Noro-like outbreak on Viking River Cruise

khuselid

@Coral here in Germany they do have to report. But we don´t have a Federal health office where they have to report but the local ones. So a cruise ship in Hamburg has to report to the city of Hamburg´s health authorties.

Same for the rivers but there the health authorities are mainly located in the county administration.

There are for sure reports required in other European countries as well.

steamboats

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 8:01 AM, milling73 said:

There is very little any company can do in illness situations that will appease everyone. Removing or confining ill passengers infuriates those involved and stops others from going; doing nothing infuriates those who think the Company should have enforced restrictions. In the end,  It really should be up to individuals to take their own precautions / accepted risk. 

TBH I don’t expect a cruise line to attempt to appease everyone and I don’t cut them a much slack when it comes to maintaining safe and sanitary conditions on the ship. I expect them to take the actions proven and necessary to protect the crew and passengers from spread of a known illness. And I continue to hope (despite what I alltoo often see) that my fellow passengers take precautions so they don’t put me and others at risk. 

On 12/7/2022 at 2:55 PM, khuselid said:

It is sad, isn't it, that folks can be so self centered. That happened on our cruise and folks actually said they weren't going to isolate because it would ruin their vacation. On that cruise there were many who did get covid. But, I guess that's why the virus took such hold in this world as people have trouble seeing beyond their own noses. 

ITA. That’s the problem with preaching “individual responsibility.” We’ve all observed fellow pax picking food from a shared serving plate or tray with their hands. 

20 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

If you think about how norovirus spreads, it usually starts with an infected person contaminating surfaces, foods, or others with direct contact.  Often the cause is unsanitary food workers preparing the foods. Unfortunately the virus can linger for a while.  It is very different from the flu or Covid.

I would say I would probably avoid fresh foods once I knew there was an outbreak, and keep my distance from those who are ill.  My husband still carries and constantly uses hand sanitizer, and I would recommend that before touching any shared utensils. I might also avoid public bathrooms, or touching handrails.

Did you want the ship to stop the cruise, kick everybody off, sanitize everything, and throw away all fresh food?  I suppose they were just letting the illness runs its course if it was not severe...

The kitchens and food service areas on cruise ships likely follow sanitation protocols more better than many restaurants in the US. Don’t forget to sanitize your hands after handling shared utensils. 

No, I don’t expect a cruise line to throw everybody off; I do expect them to isolate people that are clearly contagious. Yes, I do expect them to institute enhanced sanitation protons throughout the ship. Even if there is not a problem with food borne disease I expect them to procure safe food, store it in a safe and sanitary manner, wash/prepare it properly, and maintain proper temperature until it is served. 

AND I just learned that hand sanitizers don't work on Norovirus. Soap and warm water do. Again, I think I am best off, going forward, on a cruiseline that doesn't allow self service buffets. I don't trust that all those folks will wash their hands between visits to the buffet😉

5 hours ago, khuselid said:

AND I just learned that hand sanitizers don't work on Norovirus. Soap and warm water do. Again, I think I am best off, going forward, on a cruiseline that doesn't allow self service buffets. I don't trust that all those folks will wash their hands between visits to the buffet😉

The stuff they used pre Covid does not work on Noro. But the stuff they are using now due to Covid is working on Noro too.

On an ocean cruise ship you can turn self serve buffet into served buffet (what has been done during the restart after the shutdown). On a river cruise ship this is not that easy as the buffet area is much smaller (more like a table you walk around) and there is no space for any person to serve the passengers. So many river cruise lines did change to a table service with a limited menu for breakfast or lunch. Some started out with ready made plates which can be picke up by the passengers or handed out by a server. So that is what you can do on a river cruise ship - not just because of Covid but also because of Noro.

steamboats

• Thanks 1