Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

22 minutes ago, mlmbar said:

No, he said if the doors are left open just like if you leave the balcony doors open. So much for openness like a cabana. I think cabana  is a misnomer. This is not a cabana but maybe a lounge like they called in the video 

See that was one of the draws for the cabanas, at least for me. I saw it, based on the video, as a way to make a bigger cabin or a bigger balcony, depending on which doors you close and which you leave open. It’s looking like it might not work that way.

28 minutes ago, mlmbar said:

I thought there would be a bigger balcony but it looks no bigger than a standard cabin. 

That's the issue with the P&O design - just a standard balcony room except for the cabana space.  This video is just a re-hash of Emma Cruises video which we discussed back in post #97 of this thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlmbar said:

Obviously I did not see that. Sorry! Just tried to help SMH

Not to worry - it's just vloggers doing their stuff to get views. 😁

Edited by dides
  • Like 1

Just now, mlmbar said:

Ben and David are good reviewers and quite entertaining. 

Hey I do know them to chat to and they are very nice. But the issue with this cabin type is old news. 

• Like 1

It may be old news to you but it wasn’t to me. Like I said, I missed the post you referred to and I bet others did also.  We are all trying to make the best choices for ourselves. It is like buying a house from a floor plan. I have changed my booking four times as I have learned more. There are others here trying as I am. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mlmbar said:

It may be old news to you but it wasn’t to me. Like I said, I missed the post you referred to and I bet others did also.  We are all trying to make the best choices for ourselves. It is like buying a house from a floor plan. I have changed my booking four times as I have learned more. There are others here trying as I am. 

The previous video on here about the cabanas on the P&O ship were with a female influencer rather than the male couple, and I don’t recall her video illustrating the darkness of the cabin. So you may not have missed anything after all, but I can’t swear to it. 

3 hours ago, vjmatty said:

See that was one of the draws for the cabanas, at least for me. I saw it, based on the video, as a way to make a bigger cabin or a bigger balcony, depending on which doors you close and which you leave open. It’s looking like it might not work that way.

I thought it might be a nice place to sit on a rainy or cold day that was somewhat outside but it just looks like a darker part of the inside.

It'll be interesting to hear from people who actually sail in them.

• Like 1

Exactly!  Would be more useful on EU cruises where it might be cooler. Very curious. I returned to my “safe place “ reserve mini suite since this is so unknown. Not a risk taker with my vacation 

15 minutes ago, mlmbar said:

Exactly!  Would be more useful on EU cruises where it might be cooler. Very curious. I returned to my “safe place “ reserve mini suite since this is so unknown. Not a risk taker with my vacation 

Us, also. We are doing B2B - first one in a reserve mini and second one in a Signature Suite (which looks to be the same size as the mini but includes the Signature amenities.)

• Like 1

I really wanted to book one and when we booked our cruise they were not available. I’m sort of glad. The more information I receive and learn about the cabana staterooms, I don’t think we would enjoy it at all. Unless however, we were able to get one overlooking the water. But having people walk in front of our “balcony” isn’t my thing. (At least I don’t feel like it is)

21 minutes ago, vividharp said:

I really wanted to book one and when we booked our cruise they were not available. I’m sort of glad. The more information I receive and learn about the cabana staterooms, I don’t think we would enjoy it at all. Unless however, we were able to get one overlooking the water. But having people walk in front of our “balcony” isn’t my thing. (At least I don’t feel like it is)

We are booked all the way forward on the reserve deck. Our rooms don’t have anyone walking in front so you aren’t necessarily locked into having that occur by booking one

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

We are booked all the way forward on the reserve deck. Our rooms don’t have anyone walking in front so you aren’t necessarily locked into having that occur by booking one

We were originally booked on the sun deck and then our planner moved us to all the way forward so we wouldn't be on the sun deck and our balcony on the ocean. However, we were the last cabin, might as well  be on  the bridge, LOL and seeing the size of the ship, we were very unhappy with the distance from all activities and restaurants. As a result of all the uncertainties involving cabana minisuites, etc we just moved to a reserve mini suite on deck 15 mid ship.  Location was more important than that cabin. Sounds like you are right where we had been 

53 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

Exactly! There are more of the Reserve Cabana mini suites that don't have anyone in front of you than those that do. I think there is a lot of speculation without any real information. We really won't know anything about the Princess Cabanas until the first cruises!

