Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

16 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

And that whole area looks really stupid. Great, little kids can run in then fountains for a little while or go down a slide. Yawn!  What is the point of “The Lookout”?

I am with you. I immediately think that this is a Royal Caribbean or Carnival ship. For me, it is not visually appealing. It will not be long now when we hear reports from the "pioneer" cruisers on this ship.

11 minutes ago, nini said:

I am with you. I immediately think that this is a Royal Caribbean or Carnival ship. For me, it is not visually appealing. It will not be long now when we hear reports from the "pioneer" cruisers on this ship.

A lot of people complained about the Royal class because of the sea walk feature. I don't do suites, but I understand the disappointment of no rear facing suites. I like the look of the Sun, but that is me. The "mousetrap game" reference for the Icon OTS is priceless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

A lot of people complained about the Royal class because of the sea walk feature. I don't do suites, but I understand the disappointment of no rear facing suites. I like the look of the Sun, but that is me. The "mousetrap game" reference for the Icon OTS is priceless.

We have never had a suite; however we love our aft Premium Balconies and select on with the large balcony (often on the Dolphin deck).

• Like 1

We have heard Richard Parker (The Princess expert of all things Sun.) say in many of the shipyard videos, that the Sphere Class has been in the works for 6 or 7 years.  This is just conjecture on my part, but I believe that real estate on deck 19, was originally allocated to the tried-and-true basketball court and mini-golf course, like on previous ships.  The reason for my belief, is that during the "reveal" Zoom meeting for Park 19, the question was asked why there wasn't going to be a basketball/pickleball court.  The response was "they hadn't figured that out yet".  Really!  Six months till sailing, a nearly completed ship, and you're just now trying to figure out where to put something with such a huge footprint as a basketball/pickleball court! 

I believe that in the not to distant past, someone at "mother Carnival Corporation" decided that they needed to have a greater differentiation between the Princess and Holland America brands.  Where Princess would become THE alternative for passengers and families looking for a more upscale cruise experience, somewhere midway between Carnival's family-centric "Fun Ships" and Holland America's staid and laid-back "Classic Cruising".  So, Princess executives were given the job to make this happen.

Their problem was how to accomplish this, without alienating the majority of their loyal passenger base, who were happy with the way things were.  So, like most executives who want to cover their a--es, they do focus group testing, and use the results as an excuse if things go badly.

I can picture the New-Build Department receiving a memo from on-high, telling them they need to somehow modify that new ship, that has been in the works for years now, at this last minute (so to speak), to somehow make it a family-friendly hybrid.  And, by the way, in doing so, don't screw up any of the current aspects that our current loyalists love.

The New-Build Dept. looked at their mostly finished baby, and realized that they had just been thrown under the bus, with a near impossible task.  They probably looked at one another asking, "where can we put something that will appease our bosses, while being mostly out of sight from our current loyalists".  The answer being that out-of-the-way area up on deck 19.  So, someone was tasked with making a list of every top-deck family-based activity, currently available on every Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian ship.  With that list in hand, they ruled out anything that wasn't possible from an engineering standpoint at that late date; as well as anything that wouldn't be cost effective (to keep the bean counters happy).  Whatever remained on the list was sent to focus group testing.  The results of which, became the mish-mosh, after-thought known as Park 19.

I'll go out on a limb, and predict that if that area isn't well received, under-utilized, or it becomes too off-putting, it will be replaced at the last minute, with something else on the Star.

I'm also looking forward to seeing where they finally shoehorned in that overlooked basketball/pickleball court. 

Aaron Janis, MCC   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

We have heard Richard Parker (The Princess expert of all things Sun.) say in many of the shipyard videos, that the Sphere Class has been in the works for 6 or 7 years.  This is just conjecture on my part, but I believe that real estate on deck 19, was originally allocated to the tried-and-true basketball court and mini-golf course, like on previous ships.  The reason for my belief, is that during the "reveal" Zoom meeting for Park 19, the question was asked why there wasn't going to be a basketball/pickleball court.  The response was "they hadn't figured that out yet".  Really!  Six months till sailing, a nearly completed ship, and you're just now trying to figure out where to put something with such a huge footprint as a basketball/pickleball court! 

I believe that in the not to distant past, someone at "mother Carnival Corporation" decided that they needed to have a greater differentiation between the Princess and Holland America brands.  Where Princess would become THE alternative for passengers and families looking for a more upscale cruise experience, somewhere midway between Carnival's family-centric "Fun Ships" and Holland America's staid and laid-back "Classic Cruising".  So, Princess executives were given the job to make this happen.

Their problem was how to accomplish this, without alienating the majority of their loyal passenger base, who were happy with the way things were.  So, like most executives who want to cover their a--es, they do focus group testing, and use the results as an excuse if things go badly.

I can picture the New-Build Department receiving a memo from on-high, telling them they need to somehow modify that new ship, that has been in the works for years now, at this last minute (so to speak), to somehow make it a family-friendly hybrid.  And, by the way, in doing so, don't screw up any of the current aspects that our current loyalists love.

The New-Build Dept. looked at their mostly finished baby, and realized that they had just been thrown under the bus, with a near impossible task.  They probably looked at one another asking, "where can we put something that will appease our bosses, while being mostly out of sight from our current loyalists".  The answer being that out-of-the-way area up on deck 19.  So, someone was tasked with making a list of every top-deck family-based activity, currently available on every Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian ship.  With that list in hand, they ruled out anything that wasn't possible from an engineering standpoint at that late date; as well as anything that wouldn't be cost effective (to keep the bean counters happy).  Whatever remained on the list was sent to focus group testing.  The results of which, became the mish-mosh, after-thought known as Park 19.

