Chankanaab Review Dec 2022

kayjaypea42

Hi all.  I just got back from a cruise where I went to Chankanaab for the first time. I thought I'd post a few pictures that would help with questions that I previously had. 

1. Q:  How's the beach?

A:  The sand is white and soft, and the view is incredible.  They have chairs shaded with permanent straw umbrella, chairs that are in direct sunshine, chairs that are shaded by palms, and hammocks both alone and in a "hammock area".  I opted to drop my stuff in a shaded chair thinking I'd sit there for a bit, but in the end I just enjoyed the nearby hammock.  It was amazing!

20221207_103223.thumb.jpg.acd653397132ee96e14fe1592a07250f.jpg

2. Q: But how do you get into the water?

A: For most of the stretch of beach, you enter and exit the water via stairs that are metal-slatted.  Be careful.  They are slippery and the waves can really crash into you going in.  But once you're in, the water was much calmer and I had no problem snorkeling for 2 hours.  There's also a very small area that is a traditional beach with covered lounge chairs and walk-in access to the ocean.  It's a beautiful area, but quite small.   That said, there are more chairs just a short distance away from it, so if you wanted to stay in that area, you'd just walk the short distance into the walk-in beach area.

20221207_145707.thumb.jpg.00795c9b31298ab06804b31c831a5152.jpg20221207_102849.thumb.jpg.a1f466614ac38f168ed8e3f476f564c2.jpg

3.  Q: How was the snorkeling?  I've heard mixed reviews.

A: I thought it was beautiful! I didn't see anything like a stingray or turtle, but there was lots of colorful fish.  There was one moment when a whole school of bright Sgt. Major fish (I think that's what they're called...) swam right around me, some of them even brushing my side.  It was quite a magical moment! There are reefs both deep and shallow, and statues as well.  Best of all, there was no one to tell me that I had to stay in a small area with 9,000 other snorkelers! If I wanted to swim out, I absolutely could (and did!)

20221207_120651.thumb.jpg.f09e608cbc795babd13bfb0bf3afec9d.jpg20221207_115601.thumb.jpg.d50b73ffd8b15be998665e3567c51e0d.jpg

20221207_113647.jpg

(I don't know why the statue images are upside down... I don't know how to fix it.)

4.) Q: How was the food?

A: Ok, for this...gotta be 100% honest...it SUCKED, especially for the all-inclusive options.  It was a dinky buffet with unseasoned food and lines that spiraled around the building.  I would strongly suggest skipping the AI option and instead going to an independent operator in the park for some food and drinks.  But for me, that was the only downside and not at all a problem since I had a big breakfast on the ship and I'm not a big drinker.

I didn't have time to go explore the replicas, but I sampled some Tequila.  Good stuff! All in all, probably my best day on the cruise!

Edited by kayjaypea42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Chankanaab Park has been my favorite destination on my solo cruises. I have been there 4 times and LOVED it the first 3 times. But I will be finding something else to do on my next cruise. Everything the OP said is true .. beautiful beach, great snorkeling, free chairs and lots of shade.

I always ate at the far restaurant. They have a very interesting Mexican plate with a small portion of lots of different mexican foods. In 2021 it was $22 and beers were $2 or $3. In 2022 the same plate was $50 and the beers were $5 .... prices doubled.  And with the $23 entry fee it is much cheaper to go to an all inclusive.

But if you decide to go .... go online and get the $2 coupon to save on the entry fee.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, vakamalua said:
  • Were there taxis readily available to get back to the ship?  yes
  • Can you snore off the little sandy beach? yes although usually from step access, slippy
  • Is there a swimming pool there? yes

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 10:31 AM, kayjaypea42 said:

4.) Q: How was the food?

A: Ok, for this...gotta be 100% honest...it SUCKED, especially for the all-inclusive options.  It was a dinky buffet with unseasoned food and lines that spiraled around the building.  I would strongly suggest skipping the AI option...

How much did it cost? I see $26 to get in the park (and you can find a $2 coupon), then what is the AI option? More than $26?

19 minutes ago, fndecker said:

How much did it cost? I see $26 to get in the park (and you can find a $2 coupon), then what is the AI option? More than $26?

Obviously more than $26, since that is the entrance fee to the park. I see the AI buffet and 2 beers for $39 on viator. I thought it used to be be an option on the Chankanaab site but not seeing it at the moment.

If you can’t get a good package, price food and drinks at the beach bars are better, and pay independently.

Depends how many in your party but we got a good sale price through the ship which included taxi - about $10-12 each way ( for 4).

Edited by c-leg5

12 hours ago, fndecker said:

I used the Ship's option, which I think was listed for $69, but with NCL's excursion credit, I got it for $19.  That included transportation to and from.   I don't know how much it currently is to just get a ticket and get a taxi independently.

I'm on Virgin and I don't see that as a part of any of their excursions. The advertising and reviews are confusing, but now I can see that it is $12 each way for a Taxi and either $39 for an average buffet or $26-$2 with a coupon and take your chances on food. I'm looking at the dive options now. Looks like the #3 and the #6 huts have gear and it may be around $40-$50 for an hour and one tank dive

On 1/27/2023 at 10:24 AM, kayjaypea42 said:

I used the Ship's option, which I think was listed for $69, but with NCL's excursion credit, I got it for $19.  That included transportation to and from.   I don't know how much it currently is to just get a ticket and get a taxi independently.

Can you tell me if the bus left relatively on time? I'm trying to book something in the park myself but don't know if I'll be sitting on a bus waiting for late people. Also, did the excursion give you enough time at the park? TIA

On 2/3/2023 at 4:40 PM, kuku77254 said:

Can you tell me if the bus left relatively on time? I'm trying to book something in the park myself but don't know if I'll be sitting on a bus waiting for late people. Also, did the excursion give you enough time at the park? TIA

They had 3 or 4 times to leave, roughly every hour.  They tell you the times.  If I recall correctly, the last one was around 3:30 for me.  I got there about 15 minutes early and waited in a covered, but open area until my group was ready and then they put you in a cab to go home.  Easy! As for going...that was a little more chaotic.  We waited outside for about 30 mins or so before we were able to go.  Everyone was there; we weren't waiting on a person, just the bus.

Chank is easy to do on your own.  After you make your way through the maze of stores and to the exit you will find a line of taxis that will take you to Chank for a nominal fee.  Plenty waiting to take you back to the pier.  Just remember which pier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, clackey said:

Chank is easy to do on your own.  After you make your way through the maze of stores and to the exit you will find a line of taxis that will take you to Chank for a nominal fee.  Plenty waiting to take you back to the pier.  Just remember which pier.

Thats true but sometimes when ship excursions are on sale it is better value to book through the ship, with transport included. Of course the trade off is starting time but with Chankanaab there are usually options as PP said.

We have done it both ways - always worth checking.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 1:04 AM, c-leg5 said:

Thats true but sometimes when ship excursions are on sale it is better value to book through the ship, with transport included. Of course the trade off is starting time but with Chankanaab there are usually options as PP said.

Yep! Like I said, I did it via NCL since I was the only one going and was able to use the $50 excursion credit.  With transportation and food, it cost me $19, which I couldn't have done cheaper on my own.  If I had done the non-All-inclusive version (I will next time) it would have cost me $9.  Hard to beat that.  Actually, if you are with a large group, and there's one person per room who doesn't mind being separated from your larger group for the sake of transportation, just establish a meeting point and split up to get the better deal from the ship while the rest take advantage of the cheaper price of doing it yourself.