Apple or Garmin Watches on Celebrity

stevenr597

I have both an Apple Watch with cellular service as well as a Garmin Electronic Watch.

Can I use either watch  on a Celebrity Cruise?  I do not wish to be charged roaming charges for the Apple Watch if that is the one, I decide to take.  

12 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

I have both an Apple Watch with cellular service as well as a Garmin Electronic Watch.

Can I use either watch  on a Celebrity Cruise?  I do not wish to be charged roaming charges for the Apple Watch if that is the one, I decide to take.  

Your Apple Watch can be used on a Celebrity cruise. Your watch won’t roam unless you enable roaming with your carrier. 

Roaming is actually only technically possible on Apple Watches with the recently released WatchOS 9.1 and as of yet none of the carriers have yet announced when they will enable adding it to their plans. 

1 hour ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

Can you use the apple watch to unlock the door? Or anything else convenient ship-wise?  I have one that I do not ever wear, but it might be worth bringing if i could leave my phone in the room.

If you don’t wear your Apple Watch at home I don’t see any point of wearing it on the ship. I use mine at home for health and fitness and for notifications so I don’t have to take my phone out of my pocket unless necessary. Also up to date weather.  I also track my sleep. I use the tap to pay feature. When I used the DC metro it would open the fare gates. On a cruise I use it mostly to keep up with my fitness goals. 

As far as opening unlocking the door on a cruise while cruise lines could enable that I am not aware of any cruise line that has enabled unlocking doors. 

2 hours ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

Can you use the apple watch to unlock the door? Or anything else convenient ship-wise?  I have one that I do not ever wear, but it might be worth bringing if i could leave my phone in the room.

No.   They don't have the technology to use the iWatch in that manner.  

You should put your iWatch in airplane mode or may be surprised with satellite charges.

46 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You should put your iWatch in airplane mode or may be surprised with satellite charges.

Be sure to leave Bluetooth on when putting in airplane mode so that your phone can still communicate to your watch. You can find this in settings on the Apple watch. 

50 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

No.   They don't have the technology to use the iWatch in that manner.  

Apple watches don't need to be in airplane mode. The cellular models don't have international cell roaming enabled so they can't connect to cellular at sea. I have been taking my Apple Watch on cruises for years and have never put it in Airplane mode and never had a charge. 

For tracking fitness - be aware that if you are jogging / walking - it also tracks the ship's movement.  So your 3 or 4 mile walk or jog may wind up being a 24 mile walk or jog 🙂  (ask me how I learned this)  If you are in a contest with some friends, you'll win 😁

Edited by ehall
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ehall said:

For tracking fitness - be aware that if you are jogging / walking - it also tracks the ship's movement.  So your 3 or 4 mile walk or jog may wind up being a 24 mile walk or jog 🙂  (ask me how I learned this)  If you are in a contest with some friends, you'll win 😁

Mine hasn't done that in years. Any time I am on the ship walking outdoors, running on the treadmill or lifting, it asks every couple minutes if I am finished with my workout. Kind of annoying but it's just confused by the movement. 

21 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Mine hasn't done that in years. Any time I am on the ship walking outdoors, running on the treadmill or lifting, it asks every couple minutes if I am finished with my workout. Kind of annoying but it's just confused by the movement. 

Apple or Garmin?  If Garmin - how did you get around it?  It was logging the movement (I guess GPS tracking???) when we were walking on the outdoor track.  Maybe we need to turn off the mapping or something?

27 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I think if you set it to indoor walk you will get more accurate results...but personally I love walking the deck as we are pulling into a port..the resulting map is wild...looks like I was drunk. 🙂 First time I walked on the deck with my Apple Watch... I kidded DH that I must be setting a speed walking record...it kept going off telling me I had just done another mile...I think I did 14 miles in a 30 minute period

Edited by kearney
  • Haha 1