• Like 3

C1 - reserve class mini suite cabana room  will look out on the Caban Deck - much like the earier Iona P&O review  fronting to the promenade

C2 -reserve class mini suite cabana room have the balcony ponoti directly look out but will have access to the cabana deck. 

But the balcony area above is exposed to people from above just like the minis on the grand class ships - which didn't bother me too much

Both categories will have TVS in the cabana area and both have their storage areas not obstructed by the couch as in the P&O review so it seems Princess have taken a step further to iron out a few of these issues that have arisen on other companies boats with similar categories

However as has been commented, i cannot wait to hear on the reviews come next month.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aussiecruiser275 said:

C1 - reserve class mini suite cabana room  will look out on the Caban Deck - much like the earier Iona P&O review  fronting to the promenade

C2 -reserve class mini suite cabana room have the balcony ponoti directly look out but will have access to the cabana deck. 

But the balcony area above is exposed to people from above just like the minis on the grand class ships - which didn't bother me too much

Both categories will have TVS in the cabana area and both have their storage areas not obstructed by the couch as in the P&O review so it seems Princess have taken a step further to iron out a few of these issues that have arisen on other companies boats with similar categories

However as has been commented, i cannot wait to hear on the reviews come next month.

I’ve voiced it before and I think it will be true. C2 cabanas will have tall glass so no railing to look out over

1 hour ago, fpsphil said:

I’ve voiced it before and I think it will be true. C2 cabanas will have tall glass so no railing to look out over

See that I don’t understand. Why do that when no balcony has ever needed double-height glass before, in fact no other balcony cabins on this ship will have it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vjmatty said:

See that I don’t understand. Why do that when no balcony has ever needed double-height glass before, in fact no other balcony cabins on this ship will have it. 

I'm guessing they have the high glass just because the other parts of that deck (outside dining areas and the Cabana deck) need them and they think it will look better with continuity.  Not that I'm very happy about it, but that's my guess.

• Like 2

Could it be about sailing and /or wind issues???

Those that are not inset, overlooking the exclusive cabana deck, will be overlooking the sea...  But, do appear to have full height blue glass.

I am with those who do not think I would want that enclosed cabana area between me and the sunshine and balcony.

Traveling with 3 or 4 in the cabin, it would give that much needed space.

We will have to wait and see how it all looks IRL, and how the doors in and out of that cabana area work.

It won't be long!!!!

I was wondering about the possibility that the glass is for wind issues. This is a whole newly design ship, so I think it’s impossible to compare this with the ships that were already familiar with. The other issue that I had, which led me to then move to a reserve, mini suite and forgo the cabana is it doesn’t look as though there will be any kind of shade on the cabana deck. I can’t sit out in the sun without an umbrella so the cabana deck would be no use to me. After having recently returned from Celebrity equinox of the southern Caribbean where it was 95° , it was impossible to sit in the sun at the pool without some kind of a cover. 

• Like 1

My wife and I are currently booked for the Sun's first TA in a C2 reserve cabana.  I'm not overly concerned about the balcony not being covered as we can use part of the cabana portion as a covered balcony.  I'm more concerned about the tall glass as I'm a person who likes to look out over the ocean while having a beer, while sailing into our out of the ports etc.  So that may not be as nice with tall glass, but we're going to give the room and cabana deck a try and see what happens.  Heck, with doing a TA and weather being quite the luck of the draw the tall glass might even be a good thing for that cruise and hanging out on the balcony when we are in the room. Time will tell!  And worst case, once real reviews come in we have 6-7 months to consider a room change since we don't sail until late Sept.

• Like 4