Tipping

Phalgal

19 hours ago, Parapara said:

How much easier it would be if there was no such thing as tipping. Coming from a country where we don’t tip, we know that if someone helps you in some way they are just being kind not looking for money. The one thing that is really worrying me is our future cruise leaving from New York. I have asked people, googled tipping but still have no idea who, how much and when we have to tip. I don’t want to end up with a smashed suitcase!

Here's what I do and why.  I always tip the porters.  I tip them very well (about $5 per bag).  I do that because I want my bag taken care of,  they are working on a weekend (generally), it's a job I don't want to do, and in the grand scheme of things (cruise cost), it's a drop in the bucket.  It also keeps them coming in on Sat. or Sun.  I've been on a cruise with no porters.  Not fun to have to find and "lug" your luggage by yourself with no help.  I say tip them and keep them working. 

As to ships crew, NO tip is expected.  We tipped our cabin steward on the last cruise for all she did for us. She balked at taking it, and seemed genuinely surprised.  We insisted as it was a 40 night cruise and she took VERY GOOD care of us.  

So.. tip as you want.  The tips are included so keep that in mind.  And don't worry at all what others do, just do as you wish.  The crew does not expect extra tip money.  So no need to worry about it.  

• Like 4

I usually tip the porters around $2-3 per bag rounded up so usually $15 for 4 bags.    Same at the airport.  In Belize a little different because I know "my porter" and he helps me get through customs without issues.  I tipped our butler last cruise as there were 3 of us in the PH and he did some extra things like decorating the room for DW's 60th and made arrangements for a nice B-day dinner at prime 7.  In the UK and Ireland, I tipped about 10 bucks per person for good tours.  

53 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

It also keeps them coming in on Sat. or Sun.  I've been on a cruise with no porters.  Not fun to have to find and "lug" your luggage by yourself with no help.  I say tip them and keep them working. 

Regarding Saturday and Sunday.  That is the job the porters signed up for.  Most of the cruise traffic in Miami is Sat and Sunday.  Many fewer departures/arrivals on weekdays.  Likely higher pay on the weekend keeps them working.

As to finding your bags that is at the end of your cruise and much more effort by the longshoremen at that point than at the beginning where the luggage is simply added to the available cart and pushed to the ship so not pertinent to this thread..

On 12/14/2022 at 8:42 AM, flossie009 said:

A first for us yesterday when the porters at Miami port asked for a tip when we handed over our bags

18 hours ago, Pcardad said:

They are not dangerous...just greedy and rude.

I should have made it clear that the gentleman requesting money for himself and his colleagues was polite, friendly & respectful. 
No aggression or rudeness whatsoever.

There is definitely a cultural difference regarding tipping in various parts of the world.

In Europe we have generally matured away from the reliance on tips that was more prevalent in service industries some years ago.
Tips for excellent service are still welcome and a ‘service charge’ is often added to restaurant bills.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wcsdkqh said:

Consider yourself fortunate.

Are you seriously saying that the Miami porters/baggage staff would purposely damage your luggage if you didn't give them money, surely that happened back in the Al Capone days, wasn't it called protection money then, not a tip.

On 12/14/2022 at 8:42 AM, flossie009 said:

A first for us yesterday when the porters at Miami port asked for a tip when we handed over our bags

Happened to us in November also… I felt that I was being blackmailed and gave more than normal because I was afraid luggage wouldn’t not get to my suite. Not a good practice…

sheila

11 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

....We tipped our cabin steward on the last cruise for all she did for us. She balked at taking it, and seemed genuinely surprised.....  

Never has any onboard staffed balked or acted surprised when I offered a tip. They've always thanked me very politely but accepted it as if it were a routine and anticipated event. This has been on all lines from the mass market lines (Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc.) where a daily tip charge is added to the account, to the luxury lines (Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn)  where it's advertised as included. 

14 hours ago, seasickphil said:

Are you seriously saying that the Miami porters/baggage staff would purposely damage your luggage if you didn't give them money, surely that happened back in the Al Capone days, wasn't it called protection money then, not a tip.

Correct.

19 hours ago, rallydave said:

Regarding Saturday and Sunday.  That is the job the porters signed up for.  Most of the cruise traffic in Miami is Sat and Sunday.  Many fewer departures/arrivals on weekdays.  Likely higher pay on the weekend keeps them working.

As to finding your bags that is at the end of your cruise and much more effort by the longshoremen at that point than at the beginning where the luggage is simply added to the available cart and pushed to the ship so not pertinent to this thread..

