Can you disembark prior to last port?

Shirt-man

A couple that we travel with did this on another line earlier this year in Europe.  As stated, you have to get an approved route deviation before-hand.  One thing that *might* affect an approval is whether or not there is a customs/border control office at the port you wish to exit at.

• Like 1

Yes this is possible PROVIDED the ship makes the port of call and does not skip it.  This has happened before in Le Havre due to heavy winds and once due to a labor strike of port workers.  Then you have to deal with whatever onward arrangements you made from Le Havre on your own.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, paradiselivin1 said:

Someone on our current cruise in the Caribbean will be doing that. Yes, you have to apply but Princess will not talk to us about doing the same thing next year UNTIL final payment is made. Makes sense.

We had our route deviation approved 3 months ago and final payment is not due until February, we are still not PIF.

9 minutes ago, Shoalwater said:

Yes this is possible PROVIDED the ship makes the port of call and does not skip it.  This has happened before in Le Havre due to heavy winds and once due to a labor strike of port workers.  Then you have to deal with whatever onward arrangements you made from Le Havre on your own.

Oh my, hadn't even considered that. Better get that trip insurance in place!

52 minutes ago, karylrocks said:

Oh my, hadn't even considered that. Better get that trip insurance in place!

I would first check with the trip insurer you choose to determine whether this voluntary separation from the cruise is covered for expenses should the port not be made.  If its linked to the cruise it could be a problem.  These policies have  exclusions that can trip you up.  We got stranded in Cairo during the 2011 Arab Spring revolution and were denied coverage due to the "civil unrest" exclusion.

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2022 at 10:38 AM, karylrocks said:

You can but you need to apply and receive permission. We will be doing this in May.

We are thinking to disembark early at Le Havre on our 12 day British Isle cruise in June. I just called Princess Cruise and she told me just simply let them know on the first day of cruise. What number to call to apply the permission? Thanks.

8 hours ago, fenski said:

We are thinking to disembark early at Le Havre on our 12 day British Isle cruise in June. I just called Princess Cruise and she told me just simply let them know on the first day of cruise. What number to call to apply the permission? Thanks.

I was told that we needed to apply for a route deviation and be approved by the cruise line and the disembarking country. I do not know what number to call as this was handled by my travel agent. This is my confirmation email from Princess:

Hello,

Attached is your route sector approval letter, please read the entire letter and follow instructions. It is very important that you have a copy of the letter with you at embarkation. If you don’t have the letter with you, you may not be able to debark early.

REQUEST FOR DEVIATION FROM SCHEDULED CRUISE ITINERARY
**Please make sure the guests are aware of the following:
*** Guests must present this form to Guests Services Desk upon embarkation of
cruise
* Princess Cruises is not responsible for missed ports or any expenses incurred in getting to or from the next port of call if the ship does not arrive at the requested port of embarkation or disembarkation, or if the ship is delayed for any reason.
* There is no reduction in cruise fare for any missed nights of a cruise due to a requested route change.
* Guests are responsible for obtaining any necessary visas or travel documents, and for researching what those requirements are.

On 3/13/2023 at 8:09 AM, fenski said:

i am doing this for the British isles cruise June 1 st getting off LeHavre port.  I would suggest to appy for the "route deviation" just in case beforehand.  It is a simple pocedure and then you don't have to worry and can make plans.  My TA did it and got my answer the next day.

On 3/15/2023 at 5:01 PM, mauiluver said:

i am doing this for the British isles cruise June 1 st getting off LeHavre port.  I would suggest to appy for the "route deviation" just in case beforehand.  It is a simple pocedure and then you don't have to worry and can make plans.  My TA did it and got my answer the next day.

We are on the same cruise! We used Princess cruise vacation planner and she stopped communication with me which is why I called Princess customer service twice. Both answers were to talk to the staff at check in on 6/1. 

11 hours ago, fenski said:

We are on the same cruise! We used Princess cruise vacation planner and she stopped communication with me which is why I called Princess customer service twice. Both answers were to talk to the staff at check in on 6/1. 

And assuming you read the 2 posts prior to yours, you see approval can be had pre-cruise and it is one of the services that a TA can perform for you (at no cost to you). That is a much better way to go than talking to the staff at check in.

It sounds like your Princess vacation planner either did not know how to do it or did not want to bother with the extra work involved.