I'll go out on a limb, and predict that if that area isn't well received, under-utilized, or it becomes too off-putting, it will be replaced at the last minute, with something else on the Star.

I'm also looking forward to seeing where they finally shoehorned in that overlooked basketball/pickleball court. 

Aaron Janis, MCC   

I enjoyed reading your post. Pickleball has become very popular on land and at sea, so I am surprised that this has not been accommodated.

The new Sun will either be a smashing success, with something for everyone; or a white elephant. However, I praise Princess for stepping out of their comfort zone.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, nini said:

I don’t think it’s anywhere near as visible as the water parks on the other ships, if at all from off the ship. I can’t even see it on those sea trials videos. The designers seem to have deliberately kept it somewhat hidden unless you’re on the same deck looking at it. Hopefully it’s easy to avoid.

I had two cruises last year on Enchantment of the Seas, a smaller, older ship about the size of Coral Princess. Apparently there was a rock climbing wall. Never noticed it 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

I only want to try Princess for once when Celebrity performed too bad.

Not interested in the theme park up there. I want great food and super friendly service and a new ship.

It’s not really a theme park from what I can tell. It seems more like a glorified sports deck. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vjmatty said:

It’s not really a theme park from what I can tell. It seems more like a glorified sports deck. 

Yeah, I was just trying to find any category for "that"...

Looking very much forward to constructive reviews from customers soon. I could still swap this for a week Hawaii 🤓

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

This is my hope for some of the other design flaws, especially the earlier mentioned double-height blue balcony glass on the C2 cabanas….yes I’m obsessed….people will complain and Princess will correct their mistakes with the Star. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

Looking very much forward to constructive reviews from customers soon. I could still swap this for a week Hawaii 🤓

Same here….Sun sails one week before our vacation starts next month. Hopefully there will be a “live from” thread or two 

• Like 3

Something tells me that the double-high blue glass has to be there for some real logistic reason.

Perhaps it is only because that whole exposed open deck area would not really be useable when windy at all, or underway at any higher speed???   When you look at these photos, it is amazing. how wide and 'open' that deck is.

Maybe some people would appreciate the more enclosed/protected space?

When one is on the pool decks, or the Sanctuary, etc..  (except for the very AFT) there are always wind barriers to navigate and higher glass.

• Like 2

Speaking of the Sanctuary, it looks like that higher deck, with Park 19 and the jogging track could actually overlook down over the Sanctuary...  I do not see that as a good thing.

Will be waiting in line for the doors to open, get cleared, and rush to see I we can reserve loungers, just the same...  But, no way can this be as great as the Sanctuary on the first Royal Class ships.  Especially since the wake-view is Signature ONLY.    

Looking at the bright side...  being located where it is, it might not get closed down so often due to wind!

1 hour ago, Nemanoxer said:

I only want to try Princess for once when Celebrity performed too bad.

Not interested in the theme park up there. I want great food and super friendly service and a new ship.

We loved the Sky last June.... crew and all!

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

I don’t think it’s anywhere near as visible as the water parks on the other ships, if at all from off the ship. I can’t even see it on those sea trials videos. The designers seem to have deliberately kept it somewhat hidden unless you’re on the same deck looking at it. Hopefully it’s easy to avoid.

I had two cruises last year on Enchantment of the Seas, a smaller, older ship about the size of Coral Princess. Apparently there was a rock climbing wall. Never noticed it 🤷🏻‍♀️

I guess we will have to hear from our fellow cruisers next month.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nemanoxer said:

Book a Signature Category cabin for dining, book the Love experience. Book the Butcher’s Block for food.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

This is my hope for some of the other design flaws, especially the earlier mentioned double-height blue balcony glass on the C2 cabanas….yes I’m obsessed….people will complain and Princess will correct their mistakes with the Star. 

We’ll be in one of the C2 cabana cabins with the potential high glass on the inaugural. I’ll report back.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, dog said:

Book a Signature Category cabin for dining, book the Love experience. Book the Butcher’s Block for food.

Is that past tense?  Is it booked or is that a check list. We still can’t book Love yet. The only thing we are interested in. 

59 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Is that past tense?  Is it booked or is that a check list. We still can’t book Love yet. The only thing we are interested in. 

I have seen only a few on early cruises in Sun able to book MDR, so far.

My response was for OP.

20 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

ah!  Love is not bookable for any of us. 

Well, it was for a few days for those of us who booked full suites!

I booked LOVE  for the first night and it was complimentary.

Then poof! It disappeared!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dog said:

I know!  As soon as I heard I went to do it and they had already fixed the error. 

14 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Something tells me that the double-high blue glass has to be there for some real logistic reason.

Perhaps it is only because that whole exposed open deck area would not really be useable when windy at all, or underway at any higher speed???   When you look at these photos, it is amazing. how wide and 'open' that deck is.

Maybe some people would appreciate the more enclosed/protected space?

When one is on the pool decks, or the Sanctuary, etc..  (except for the very AFT) there are always wind barriers to navigate and higher glass.

If it were only on the common cabana deck I’d agree. Unfortunately it’s also on the cabana minis whose balconies are directly on the ocean. In other words, your own personal balcony will have 6 feet high blue glass. 

9 hours ago, dog said:

Same here. 😂

• Like 1