AARP e-gift card

darnoc23

3 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Oh, one more question.

AARP site indicates maximum of 5 cards per month.  Is it calendar month?  Or one month from last gift card purchase?

Calendar month.  Bought some mid October and thought I had to wait until mid November (from bad info here).  I checked Nov 1 and was able to buy 5 more.  Bought 5 more December 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

Oh, one more question.

AARP site indicates maximum of 5 cards per month.  Is it calendar month?  Or one month from last gift card purchase?

Not only is it per calendar month but per person. If you have a spouse, register them with a separate email address and you collectively get up to 10 per month.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

So wrong.  More fake news from a Princess employee.

I agree Princess agent has given wrong info. I recently paid my TA with 3 gift cards and balance on credit card for Feb. cruise.

• Like 1

I just went to the AARP site to see if: 1) you had to be a paying member to get the cards (you do not) and to buy another card since we are now in a new month.  When I clicked on image of either card, an error message flashed very briefly (tenth of a second) that says "This item is not found in the system".  (I had to click on it multiple times to read the whole thing because it disappears in a flash.)  The error message then changes to "We are currently experiencing technical difficulties in processing your request. Please retry in a few minutes. Thank you for your patience."  So maybe either Princess, AARP or both have detected some funky stuff going on with their gift card process and halted the sale.  Anyone else seeing this?

4 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Last year, I bought several $500 Princess gift cards on Princess website during a promotion.  In January, I used them to pay for 2 cruises.  After paying for the 1st cruise, I still had one unused $500 card, and another $500 card with $200 unused balance.  So, I called to pay payment on my 2nd cruise, the balance was $950.  I planned to use the unused $500 card, used card with remaining balance of $200, and charge $250 with my credit card.  The Princess agent told me Princess system can only take one type of payment, either pay all with gift cards or all with credit card.  Since my remaining gift cards total only $700, which is not enough to pay my final payment balance of $950, then I will not be able to use my gift cards; I need to pay the entire $950 with my credit card.  So now I am stuck with the two gift cards that I can only use them if I happen to have purchase of $750 or less, 

Not true at all.  I used GC’s and paid balance with my CC. 
Your TA/CVP could do it for you too.

The GC’s that you have leftover, you could turn those into OBC.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, milolii said:

The technical  difficulties aren’t new.  The shopping cart had an error that last most of September.  

Those seemed to have resolved as I purchased cards in both October and November without issue.  I guess the gremlins are back.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Oh, one more question.

And if it applies, like it does for me, once I buy my five - my wife can also buy five 🙂

4 hours ago, hattielucille11 said:

Incorrect as I have done it several times as I said in my previous post.

Where are you able to enter your gift cards to redeem them for OBC?  Because the only options the website gives as a payment method is Credit Cards or Pay Pal.

16 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

I called 3 times and tried to add them for OBC to my cruise, so I could book excursions.  It is a difficult transaction for the agents, as 3 different agents had a hard time adding them. 

Instead of adding them as OBC and then purchasing excursions with the OBC, can't you use them directly to purchase the excursions pre-cruise?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hattielucille11 said:

Go to your cruise summary page

Then to payments

Then to invoice/balance

Then they give you 3 choices:

credit card

Paypal

GIFT CARD

click on on gift card and enter the info they ask you for and done

I did it before I paid in full I entered $500 in AARP gift cards. So I have that plus the Shareholders and some other for a total of $1050. I am also carrying another $500 with me and if I need any of them I will go to guest services to add to my account or if I owe anything use them if I have a balance. I am going on the Christmas/NYE cruise solo and I fully intend to spend all of it as my Christmas present to my myself.

This method works if you've booked directly with Princess. If you've booked through a TA, it's not available.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Instead of adding them as OBC and then purchasing excursions with the OBC, can't you use them directly to purchase the excursions pre-cruise?

The excursions desk said I had to add them as OBC.  Gave up.  I just booked the excursions once OB.

On 12/5/2022 at 6:07 PM, darnoc23 said:

Do I just add gift cards at the cruise?  Would love to do it before so everything is on my account. 

I ordered 3 to pay off my balance and then just emailed them to my PVP. She did everything for me and sent me a note with the exact amount left over on the one card. If you have a PVP, use them to help you. If not, I'm happy to pass along my PV's contact info. She's amazing!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Where do you find the option to purchase OBC and pay with a gift card on the website? I’ve never seen the option to purchase OBC at all. In my experience you must phone to buy OBC or pay for excursions with gift cards

There is no option for using a Gift Card to buy OBC.  The screen you will get to is exactly the same as the one shown in Post #43 above, even if you book directly with Princess.  I called and used the chat, and both methods confirmed that if you want to apply a Gift Card toward OBC, you must call.  Every time I have called, I have been connected to someone who knew exactly what I was trying to do and completed my request in under 5 minutes.  If you want to pay down your existing cruise balance using a Gift Card, the radio button to do so appears.  But when you go to buy OBC, that radio button is non-existent.

• Like 2

Yesterday I bought Princess gift cards using my Citi Visa card.  In less than 10 minutes, the purchase amount was already showing "pending" in my credit card account, and I got emails from AARP giving me the gift cards' order # and pin #.

Around 15 minutes after I made my purchase, my sister used her Capital One credit card and bought Princess gift cards.  In about 15 minutes, my sister got an email from Capital One alerting a pending charge was made, and the amount shows as "pending" on her Capital One account.  It has been about 24 hours now, and she still haven't received any emails from AARP giving her the order # and pin # of the gift cards.

Anyone who purchased Princess gift cards from AARP waited more than 24 hours before receiving emails from AARP on the gift card order # and pin #?

Thank you.

17 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Anyone who purchased Princess gift cards from AARP waited more than 24 hours before receiving emails from AARP on the gift card order # and pin #?

Every time that I have purchased from AARP the cards arrive by email within 10 minutes. 

• Like 2