Seattle questions (and, etc)...

MisterMatthew

Hello kind folks...

I am sailing the Eurodam to AK

Embark:  5/20/23 (Seattle, WA)

Disembark:  5/27/23 (Seattle, WA)

May I ask a few questions...

1)  The only port that is outside of the U.S. is Victoria, CAN.  Will I need a passport.  I do not currently have a passport.  But, will shortly get one anyways.

2)  My flight will land in Seattle at 8:25am.  And (from what I understand) that is the first flight of the day for the aircraft.  It is on Southwest Air.  I have heard that HAL has a shuttle bus, or buses, that will take you from SEA-TAC to the port.  And, you pre-pay to get a ticket.  But, I am not aware of the cost?  The shuttle bus... is it more of a 3rd party company?  Or, actually operated by HAL?  Also, what are the "likely" times it will start picking up folks at SEA-TAC?  And, once I give my luggage to the shuttle bus attendant --- do I NO LONGER need to keep the luggage in my possession?  I ask this, because it is, obviously, unknown when my boarding time will be?  I know I typed a lot... but, I'm curious about this.  Thanks!

3)  The Eurodam returns to port at 7am, or is at least scheduled to.  Is the disembarkation process a difficult one?  I do have one HAL cruise under my belt --- & that included clearing customs at San Diego. 

4)  How early will the shuttle buses begin taking people from the port to SEA-TAC.  I have not booked my return flight yet.  I am eyeing several flights.. there is one that leaves the airport at 12:20pm.  In your opinion, do you think it is likely that I can MAKE that flight ... or, am I pressing my luck?  Is the port a short distance from SEA-TAC?

5)  Lastly, at the port, is there anything to do?  to see?  to eat?  to drink? 

Oh, forgot to mention -- my embark day (and disembark day) are both on a Saturday.  I thank you so much for help with this!!

----Matthew

• Like 1

For Seattle specific questions, check out the West Coast Departures board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

You will see there, for example, the earliest flights recommended are 11:30, although some will try 11am.

The transport airport to port and back (never recommended to fly in day of sailing) is a contract with a local bus company by HAL. Just like any other port. The buses will start to the port when there is demand, and will leave the port when the ship is cleared. Same protocol at all ports.

The disembarkation process will be very similar to San Diego.

No, there isn't much to see at the port HAL uses.

• Like 1

Yes, you will need a passport for your Canadian port, even if it is just on file with HAL for them to clear your going ashore.

I don't recall seeing much at the port, but then I live near Seattle and was just dropped off at embarkation time. 

17 minutes ago, cicadas said:

Yes, you will need a passport for your Canadian port, even if it is just on file with HAL for them to clear your going ashore.

I don't recall seeing much at the port, but then I live near Seattle and was just dropped off at embarkation time. 

This is not accurate. You do NOT need a passport at all for this closed loop cruise. Even to go ashore in Victoria.  However, while not required it's always recommended to have a passport.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Gsel said:

It is my experience when sailing this itinerary a passport is necessary. Check with HAL!

My personal experience on 5 different occasions since 2017, including July of last year is that it is NOT. Several people in my party do not have passports 

Hi Matthew,

First of all, let me say this is a great trip.  I was on Eurodam and did the 7-day Seattle to Seattle cruise this past June. Glacier Bay is beautiful!

You may not need the passport, but it's a good idea just the same. If for any reason you are unable to return on the cruise ship to Seattle, it makes things easier to get back home. For example, if you needed medical attention and were at a hospital in Canada, you would have an easier time getting home after hospital discharge (sorry, but I'm a healthcare provider, and no one ever expects to be admitted to the hospital. My mind always thinks like this, LOL).

I can't comment on the shuttle. We used UBER, and never had a problem -- lots of availability in Seattle. Of course, the only down-side is if you need a ride when there is something going on in the city, you can experience surge pricing. We had this happen on our return to the airport, and the cost was about twice what it had been on arrival.

We tend to always fly in a day (or more) earlier than embarkation day.  I always plan for the worst on travel days. Recently, air travel is even more precarious given the flight cancellations that have occurred recently.

There are two cruise ports in Seattle. Unfortunately, there is nothing to see at the port HAL uses here. All the more reason to fly in earlier so you can see the sites!

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Christine

Although what @Brentt_M says is correct, you can't just board the ship with a normal drivers license for ID; you will need a birth certificate+ID, passport card, EDL (which very few states offer...note this is different than REAL ID), etc.  Here are the words direct from HAL's FAQ:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises: U.S. citizens on cruises in the Western Hemisphere that originate and terminate in the same U.S. port are required to have proof of citizenship such as a valid U.S. passport or a government issued birth certificate combined with a government issued photo I.D. Other approved proof of citizenship documents such as a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) or certificate of naturalization along with a government-issued photo ID are also acceptable. A passport is still the preferred document. PLEASE NOTE –WHTI-compliant documents are acceptable for entry or re-entry into the United States. You may be required to present additional or different travel documents when entering foreign countries, including some countries in the Western Hemisphere.

• Thanks 1

If you enjoy cruising and are considering doing more of it, I would just get the passport and be done with it. You have gotten a bunch of different answers as to whether or not it is needed on this trip, but why take any chances, just get the passport.

We were on the Westerdam this past summer. There is nothing at the port that HAL uses to look at. I was very proud of us, we figured out the public transportation in Seattle and managed to get around with no taxi or uber. Since you are flying in the day of the cruise, you don't really have time to do any exploring, just take the transfers to the ship.

The 12:20 flight should not be a problem. If you want to explore Seattle and take a later flight I would check to see if there is an option through HAL that will take your luggage to the airport and grab a bus to explore until a later flight. (We took a bus to the Amtrak station and checked our bags and explored all day).

A passport card does nothing more than a DL and birth certificate.  It doesn’t grant boarding an aircraft from a WHTI country.  It doesn’t work for cruises that call in Panama, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Costa Rica or Colombia to name four off the top of my head. 

The passport card *was* a handy thing for boarding a plane in the US if your state DIDNT issue REAL ID (all states and territories now do so).  It’s handy if you’re a US National who routinely crosses land borders with Canada or Mexico and cannot pass a Global Entry, SENTRI or NEXUS background check.  It is extremely handy if you do business with organizations that restrict access to certain work areas to US nationals under any number of federal laws.  

For cruise passengers, there isn’t a single itinerary sailed by HAL where it functions better than a raised-seal state-issued birth certificate and a valid Drivers License or State ID.  Not one. 

OP says he’s getting a passport.  Terrific.  If it doesn’t show up in time, nothing will prevent him from boarding in Seattle or enjoying Victoria if he boards with his BC and DL.  

Now, as for the flight:   I think anything before 11:30 currently has an unacceptable risk of going haywire.  I think 12:20 is more than reasonable and fits in HAL’s published guidance as well.  I would note that Seattle in cruise season is really lovely, and the Port offers complimentary checked luggage transport to the airport for those with later flights so they can enjoy the city unburdened by checked luggage.  Pair this with the nightmare that is how cruise bus transfers get dropped off at SeaTac and I’ll propose the best way to disembark is to send you checked luggage with Port Valet and either get an Uber or use public transit from the Port to something of tourist interest, and then take light rail to the airport before your flight.  You’ll enjoy some time in our fair city and won’t be left with the distinct impression that you’ve been herded like cattle at the airport.  

• Like 1