Disappointed w/ Scootaround, Ft. Lauderdale

MrsP88

I contact Scootaround several weeks earlier to order an electric wheelchair for our Caribbean Princess Cruise beginning in Ft. Lauderdale in Nov. 2022 to Panama Canal. Our last cruise, I found it difficult to wheel by myself with the carpeted floors and length of cruise ship. I was given a contract to sign and paid my fees. I even called them to confirm and to state our cabin was a new number. They updated my contract and sent it to me. On the day of the cruise, hours before sailing my chair wasn't there. I called Scootaround and spoke to a rep. She said, that I was on the list to have the electric wheelchair delivered and they were running late getting them all on board. She told me not to wait inside our cabin, to go have fun and it would be there shortly. We came back to a scooter in our cabin- NOT what I ordered. I emailed the company ASAP multiple times, I even spoke w/ Princess Customer Service who contacted them. Princess said Scootaround couldn't do anything. There were no extras on board, we were already sailing, the islands we were going to had no Scootaround offices. I couldn't use the Scooter because controls were too far away and I was afraid I'd lose balance and fall out. So, I couldn't use it. NO ONE FROM SCOOTAROUND has ever contacted me since. I am waiting for a refund. I left messages via email and tried to call w/ no response during our cruise. And, I did everything the contract told me to do if there were problems. This was my first and only time I will never use Scootaround again! VERY UNHAPPY!

We’ve used Scootaround for years with no problems at all - until last month. We were on Enchanted Princess on a 14 day cruise. DH rented a mobility scooter, which broke down twice. Staff very quickly brought us a wheelchair each time and attempted to figure out the problem but, after the second time, they were able to locate a back-up scooter for him.  
Wonder what’s going on with them.  We may have to try SpecialNeeds next time. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you received a scooter to use it was probably the standard Pride machine.  The scooter has an adjustable knob on the front column to allow you to bring the controls closer to you or to push them farther forward if need be.  It is too bad you didn't ask questions about the scooter when you were talking with the company or ask questions of any of the other multiple Pride users on the ship.

I personally don't understand the preference of a wheelchair when the scooter is so much more maneuverable. JMO.

On 12/26/2022 at 12:34 PM, gadaboutgal said:

If you received a scooter to use it was probably the standard Pride machine.  The scooter has an adjustable knob on the front column to allow you to bring the controls closer to you or to push them farther forward if need be.  It is too bad you didn't ask questions about the scooter when you were talking with the company or ask questions of any of the other multiple Pride users on the ship.

I personally don't understand the preference of a wheelchair when the scooter is so much more maneuverable. JMO.

I can’t agree I find a power wheelchair way more manouverable than a scooter, but they each hav3 different uses and features, I do think that many (non regula4 users) would find a scooter more intuitive (with its handle bar type design) that a wheelchair (joystick controlled)

• Like 1

Don't give up. If they did not provide the equipment specified in the contract, they have to refund everything, Call them again and if they continue being non-responsive, post on their social media platforms as that usually prompts a quick response. As a last resort, you can file in small claims court.  

• Like 2