Straights of Florida and Cuba

shepherd really

Did that in 11/21 on Riviera (but on the longer 10 day cruise), but Cuba is mostly a smudge on the horizon. Even with binoculars. Saw a bit more of Cuba a bit closer at times when Sirena came back up from her recent E. Caribbean cruise (11/18-28/22) by way of Puerto Plata and the Dominican Republic.

• Like 1

Greetings

In our experience, after taking far too many Caribbean cruises, Cuba is a very distant shoreline when traveling around the western side. If you are traveling from Miami around the eastern side then look at the satellite view on Google maps and notice that the Bahama Banks below Andros come very close to Cuba. There is a tower marking the bottom of the banks. The shipping channel is very narrow there and is very close to Cuba. Around that area is usually the best view of Cuba.

Good Sailing

Tom

• Like 1

Assuming the weather is clear, you will likely see Cuba. However, as others have said, you will see very little detail...kind of like seeing Greenland from a plane. If you have high power binoculars (i.e., large objective lenses) or even better, a telescope, you may see more detail. I wish O had telescopes mounted in various locations.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. 

I would like to spot Cuba, but if not, that's fine too. 

My first Carribean cruise was 35 years ago (anyone remember the Cunard Countess?) and I haven't done one since.  Looking forward to some sun, warm weather and checking out Sirena in January, the itinerary is really secondary for me which is exactly the opposite of my "normal" cruise choices.