Yes, most cruise traffic in Miami IS on Sat. and Sun.  The porters agree to work on weekends because it's. profitable. It's profitable and worth their time so they "signed up" to work weekends.  It's profitable and worth their time because of tips.  Take away the tips and you'll see fewer and fewer porters giving up their weekends.  I have been to ports where there is only a couple of porters. It results in a long wait to get luggage both collected for boarding or assistance for going home. 

And since this was a discussion begun early, why do you think my response isn't pertinent?  I didn't start it, I simply comment on a number of comments.  

9 hours ago, sullaRaffaello said:

Never has any onboard staffed balked or acted surprised when I offered a tip. They've always thanked me very politely but accepted it as if it were a routine and anticipated event. This has been on all lines from the mass market lines (Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc.) where a daily tip charge is added to the account, to the luxury lines (Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn)  where it's advertised as included. 

I was referring specifically to our last Regent cruise.  The tip seemed totally unexpected and she seemed genuinely embarrassed to take it but was extremely grateful.  Can't speak to your experiences, only my own. 

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Yes, most cruise traffic in Miami IS on Sat. and Sun.  The porters agree to work on weekends because it's. profitable. It's profitable and worth their time so they "signed up" to work weekends.  It's profitable and worth their time because of tips.  Take away the tips and you'll see fewer and fewer porters giving up their weekends.  I have been to ports where there is only a couple of porters. It results in a long wait to get luggage both collected for boarding or assistance for going home. 

And since this was a discussion begun early, why do you think my response isn't pertinent?  I didn't start it, I simply comment on a number of comments.  

If the Miami porters partake in criminal damage if they don't get a big enough tip, then i would not care if there were no porters at all. I do realise that some people rely on assistance with luggage etc but i would rather look after my luggage myself instead of giving someone the chance of deliberately trashing it. I have never sailed out of Miami but judging on what has been said here i don't think i am missing much.

19 hours ago, seasickphil said:

Are you seriously saying that the Miami porters/baggage staff would purposely damage your luggage if you didn't give them money

2 hours ago, seasickphil said:

If the Miami porters partake in criminal damage if they don't get a big enough tip

What would be the point of them doing anything like this? It would not garner more tips and would probably lead to them losing a lucrative job.

Accidental damage to bags can occur at any time when they are being handled.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, seasickphil said:

If the Miami porters partake in criminal damage if they don't get a big enough tip, then i would not care if there were no porters at all. I do realise that some people rely on assistance with luggage etc but i would rather look after my luggage myself instead of giving someone the chance of deliberately trashing it. I have never sailed out of Miami but judging on what has been said here i don't think i am missing much.

I NEVER once suggested that damage was intentional.  What an absurd allegation.  Damage does happen, but it would be very hard to prove intention.  And to accuse someone of criminal conduct with nothing more than "gee I didn't tip so they purposely damaged my luggage" is pretty arrogant. 

But if you're worried about it I suggest you hand carry all your luggage yourself.  For me, I want porters so I don;'t have to hand carry mine. I'm on vacation and don't want to have to work any harder than I need to. 

Edited by papaflamingo

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I NEVER once suggested that damage was intentional.  What an absurd allegation.  Damage does happen, but it would be very hard to prove intention.  And to accuse someone of criminal conduct with nothing more than "gee I didn't tip so they purposely damaged my luggage" is pretty arrogant. 

But if you're worried about it I suggest you hand carry all your luggage yourself.  For me, I want porters so I don;'t have to hand carry mine. I'm on vacation and don't want to have to work any harder than I need to. 

papaflamingo 

I apologise, it was wcsdkqh who suggested this could happen in post 37.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/15/2022 at 6:45 AM, Pcardad said:

$5 per bag to port handlers because the money is nothing vs losing a bag or having it destroyed.

I understand that is the case in USA but what about in Europe people are paid a living wage? Do they even expect a tip?

• 4 months later...

There is no obligation to tip. Few passengers do it. 

However, I did tip my favorite bartender, drink waiter and server $20 each about four days into our 12 day trip. They were very grateful and seemed to up their game around me for the rest of the cruise. 

The best free way to thank your favorite staffer is to mention them in cruise reviews and surveys. That helps them get promoted or re-hired for a new contract.

Another way to say thanks may be to learn how to say “Thank You” in their native tongue. When I did that, it surprised and pleased them 

• Like 2