places. 

Also, Im not sure what tours would be available at those places.

Any advice from experienced travelers? 

When we did our cruise tour, we saved a lot of money by not having the meal plan. There are casual options available at each of the lodges in addition to a fine dining restaurant. Back then, Princess posted the menus with prices online. I don't see them now on the official Princess Lodges website, but Open Table has some available. They may be out of date, but here's one example for Fannie Q's Saloon at the Denali Princess Lodge: https://www.opentable.com/r/fannie-q-saloon-denali-princess-lodge-denali-national-park

In June 2022 we did the Princess cruisetour, starting in Fairbanks.  We just did the included tours:  Gold Dredge #8 (which I did not think I would like, but I loved it); river steamboat ride (very enjoyable).  We walked around downtown Fairbanks and ate lunch at the Crepery; very good and reasonable for Alaska prices.  I wrote a review of the Fairbanks part of our trip, located under "Alaska".

We did the Denali Natural History tour (what they are offering this year).  We enjoyed it and the wildlife.  Unfortunately Denali was hidden in the clouds when we were there.  We ate across the street a couple of times (Subway and hot dos) and at the pizza place (good).

At the McKinley Lodge we went into Talkeetna and walked the streets.  Had the best ice cream of the trip, something native that was blue, maybe fireweed.  We ate lunch in Talkeetna, but that was a big disappointment.

We enjoyed the rail trip and the bus rides and everything there was.  Forget the mosquitoes (bring bug spray).  Relax and do what you can.  We are bookworms, so we don't do much.  There are lots of private tours out there.  Research is your friend.